• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MichelewithoneL

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2017
Littleton, Co
My family is relocating from Southern California to the Destin area. We are going to rent until we get to know the area and then buy in a year or so. I am coming in April 2017 to find a rental. From the online research I have done both schools seem to be well above average. Anyone have kids in either school or both? I am not sure where to move- Destin or the Seaside area, both schools are rated 10 and both have great reviews. I am hoping that it doesn't matter (they are both great?) because we have limited avail long term rentals- we are pet owners and very few take rentals take pets! Thanks In Advance!

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Destin is in Okaloosa County and Seaside in Walton County. I don't know Okaloosa schools. Bay is excellent - so is Butler. Bay is overcrowded and operating in overflow portables. A new elementary is under construction nearby set to open in Fall 2018. Walton County got caught with their pants down due to rapid growth.
New elementary school breaks ground in South Walton

150,000 square feet and ... The school will have 59 classrooms that can accommodate 1,012 students.

MichelewithoneL

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2017
Littleton, Co
Wow! That would be great especially since my daughter won't start Kindergarten until 2019. The Great Schools website rates Butler with a 7 and Destin and Bay both 10. I haven't been looking in Butler school district due to this...I might investigate this more. I am having a hard time finding rentals that accept pets in the Bay School District. I will reseach if teh boundary for the new school has been set. Thanks so much for this info!

30ARealtor

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2017
30A
Michele,
I'd love to help you locate your home. I also relocated to the area from Southern Orange County California. There are great places here that will remind you if southern CA.
Let me know if I can help

MichelewithoneL

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2017
Littleton, Co
@30A Realtor
Do you help find rentals or just homes for sale? We want to rent for the first year or so and figure out what area we want to buy in. My husband is originally from Alabama so he knows the area better than me ( but more on the tourist side). We need a 3+2 that allows pets- we would like to stay under $1,800 so we can save up for a house deposit. Also, I will be in town on April 2-5 looking for rentals and hoping to leave with a signed lease...

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Both areas are very good at elementary education. Secondary is where you start to see more differences.If you can get into Seaside Neighborhood School it's really excellent, but in terms of traditional public schools, I'd put Destin Middle over the Walton County secondary schools. For high schools, both areas have very well-regardedcharter schools that run through Northwest Florida State College, but for traditional public, Destin residents can either waiver into Niceville HS, which is one of the best traditional publics in the state (there's a high tech cluster there due to Defense Department R&D and that's where many of the rocket scientists' kids go) or stick with the Ft. Walton Beach HS they're zoned for, which also seems to be more with it than South Walton High School.

30ARealtor

Beach Comber
Feb 25, 2017
30A
@30A Realtor
Do you help find rentals or just homes for sale? We want to rent for the first year or so and figure out what area we want to buy in. My husband is originally from Alabama so he knows the area better than me ( but more on the tourist side). We need a 3+2 that allows pets- we would like to stay under $1,800 so we can save up for a house deposit. Also, I will be in town on April 2-5 looking for rentals and hoping to leave with a signed lease...

I can help you find a rental

MichelewithoneL

Beach Comber
Feb 1, 2017
Littleton, Co
Ok great, @30A Realtor
I would love some help. My email is michele.photo@gmail.com
We are open to anywhere from Panama City Beach to Gulf Breeze. When we buy our main concern will be the school zone but for now- as renters- we are just interested in being in a safe and good family area where we can get to know the Emerald Coast better! My daughter won't start Kindergarten until 2019.

deborsk

Beach Lover
Jul 10, 2005
Wow! That would be great especially since my daughter won't start Kindergarten until 2019. The Great Schools website rates Butler with a 7 and Destin and Bay both 10. I haven't been looking in Butler school district due to this...I might investigate this more. I am having a hard time finding rentals that accept pets in the Bay School District. I will reseach if teh boundary for the new school has been set. Thanks so much for this info!
My grandchildren attend Destin Elementary School. I must say, as a retired elementary teacher, that I have been very impressed with their staff and principal.