• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
A Better South Walton, the group behind incorporating the 26-mile-long piece of land known locally as South Walton, has released a summary of its proposed charter.

“A charter is the bylaws of a new city’s basic structure, and the second step required towards incorporation,” said the group’s president, David Pleat.

The first step was a feasibility study, which was completed earlier in the year.

The charter for the proposed new municipality will have a seven-member city council/mayor form of government working under a city manager. The mayor will be a voting entity.

There will be three existing council seat districts and four at large. The three existing districts are Miramar, Santa Rosa Beach, and Point Washington/Rosemary.

All will serve four-year terms, with no term limits.

The charter can be amended through the incorporation process at any time.

The proposed salaries, which Pleat said is enough to attract quality people, will be $120,000 annually for the city manager, $12,000 a year for council members, and $15,000 a year for the mayor.

“We looked at similar-size cities to come up with the pay scale,” said Pleat.

The next step towards incorporation is choosing a name for the collective communities that will make up the municipality.

Pleat said there are four options that have been decided upon, and they are listed on the ABSW website for the community to vote on.

They are: Town of South Walton; Village of South Walton; Villages of South Walton; or City of South Walton. Votes on the name should be cast in the next couple of weeks, he said.

The feasibility study, proposed charter and the municipality’s name will be submitted to the Florida Legislature in the fall and if it gets approval, a non-partisan referendum should appear on ballot in August 2017. If it passes, Dec. 4 could be the first actual City Council meeting.

One community member who read the charter summary and said she thinks it is a great idea is Suzanne Harris, who formerly served on the Walton County Planning Commission.

“It’s a step in the right direction. We have got to do something,” she said.

Only registered voters living south of the bay in Walton County would be able to vote on the issue of incorporation.

This charter summary is the framework for what will later become the final charter. The final charter, after community input on a name is collected, is what will be presented to the local State Representative in early September.

A Better South Walton is made up of a group of citizen volunteers who share a concern about the future of their community.

Their mission is to seek more effective governance and local representation for South Walton to preserve and enhance its unique character, property values, and quality of life.

To find out more, visit the website at www.abettersouthwalton.org.

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Wait a minute.

These are the choices for the name of the new town?
Town of South Walton; Village of South Walton; Villages of South Walton; or City of South Walton​

Really?

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Wait a minute.

These are the choices for the name of the new town?
Town of South Walton; Village of South Walton; Villages of South Walton; or City of South Walton​

Really?
Hmmm. Hey, SOWAL, how about lending your name to the new town if it happens? It is definitely shorter and already well known!

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Hmmm. Hey, SOWAL, how about lending your name to the new town if it happens? It is definitely shorter and already well known!

My thoughts:

1. Santa Rosa Beach - has the historic significance and USPS customary use.
[There is a santa rosa in california. Might create confusion.]

2. South Walton - it's traditional and pretty well known but I prefer "South Walton Beach" because I think it is important to have "beach" in the name, although I'm sure many will object that it will get confused with Fort Walton Beach.
[southwaltonbeach.com is owned by a realtor.]
[southwalton.com is owned by a unpopular markerter. Never start a company (or a city) with a name you don't own and no one should pay the kind of money they would want for it.]

3. Something completely new - South Walton Riviera, Sunshine Beach, Emerald Beach , etc. - there could be a hundred choices that are better than 1. or 2. - but have to be considered carefully and researched globally to make sure nothing too similar exists. Also try to pick something with available domain name.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
The city would be eligible for a municipal TLD so they can have whatever URL they want.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
The city would be eligible for a municipal TLD so they can have whatever URL they want.
I know but that's not the point - you want to be able to control the .com and other TLDs whether you are a city, a company, or an org.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
...I prefer "South Walton Beach" because I think it is important to have "beach" in the name

Ditto. The choices in the original charter post seem limited and leave out the area's main economic generator. It seems like a city name without the word "beach" in it would be unwise.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Just an observation: Multi-word city/town names often gets shortened (ex. Fort Walton instead of Fort Walton Beach), so it seems like the fewer words, the better. For instance, Beach Villages seems better than "Villages of" or "City of" and so on. Whatever it gets named, I hope the powers that be will consider what a shortened version of the name might be. Of course, we could always be named Beaches, FL and that says it all!