• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DuneAHH

Beach Fanatic
Absolutely amazing! Thank you for sharing with us. SWARA just announced more Reef deployment coming to this Grayton Beach State Park Reef location starting early Saturday morning, and going through part of Sunday.

Changed: Deployment commences @ dawn on FRIDAY Oct.2nd continuing into part of Saturday :)

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
South Walton Artificial Reef Association (SWARA) will be deploying 37 additional snorkel reefs and one family memorial tetrahedron this weekend, beginning on October 2. SWARA would love for people to join! The best place to view the deployment is the Grayton Beach State Park beach walkover.

150710grayton0013000.jpg

Read about the first artificial reef deployment at the Grayton Beach State Park location in July 2015 | SoWal.com feature story

150710grayton0053000.jpg

swara-gbsp.jpg

Last edited:

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
I will be down there next week and am excited to check this out in my kayak. Really surprised there has not been more comments from people who have been out there on this. Hoping for calm seas next week :)

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I will be down there next week and am excited to check this out in my kayak. Really surprised there has not been more comments from people who have been out there on this. Hoping for calm seas next week :)
The reef is excellent! I go often in my kayak. Weve had some rougher weather recently, so i havent been out as much. But it's really starting to attract the critters. Fishing there is great. And you'll see dolphins, sea turtles, all types of fish and birds. I saw people snorkeling and diving there this summer and the water is still plenty warm. Haven't done it myself, but it looks like fun.

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Thanks for the update JT. I look forward to checking it out. Where are you launching your kayak from when you go here? Trying to get my bearings from the picture and where i might park to get close.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Thanks for the update JT. I look forward to checking it out. Where are you launching your kayak from when you go here? Trying to get my bearings from the picture and where i might park to get close.
I launch from Grayton, either from the Garfield access or the Western Lake boat ramp at the end of Hotz. From there, the reef is maybe a 1/2 mile paddle toward the state park. In the 2016 aerial photos, you can actually see the reef! I attached a picture.Screen Shot 2016-09-23 at 10.54.26 AM.png

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
so cool it shows up in the images now, THANKS FOR THE INFO!!! I hope to see this in person today, perhaps! The water has been fantastic!