• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Akarin

Beach Lover
Mar 5, 2012
Eastern Lake
akarin.com
So the issue is not with Neil, his company (which they do great work), the owner's right to commerce, or the Walton County Definition of VMU (well, partially). It more has to do with the track record of this particular business owner and the post-build site operation of the property he has set up on 30a and PCB. Today the literature paints an upscale picture of hanging local artist works on the wall.... but does that constitute an airbrush artist paintings of funnels and beer cans on t-shirts? I don't have pics readily available, but I know some of you do here for another forum... can someone post pictures of this owner's current properties that show how the really cool looking project that Neil is making (30A Trading Company – O'Connell & Associates Consulting Engineers, LLC) eventually gets perverted into what those properties look like today?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
Project has been recommended for approval by Walton planning commission.

Eastern Lake residents should get together and develop a neighborhood plan with WalCo if they want to prevent stuff like this and preserve the quiet neighborhood.

They could have at least gotten a reduction in size, parking, fencing, low impact lighting, restriciotn of hours, etc.

Tess Farmer

Beach Crab
Oct 11, 2016
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
The engineers for the Dalton Drive commercial project have worked with a local architect who lives in the Eastern Lake neighborhood close by to put forward an updated building design for the 30A Trading Company (see attached file).

Attachments

• Dalton - Alt 1.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 147

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
No offense, but those sketches do not give a fair representation of what this beach junk store will look like. It also doesn't convey the congestion of a commercial lot on an inside curve of 30-A across from a shopping center. It further doesn't convey that the parking will be off Dalton, not off 30-A, so the parking will be adjacent to residential lots on all sides. The meeting with the BCC is today at 4PM at the annex. This project is completely incompatible with a totally residential neighborhood, south of 30-A, and would set an extremely bad precedent for all residential neighborhoods south of 30-A.

Last edited:

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
No offense, but those sketches do not give a fair representation of what this beach junk store will look like. It also doesn't convey the congestion of a commercial lot on an inside curve of 30-A across from a shopping center. It further doesn't convey that the parking will be off Dalton, not off 30-A, so the parking will be adjacent to residential lots on all sides. The meeting with the BCC is today at 4PM at the annex. This i project is completely incompatible with a totally residential neighborhood, south of 30-A, and would set an extremely bad precedent for all residential neighborhoods south of 30-A.
While I don't think it fits in that spot I don't see anything wrong with the drawings. It shows the parking and Dalton Dr. What's missing is the signage - giant multicolored lettering in the windows, bright lights, beach toys and floats outside, sandwich boards, etc. But that isn't required by planning to show all that.

Are all the lots along 30A there commercial or residential?

If I were a neighbor I would try to get lighting reduced, limits on what can be placed on and around the building. This owner's other businesses are eysores. And we need to keep SoWal as dark at night as possible.

hippiechick

Beach Fanatic
Oct 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
You are right that there other stores are Big eyesores. Do you we really want that kind of atmosphere on 30A? When they say they will sell
upscale retail, yeah right, who believe that. I feel sorry for the homeowners in that area.