• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I brought one of these amazing electric bug zappers that looks like a tennis racket to the beach with us in August. It works very well killing mosquitos, fruit flies, and other small bugs and will stun flies but not necessarily kill them so you have to make sure they're dead after they fall to the ground. It may work with black flies. It's fun to use in a creepy way. I have one at home and one at our place in Florida. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DVWV4ZI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

As someone else said, Cactus juice may work, too. I've seen it at Seacrest Sundries and a lot of it at the Ace on 98 going toward Pier Park.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Modica has them. Last Tuesday, our last full day, the flies hit that afternoon. They landed and bit. Sprayed with cactus juice. They landed but didn't bite. Went up to Bud & Alleys later for last night drinks. Kept walking. Flies and love bugs everywhere. It was gross. We had arrived the Tuesday the week before and that was the only bad time. Otherwise best water EVER. 7 days in a row!!! Ellen

Jrejre1

Beach Comber
Sep 17, 2016
Atlanta
Modica has them. Last Tuesday, our last full day, the flies hit that afternoon. They landed and bit. Sprayed with cactus juice. They landed but didn't bite. Went up to Bud & Alleys later for last night drinks. Kept walking. Flies and love bugs everywhere. It was gross. We had arrived the Tuesday the week before and that was the only bad time. Otherwise best water EVER. 7 days in a row!!! Ellen
Thank you. Ok so maybe they are gone by now :)

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Just got off the beach in Santa Rosa Beach and Dune Allen. Didn't see any flies but 100 yards north of the beach in the shade of a carport there were some little biters. They nibbled but were kind of lazy and not aggressive like they usually are.

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Meant to say that Modica has the cactus juice....they do not have flies. It reads wrong :) Too excited still after beating FSU. :)