• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
We went to try a restaurant we've eaten dinner at once before, for lunch. We were surprised and frankly turned off, that they announced their special to us, before we even sat down, that it was fried mullet. Fried Mullet brings up connotations of the bottom feeder bait fish. Needless too say, we left and went elsewhere.

How many restaurants in this area actually have this as a special or regular item on their menu?

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
It is good here. A clean white fish and when fresh it is as good as any other white fish.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I love fried mullet better than quite a few other fish. In a lot of the south, fried catfish is just as popular. It is very comparable. In Mississippi, there are chain catfish restaurants, that probably should venture out into other states. They are that good. Conn006, you probably just don't like the sound of the word "mullet".

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
I love fried mullet better than quite a few other fish. In a lot of the south, fried catfish is just as popular. It is very comparable. In Mississippi, there are chain catfish restaurants, that probably should venture out into other states. They are that good. Conn006, you probably just don't like the sound of the word "mullet".

Well growing up my whole life by the Mississippi and knowing what a nasty, dirty, chemical ridden river it is, we have obstsained from catfish. Catfish from the Mississippi were caught using Mullet as bait!

I suppose some can get over that stigma and some can't.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Well growing up my whole life by the Mississippi and knowing what a nasty, dirty, chemical ridden river it is, we have obstsained from catfish. Catfish from the Mississippi were caught using Mullet as bait!

I suppose some can get over that stigma and some can't.
Catfish are grown and harvested in manmade ponds these days. If you think about the food chain of anything too much, it will mess up your mind. :)

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Catfish are grown and harvested in manmade ponds these days. If you think about the food chain of anything too much, it will mess up your mind. :)
You have got that right! If I knew half of what I ate and what was in it!!!!

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
From New Orleans and we NEVER ate mullet. I know the restaurant you're speaking of and I was surprised when I saw that on the menu. I believe it's really popular in Alabama.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Dang, I haven't eaten mullet in a long time, but I got a fine hankering for catfish. I will not under any circumstances eat raw oysters. How Bout you?

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Mullet: the fish is fine. The name, not so much.