• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

sunny850

Beach Lover
Jul 16, 2012
In my opinion, The best grits dish is the shrimp and grits at vintij, in the strip mall across from silver sands.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Love the "City Grits" at Another Broken Egg.....

Iris

Beach Fanatic
Aug 10, 2009
Seacrest
OK, I'm on a high on Cafe Thirty-A. Best creamy grits with Grilled Quail.

HD Lady

Beach Fanatic
Mar 10, 2009
Santa Rosa Beach
I Love them too. I made them @ home and they were almost as good! Here is the recipe I found online:

Grits à Ya Ya
by Chef Jim Shirley

In 1998 I developed this Fish House favorite during the Mardi Gras season. Mardi Gras, properly celebrated, can sometimes last for days. Recognizing the toll this marathon celebration had on my friends, I created this fare that not only provided sustenance but tasted great, too. Since then we've whomped up hundreds of thousands of dishes of my favorite child. Enjoy it at home with this recipe.

Serves: 4

Ingredients:
Smoked Gouda Cheese Grits

• 1 quart chicken stock
  • 1 cup heavy cream
  • 1 pound Dixie Lily grits
  • 1/4 pound butter
  • 1 pound shredded smoked Gouda cheese
The Ya Ya

• 8 strips applewood-smoked bacon, diced
  • 1 tablespoon minced garlic
  • 1 tablespoon minced shallots
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • White wine
  • 1 pound peeled and deveined jumbo shrimp
  • 1 portobello mushroom cap, sliced
  • 1/4 cup diced scallions
  • 2 cups chopped fresh spinach
  • 2 cups heavy cream
  • 3 cups smoked Gouda cheese grits
Instructions:
First, make your grits. Run the chicken stock into a thick-bottomed saucepan and turn on high till it boils. Mix in the grits and stir like crazy. Reduce to a simmer and allow to cook for 40 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add cream if you need more liquid. Then tumble in the butter, drizzle in the rest of the cream and stir till it’s all in the family. Then shake in the shredded cheese and stir very well till it’s all nice and smooth.

While your grits cook, bring a large saucepan to medium heat. Add bacon and cook for about 3 minutes, then add garlic and shallots. Sauté and then add butter and a splash of white wine. When the butter is half melted, add the shrimp. When the downsides of the shrimp become white, flip them and add mushrooms, scallions and spinach. Sauté for 2 minutes. Remove the shrimp. Pour in heavy cream and let simmer while stirring. When reduced by one third, add salt, pepper and hot sauce. Return shrimp to the sauce and combine. Spoon the sauce and shrimp onto heaping mounds of cheese grits.