• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jasper C.

Banned
Aug 14, 2016
SRB
First I think his position is clear and on this it's the same as Cindy's. The SBA, at least from what I read in the paper the SBA said they would reconsider now that there is a study and a charter. Bottom line is a commissioner cannot really impact the process.
As I understand it the SBA is a group of community small business leaders with the goal of making Walton County a great place for small businesses to thrive and flourish. Why all the negative talk every time I see their name? What have they done to those who speak so ill of them on this forum? Do they eat small children? Hahaha!!

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I didn't read anything about the SBA reconsidering their position. Where did you read that?

Aug 3, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
I didn't read anything about the SBA reconsidering their position. Where did you read that?
It was at the bottom of this article here:

Could South Walton become its own municipality?

Here is the relevant quote:

Walton County Small Business Association Vice President Bonnie McQuiston said in a statement the decision to oppose incorporation will be revisited.

“Now that a feasibility study has been developed, and a charter has been created, we will review this new information and present it to our membership,” she said.

McQuiston added that the Small Business Association welcomes changes that improve Walton County, but stands “steadfastly opposed to the over-commercialization of 30-A with large chains and shopping centers.”

Aug 3, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Seems like it's up to the membership to vote. So local small business owners make this decision or just the board?
I think all their decisions go past entire membership. It's good to have an advocacy group like this for the mom n pop businesses because if there wasn't this group, 30a would be turned into Grand Boulevard II. Which is the plan of some in the "activist class" in South Walton...get rid of the small businesses minus those in protected enclaves like Seaside and Watercolor and turn over the land to the shopping center developer company!

Sherm

Beach Comber
Jul 31, 2016
Walton County
I'm for incorporation, but people seem to be confused. There will be no more control over the 90% if a city is formed.. The 90% will still be county ad valorem. To provide new services, like planning, code enforcement, infrastructure changes, etc., there will be new city taxes. So the new city residents will have to pay their existing county taxes, plus and additional city taxes. The only control the new city council will have on taxed dollars will be new taxed dollars. Again, ask Destin how this new city thing is working out or them.

If you want control over the 90%, then we need to be a new county, and i don't think that dog will hunt. It seems as this isn't understood.

Beach lizard

Beach Crab
Nov 25, 2015
I'm for incorporation, but people seem to be confused. There will be no more control over the 90% if a city is formed.. The 90% will still be county ad valorem. To provide new services, like planning, code enforcement, infrastructure changes, etc., there will be new city taxes. So the new city residents will have to pay their existing county taxes, plus and additional city taxes. The only control the new city council will have on taxed dollars will be new taxed dollars. Again, ask Destin how this new city thing is working out or them.

If you want control over the 90%, then we need to be a new county, and i don't think that dog will hunt. It seems as this isn't understood.
EXACTLY!!!!! Ask Destin.