• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Looks like SWFD (could be someone else too) is conducting some training at the house across from Stinky's on 30a. This is the house on the property that the county purchased at a premium.

Any reason this training and the free opportunity for training is not getting any media? Perhaps something is due out this week, but I've see a lot of activity there over a few days and I'm assuming its training.

Does anyone know if a controlled burn will follow? Taking the structure down to the ground?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The issue was discussed on this site a bit. They bought it, at a high price, to provide more beach access.

The Realtor is one in favor with them and in my opine, the reason he got the high price. Stinky's tried to get them to buy some other parcels that would have been very favorable to Stinky's as opposed to the taxpayers and that did not go though.

My post is about the training opportunity this provides our fire department and if that training is being reported as it seems like a good thing to tell people that just paid a boat load for a lot for that we are getting some free training for our men and women that protect us.

Perhaps each new purchase of land the BCC makes will include some training time for local first responders....

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
DeFuniak Herald Beach Breeze shared South Walton Fire District's photo.
44 mins ·

South Walton Fire District
1 hr ·
SWFD and SW TDC Partner for Fire Training Exercises

Recently the South Walton Tourist Development Council acquired a parcel with an existing structure that was slated for demolition. Prior to the demolition of the structure SWFD was given a rare opportunity to conduct important interior and exterior fire ground operations.

The purpose of these exercises (which occurred over the past 3-5 days) was to provide SWFD firefighters with training in various fire ground operations such as search and rescue, hose line advancement, air management practices, ladder practices, vertical ventilation and forcible entry.

This training gave SWFD firefighters an opportunity to physically demonstrate these practices on a real structure while providing much needed hands on experience.

Thank you to the TDC for affording us this opportunity and thank you to all our customers and citizens that support our desire to continuously improve our services.

“Tomorrow’s success is made by today’s training” .