• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MsFLiz

Beach Comber
Sep 27, 2007
Seagrove Beach
I actually tried the mullet at GSC Friday for lunch because everyone in town was talking about how fresh and delicious it was. And I have to say they were right, as we tried the mullet both fried and blackened and both were delicious! The hand cut homemade onion rings put it over the top!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
One of the more memorable seafood meals I ever had was mullet. We were in Perdido Key, and a guy who knew what he was doing caught a bunch on the beach with a cast net, built a fire in a small hibachi grill and cooked those fish within 30 minutes of them swimming in the gulf. Excellent fish!

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
You left a restaurant because you didn't like a fish variety on the menu?

Great example of how prejudices prevent you from enjoying life. Mullet is quite tasty when fresh and cooked properly. Lionfish is delicious too.

Conn006

Beach Lover
Feb 5, 2016
Prejudice against a fish? Now I've heard it all...lol.
The fact is I enjoy life immensely, take nothing for granted and beat a major illness. I asked a simple question about a particular fish. Just because I choose not to eat and spend my money on a fish you enjoy, allows you to judge me?

You take your Mullet too seriously, loosen up!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Prejudice against a fish? Now I've heard it all...lol.
The fact is I enjoy life immensely, take nothing for granted and beat a major illness. I asked a simple question about a particular fish. Just because I choose not to eat and spend my money on a fish you enjoy, allows you to judge me?

You take your Mullet too seriously, loosen up!

I was surprised to see that you left a restaurant because mullet was on the menu as you originally posted, because mullet was on the menu - or maybe you were just joking around? I think we're just letting you know that mullet is a special treat rarely served by local restaurants that is also very much appreciated by many - it's usually a special treat fried up in big batches after your fishermen friends catch a few net fulls and cook it on the spot (rare but special experience for me). But you certainly do not have to order it or eat it! If I'm at Grayton Seafood Co in Grayton Beach, I defintely do order it if they have it, which is OFTEN.

I appreciate your question and curiosity because many people may also wonder about this fish dish.

Last edited:

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Mullet is delicious. Definitely give it a shot any time you see it on the menu, especially at Grayton Seafood Company. Kenny serves the best fish he can find. Heck, not too long ago triggers were considered trash fish. Now they're a delicacy.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I've had it smoked. It's delicious.