• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Patriot Games

Beach Lover
Aug 28, 2014
I hate I defended Chapman on another post the other day. I was listening to the ads on 106.3 and Chapman's came on. He said big out of town money was supporting his opponent who wants to take our beaches. These aren't the exact words because I was driving, but implied his competition was for something he wasn't. The facts are I have watched the forum videos and EVERY candidate everywhere is for customary use. Even non commissioners races. But every BCC candidates fliers make this an issue. It's not. Vendors, parking and access are the issues, customary use is inevitable. Everyone but the beach owners think it is, so enough already It's not an issue. Shame on you Bill, I thought you would stay on the high road after you had made it this far. On the plus side Meadows, Chapman and Imfelds radio commercials have been them speaking. Tony Andersons were narrated by one of the QVC narrators from TV. As usual somebody else's words coming out of somebody else's mouth on behalf of Tony. Geez Tony, can't you even speak for yourself in commercials, he is in way over his head. Bill Chapman....stay on the high road.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Not a Chapman fan...haven't been for many many years. In fact it goes back to the McMillan days when he like many others went along to draw a paycheck. I still see that in him...go along to get along.

Why do you keep looking for miracles in mud holes? (Tony A.)

fletch7245

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
I hate I defended Chapman on another post the other day. I was listening to the ads on 106.3 and Chapman's came on. He said big out of town money was supporting his opponent who wants to take our beaches. These aren't the exact words because I was driving, but implied his competition was for something he wasn't. The facts are I have watched the forum videos and EVERY candidate everywhere is for customary use. Even non commissioners races. But every BCC candidates fliers make this an issue. It's not. Vendors, parking and access are the issues, customary use is inevitable. Everyone but the beach owners think it is, so enough already It's not an issue. Shame on you Bill, I thought you would stay on the high road after you had made it this far. On the plus side Meadows, Chapman and Imfelds radio commercials have been them speaking. Tony Andersons were narrated by one of the QVC narrators from TV. As usual somebody else's words coming out of somebody else's mouth on behalf of Tony. Geez Tony, can't you even speak for yourself in commercials, he is in way over his head. Bill Chapman....stay on the high road.
Throw in drainage issues and you have nailed the issues and you are correct, it has nothing to do with Customary Use. That is just a smoke screen, but probably not very effective.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Throw in drainage issues and you have nailed the issues and you are correct, it has nothing to do with Customary Use. That is just a smoke screen, but probably not very effective.

From the day that lawsuit was filed against the County I've said this race has nothing to do with Customary Use and that issue would be decided in the courts.

This race is about honesty integrity and Gov. operated in the Sunshine. Throw in the infrastructure desperately needed in SoWal and roads that need to be paved in NoWal & SoWal and the enormous issues we continue to have with the LDC and Comp Plan, funds never collected and the waste in current Gov. and that's what this race is about. Vote em out!

Sherm

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2016
Walton County
I think yall have it wrong about Chapman. From the employees I talk to, he is the most respected because he doesn't go along to get along, he values employee input, and he stands for what he believes in. Can't say the same for his opponents because I don't really know them. Interesting how it looks from a distance.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Although this race maybe about infrastructure , customary use is the key. It is the 10 second talking point that everyone remembers and in my opinion will be the deciding factor in this election.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Although this race maybe about infrastructure , customary use is the key. It is the 10 second talking point that everyone remembers and in my opinion will be the deciding factor in this election.
And I don't believe every candidate when they say they are for customary use. Or they are conveniently for it and will fold quickly when pressed.

What I see as a casual observer:
- the old boy developer money is behind the SBA and Tony Anderson. Pretty clever to unite local business people and use them as your front.
- tons of shadow money has made SoWal a sewer.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
And I don't believe every candidate when they say they are for customary use. Or they are conveniently for it and will fold quickly when pressed.

What I see as a casual observer:
- the old boy developer money is behind the SBA and Tony Anderson. Pretty clever to unite local business people and use them as your front.
- tons of shadow money has made SoWal a sewer.
Look I won't/can't complain about people who support a candidate who represent their views, no matter how misguided others believe they are. I have considered what special interest are and have concluded, speciall interest is determined by whether you support it or not. I have heard many commercials talking about it and find that if you are pro gun and take money from the pro gun lobby it is not a special interest but if you are anti Obamacare, anyone who supports it is a special interest, as an example. So if you are pro customary or anti customary use, you are a special interest. Just my thoughts.

fletch7245

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012
Bob, unfortunately, I think you may be right. Anyone that has attended any of the Candidates Forums (and not many did) knows that all of the candidates are for Customary Use and both Chapman and Imfeld know that. It has been expressed in the Forums and in print. A few of us have suggested that the BCC needs to do a better job of guiding and regulating Code Enforcement and Beach Vendors activities. Unfortunately, the BCC has created a situation that will cost the taxpayers and beachfront homeowners a fortune in legal battles that will go on for a long time.

More troubling is the claim by Mr Imfeld in articles in The Herald and WZEP Radio ads that he brought Love's Travel Stops to Mossy Head. Mr. Imfeld has a bad memory. Here are the facts: on March 6, 2013, Art Miller and I, as members of a the Institute for Senior Professionals doing a study of the Walton County EDA at the request of Commissioner Ken Pridgen, interviewed Commissioner Imfeld. He constantly interrupted us by leaning over his desk with his hands clasped in prayer mode and said, "Bring me something for Mossy Head." I remember laughing as we left and asking Art, "Do you think he wants us to bring something to Mossy Head?" Art and I then drove to the site, over 350 acres of undeveloped land the County had owned for 11 years. We knew it was a perfect location for a truck stop. Art had done some research and learned there was no truck stop between Cottondale on I-10, exit 131, and the Alabama line. He asked me to contact the major truck stop companies to convince them to locate to Mossy Head. I called Love's Vice President of Real Estate and Development in Oklahoma. He was courteous and told me he appreciated the call, but was not interested. I convinced him to hear me out and gave him some demographics of the area. He finally said, "You've got my interest, send me some more information." I immediately sent contact information to Mr. Imfeld, but he wanted to wait until the EDA hired a new director. Art Miller then presented the idea to the EDA and asked Mac Work, then a DeFuniak Springs Councilman and a member of the EDA, to follow up with Love's. That contact that took place on March 15, 2013, more than a week after I sent Mr. Imfeld the contact information. The facts are Bill Imfeld did nothing to facilitate Love's moving to Mossy Head, yet he wants to take all the credit. The only County officials that have thanked me or Art Miller for bringing Love's to Mossy Head are Larry Jones our County Administrator and Comissioner Cindy Meadows.