• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
Things are definitely getting out of hand in the Watercolor/Seaside area. I've been going for spring and fall breaks for years and this year was an eye opener. Gangs of 90-100 kids filling intersections and not letting cars pass. They literally told everybody that said anything to them to F$#@ off. Every night there was a constant stream of kids up and down the street yelling profanity from dark until 1 or 2 in the morning. Several kids passed asking if we wanted any blow while I was riding with my kids. St. Joe properties, 360 Blue, the Watercolor Homeowners Association and Watercolor security all seemed to just throw their hands up telling us that they were overwhelmed and they couldn't do anything about it. The Sheriff said they were run ragged trying to work all up and down 30A and that the group from Atlanta was causing the trouble and that they were increasingly bad each year. Thankfully, I guess we've missed them each year up until now. The Sheriff also said that Watercolor was private property and they didn't patrol it and would only come when invited. I told them I was officially inviting them.

Finally, after 4 nights of calling everybody I could think of and running the kids off myself so we could get some sleep and have some peace and quiet with our families, the Sheriff came onto the scene and took control. 2 deputies had kids lined up on the street and were handing out citations and arresting kids. Things quieted down the last night or so after that. I don't fault anybody for what the Atlanta group did (other than the kids and parents from Atlanta) but I am very disappointed in the response from St Joe, 360 Blue and the Homeowners Association. They basically said they couldn't do anything and to call security. Security was a couple of guys in a black truck that were overwhelmed and scared of the mob and had no real authority anyway. The Sheriff said Watercolor won't pay them to patrol that area full-time like Seaside does so they have to be asked to come on property. Seaside had an 8pm curfew and the Sheriff had a full-time presence there and they rolled up the kids at 8 so the kids all moved into the wild west of Watercolor. The deputies told us that the kids had overturned a lifeguard's 4 wheeler into the water while he was making a rescue and that another gang of kids had grabbed all 4 legs of the lifeguard stations and shaken it to try to throw the lifeguard out. That kind of behavior is unbelievable. These were not 35 year old, hardened felons....they were teens (mostly around 13-15 according to the sheriff). Watercolor gets premium prices for their properties because of the atmosphere...it's not PCB and that is a good thing. If it is just PCB west now and everybody that has any control has resigned themselves to that, then I think this was my last trip to Watercolor or anywhere in the panhandle.

My advice is for Watercolor to see the writing on the wall and start paying the Sheriff to patrol and for the property owners, Homeowners Association and rental companies to start cracking down on this behavior with a zero tolerance. Kids should have to register with a wrist band that has their name, age, address where they are staying and their parent's phone number. If the Sheriff talks to them, all the information they need would be easily accessible and easy to keep in a database so they would know who the repeat troublemakers were, who was responsible for them and how to contact the parents. The zero tolerance amendment to the agreements should be communicated to every renter and every renter should have to acknowledge that violating the agreement would allow the rental company to end their rental immediately and the renter would forfeit the remaining rental. Rental companies would not be at risk, homeowners would have their property and the atmosphere they purchased preserved and renters would have the peaceful family vacations they paid for.

I'm more sad than angry. I truly loved taking my family to Watercolor. It's a unique atmosphere that could be (and was in previous years) incredible. Do any of you know of any place in the southeast that is like Watercolor used to be?

Last edited:

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
Note to rental property owners: Everybody's situation is different, but if you care about your community, your property, and can afford to not rent during ATL week, don't rent...

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Things are definitely getting out of hand in the Watercolor/Seaside area. I've been going for spring and fall breaks for years and this year was an eye opener. Gangs of 90-100 kids filling intersections and not letting cars pass. They literally told everybody that said anything to them to F$#@ off. Every night there was a constant stream of kids up and down the street yelling profanity from dark until 1 or 2 in the morning. Several kids passed asking if we wanted any blow while I was riding with my kids. St. Joe properties, 360 Blue, the Watercolor Homeowners Association and Watercolor security all seemed to just throw their hands up telling us that they were overwhelmed and they couldn't do anything about it. The Sheriff said they were run ragged trying to work all up and down 30A and that the group from Atlanta was causing the trouble and that they were increasingly bad each year. Thankfully, I guess we've missed them each year up until now. The Sheriff also said that Watercolor was private property and they didn't patrol it and would only come when invited. I told them I was officially inviting them.

Finally, after 4 nights of calling everybody I could think of and running the kids off myself so we could get some sleep and have some peace and quiet with our families, the Sheriff came onto the scene and took control. 2 deputies had kids lined up on the street and were handing out citations and arresting kids. Things quieted down the last night or so after that. I don't fault anybody for what the Atlanta group did (other than the kids and parents from Atlanta) but I am very disappointed in the response from St Joe, 360 Blue and the Homeowners Association. They basically said they couldn't do anything and to call security. Security was a couple of guys in a black truck that were overwhelmed and scared of the mob and had no real authority anyway. The Sheriff said Watercolor won't pay them to patrol that area full-time like Seaside does so they have to be asked to come on property. Seaside had an 8pm curfew and the Sheriff had a full-time presence there and they rolled up the kids at 8 so the kids all moved into the wild west of Watercolor. The deputies told us that the kids had overturned a lifeguard's 4 wheeler into the water while he was making a rescue and that another gang of kids had grabbed all 4 legs of the lifeguard stations and shaken it to try to throw the lifeguard out. That kind of behavior is unbelievable. These were not 35 year old, hardened felons....they were teens (mostly around 13-15 according to the sheriff). Watercolor gets premium prices for their properties because of the atmosphere...it's not PCB and that is a good thing. If it is just PCB west now and everybody that has any control has resigned themselves to that, then I think this was my last trip to Watercolor or anywhere in the panhandle.

My advice is for Watercolor to see the writing on the wall and start paying the Sheriff to patrol and for the property owners, Homeowners Association and rental companies to start cracking down on this behavior with a zero tolerance. Kids should have to register with a wrist band that has their name, age, address where they are staying and their parent's phone number. If the Sheriff talks to them, all the information they need would be easily accessible and easy to keep in a database so they would know who the repeat troublemakers were, who was responsible for them and how to contact the parents. The zero tolerance amendment to the agreements should be communicated to every renter and every renter should have to acknowledge that violating the agreement would allow the rental company to end their rental immediately and the renter would forfeit the remaining rental. Rental companies would not be at risk, homeowners would have their property and the atmosphere they purchased preserved and renters would have the peaceful family vacations they paid for.

I'm more sad than angry. I truly loved taking my family to Watercolor. It's a unique atmosphere that could be (and was in previous years) incredible. Do any of you know of any place in the southeast that is like Watercolor used to be?

"The Sheriff also said that Watercolor was private property and they didn't patrol it and would only come when invited. I told them I was officially inviting them."

So our local law enforcement says they don't patrol private property? :dunno::doh::dunno::doh: Wow.
First the Failed SOP and now this? Sounds like all citizens need to now send out an Invitation for WCSO to come visit.

How can any department be PROACTIVE in combating crime when it won't patrol? Sounds like the only way someone living on a private (non-county) road gets service is to call. That's usually after the fact and the REACTION is usually too late and bad guys are gone.

I agree that these resort communities should hire deputies, but they should be EXTRA Duty Deputies that supplement the daily Patrol Activity of the on-duty staff.

Proactive Policing is what's needed, not excuses as to why one can't do this or do that.

Concerned Parent

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2017
KY
To be clear, the Sheriff's department was the one entity that was actively working to fix the problem. They were professional, open, honest about the issue and responded anytime we called. The limitation was that the Watercolor development was private property and therefore the deputies were limited in when they could become involved. It seemed they certainly could not be proactive.

There needs to be a brainstorming meeting among all the entities involved to come up with a plan to fix this situation. This is too nice an area to just throw up your hands and allow this to happen to your community.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
"The limitation was that the Watercolor development was private property and therefore the deputies were limited in when they could become involved."

Not arguing that all developments need to be proactive. Seems like a convenient way for WCSO to pass the buck to Watercolor and blame them.

Don't owners that own homes and property in Watercolor pay taxes?

This sounds a bit like another excuse by the sheriff as he does not want to upset tourists. Same with the Wedding Houses, Private Beach SOP non-enforcement, parking tickets, etc.

90 - 100 kids blocking intersections is a traffic safety issue and these kids and their aggressive attitudes and foul mouths is Disturbing the Peace. Both enforceable by Local Law Enforcement without a special invite.

Thanks for bringing this to peoples attention Concerned Parent. It's good to see (while also unfortunate) that good visitors to our area have been effected by this and want it to be know.

For that, I thank you.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Sounds like my neighborhood pool here in Cobb County in the summer. It's definitely the parents fault. I've lived in this neighborhood for 21 years and have never experienced what has happened to our community pool in the last few years. The late 30's early 40's moms just sit around and sunbathe and yap as their out of control middle school children run around like maniacs. They've brought golf carts into the community and let the kids drive them around. Totally out of control!!!!

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Watercolor needs to pay for additional security like Seaside. All the other taxpayers pay extra when they do things that cause crowds and need more services than normal. That is true even for charity or non-profit events and memorial services.

The rental companies and owners need to crack down on behavior and quit renting to these criminals. Have the balls to throw them out if they aren't behaving, you've already got their money.

The TDC needs to do less advertising and more managing of tourists and their experience. Many people who were here this past week won't be coming back, and are telling their friends about it. Just like many long time visitors no longer come here or to certain areas of 30A because of the traffic, crowds, and overbuilding.

seabythegrove

Beach Fanatic
Nov 16, 2012
The TDC needs to do less advertising and more managing of tourists and their experience. Many people who were here this past week won't be coming back, and are telling their friends about it. Just like many long time visitors no longer come here or to certain areas of 30A because of the traffic, crowds, and overbuilding.

THIS IS THE SOLUTION - WE DO NOT NEED TO TEACH PARENTS AND CHILDREN TO BE RESPECTFUL OF OTHERS - NOT OUR JOB. TRANSIENTS HAVE NO VESTED INTEREST IN OUR COMMUNITY (NO KIDDING!).
THE ONLY ADVERTISING THE TDC NEEDS TO DO IN ATL IS ENCOURAGING PEOPLE NOT TO COME. ISN'T HILTON HEAD CLOSER FOR THEM ANYWAY?

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Not sure what you expect rental companies to do once the problem is happening. They could work toward a solution but to blame them for not being able to put out a raging fire without even a garden hose is placing blame in the wrong place.

Unfortunately what happens is more money is thrown at law enforcement which escalates the issue. Been happening for centuries.

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek

^^^^^ I agree with this ^^^^^^ The TDC has done their job. They have throngs of people coming to SoWal now. I think TDC now needs to be more selective as to where they advertise. If they don`t change something soon, nobody will want to come here. Begin with leaving Atlanta OFF THE LIST.