• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Highland Beach south of 30A past Stinkys. Anyone know if Walton is buying 3 beach front lots for parking at NEW constructed public beach access? Or just a HOT rumor. Thanks

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
The county commission has voted to acquire property for a new regional beach access in Dune Allen and other property on CR-283 in Grayton Beach that would provide for beachgoer parking.
The decisions took place at the Aug. 23 Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) meeting at the South Walton Annex.
The two properties had previously been discussed at the Aug. 9 BCC meeting.

Last edited by a moderator:

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Highland Beach south of 30A past Stinkys. Anyone know if Walton is buying 3 beach front lots for parking at NEW constructed public beach access? Or just a HOT rumor. Thanks
Dune Allen Beach, although there is apparently a lawsuit that may or may not throw a kink in the closing. BCC meeting Monday, September 12 at 3pm at the South Walton Annex. Agenda has an item on the closing for this and the 283 property.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
I wouldn't think you would be required to post a sign for the county purchasing the property. When they firm up the plans and begin the development process then signage would be required.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Why would they buy something if they had to let the public speak? What about law suits? I know if I was a Nextdoor neighbor of 5999 W. 30A I would already have a TEAM of lawyers working on stoppage.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Why? Why would you oppose the public owning more beachfront and why would you oppose improving the amenities along the beaches that allow more people to enjoy the world's most beautiful beaches? Why would you oppose additional parking and restrooms and why would you think that more public beaches would not be a big help to our economy and also those beachfront owners who want a little less traffic on their beach? Why would anyone oppose improved amenities along the beaches which will improve property values all along the coast? I would love for someone to explain why this is a negative for anyone. I know one thing, you cannot stop people from coming to the beach, they have been coming for decades and short of posting armed guards they will keep coming. Beachfront owners do not want visitors and locals to be behind their residences and apparently do not want the public to own beachfront to allow people to enjoy the beach who cannot afford beachfront. So what is your solution?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Just as we cant (usually) stop a private property owner from building something that someone else finds offensive,neither can we stop the county from doing what they want with their property. I just read article that our lifeguards interacted with about a million people on our beaches this summer. We HAVE to start finding ways/places to accomodate them because I dont see the TDC or private owners stopping the advertising around here. Most of the beachfront homes are "investment" properties and the owners couldnt keep up with the taxes and mortgage if they didnt rent them at exorbitant rates most of the year. Most of these houses are not being rented to a family of 4/5 but to multiple families of 4/5. That is the only way most of them can afford a week here.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
@Danny Glidewell: While I do not know exactly why there is opposition, here are some things I have heard:

1) Fear of making their property difficult to rent or sell due to influx of people to the beach in an area that has typically been relatively free of others beside the condo owners/renters. Extension of this is the concern that property values might go down.
2) Traffic congestion: There are times (generally at night, sometimes at lunch) that 30A gets backed up waiting for people to turn into Stinky's to valet park.
3) If people come to park and the parking is full, there is concern that overflow parking will extend to areas of 30-A and/or neighboring streets, some of which are in nearby neighborhoods.
4) Some people feel that this will become Stinky's parking paid for by taxpayers.

I know there is a lawsuit attempting to stop this purchase. I don't know what the complaints are in the lawsuit. The above mentioned items are things I have heard from people who live nearby, but are not actually in the adjacent condos.

It is worth noting that the parking that is drawn on the lots is a proposed plan that was a suggestion of how parking might be done by someone representing the seller, I believe. It may be that there will not be that many parking spots. If the County does NOT allow overflow to park on 30-A (except in specifically designated parking spots) and they don't allow beach parking in the neighborhoods nearby (and enforce the no parking), then that might allay some concerns. In terms of the financial aspects of rental, selling, or property values, those questions may not have an answer right now.

In terms of Stinky's parking, most of the excess demand occurs in the evening when may beachgoers have left the beach, but that is another unknown.