• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Or people could just lock their doors. These are mostly crimes of opportunity, not a skilled burglar.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
If the SO weren't so top heavy...that might well be an option!
I don't necessarily have the expertise to determine whether WCSO is top heavy. Can you provide details how other Sheriff Departments of similar size staff?

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't necessarily have the expertise to determine whether WCSO is top heavy. Can you provide details how other Sheriff Departments of similar size staff?

Bob, I realize that you are really only being confrontational to try and make a point but even by admission from past and present officers of the SO....they are TOP heavy.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Bob, I realize that you are really only being confrontational to try and make a point but even by admission from past and present officers of the SO....they are TOP heavy.
No Misty, not really trying to be confrontational. I think it is a legitimate question. I don't recall any past or present LEO's mentioning they were top heavy.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Interesting article from WZEP...

The difference in covered mileage is half of Walton County.

Geneva County Sheriff Tony Helms recently reported to citizens on the progress of his office.

With only 7 deputies and two office staffers to patrol a sprawling county of nearly 600 square miles, it is obvious he has a lot to do with a small budget and even fewer resources.

Helms enjoys broad public support and continues to be one of the more popular and effective Sheriff’s in Geneva County’s history in recent memory.

“Our office is tasked with answering calls , serving warrants and court papers, transporting prisoners, etc.. With over 600 miles of dirt road and close to the same in paved roads. My Deputies and Jail staff run 24 hours a day seven days per week. That is 336 hours every two weeks. If one of my staff is sick or on vacation someone has to cover that shift. I can’t just shut that one down and wait till they come back.”

Over the last year according to records maintained and provided by Geneva County E911 Deputies have received 11,605 dispatch calls in the past year. That is an average of 31 calls for service per day. Deputies arrested 680 persons for felonies and misdemeanors and made over 860 Offense Reports in a county of nearly 27,000.

Helms has also become creative in handling a limited budget. With a total budget for this year of $1,097,705.00, he purchased 1 used vehicle from Kansas and ordered two new vehicles. “The two new vehicles are from money that was given to the commission from the pistol permit fund. The used vehicle was bought from the permit fund,” said Helms. Helms also uses jail inmates to police trash from county roadways and the only cost to the taxpayers so far has been the twenty hour salary for a deputy. He also ordered the use of body cameras for deputies and didn’t have to ask the commission for the money as he paid for them from pistol permit funds.

“We are also forming a posse for search and rescue at no cost to the taxpayers and not from any commission funds,” Helms said. The Sheriff says crime stats staying steady but the biggest increase are increase in female offenders. The County Commission recently approved the construction of a new jail to replace an aging facility.

Interestingly enough, Sheriff Helms does all of this on a salary of just $57,290. He is the lowest paid county Sheriff in Alabama.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
I think the salaries of Florida politicians including the Sheriff are set by the state. If you are interested the association of police chiefs, Department of Justice and International Association of City Managers has a formula for staff.