• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
Amy, the kids I saw weren't gang members. They were entitled brats whose parents took them to the beach and left them unsupervised to do as they pleased.

You hit the nail on the head. All these high end developments have a lot of these entitled brats. Unfortunately, I see it getting worse before it gets better. We now live in a snow flake environment.

Amy S.

Beach Comber
Apr 13, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Amy, the kids I saw weren't gang members. They were entitled brats whose parents took them to the beach and left them unsupervised to do as they pleased. The kids then apparently used social media to find out where everyone else was so they could get together in their mobs. This is definitely part of a larger parenting problem going on in the US, but you guys should not be expected to have to deal with parenting issues.

When I take my kids on vacation, my kids are on vacation and I am still a parent. I saw a lot of parents that had totally checked out of parenting and that's just not the way it's supposed to work. One lazy couple at the Watercolor Beachclub pool was standing by the pool with drinks in their hands pointing at their obviously distressed and near drowning young daughter and telling her to just calm down because she was ok. Meanwhile, she was in water over her head, bobbing up and down, choking and gasping with panic on her face and they couldn't be bothered to set their drinks down and help her. Another young man reached her before I did and the parents were entirely unaffected by the whole incident. The whole thing just makes me sad.

I agree that's pretty sad. I slightly mis spoke. What I meant was that unless its curtailed, (since we know that PCB is advertised heavily in ATL) 30A/SoWal won't be far behind. Technically, according to new gang laws I THINK, but am not 100% sure, that the actions displayed by these kids constitutes a gang. Maybe those laws aren't passed in Walton Co yet. I'm warning you all, look to PCB, and that's what it will be soon if something is not done... kiss your high dollar wealthy residents and tourists goodbye!

Amy S.

Beach Comber
Apr 13, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I rarely chime in but like everyone who has posted comments I think the common denominator here are the HS kids and most specifically Georgia. I have lived in Seagrove for 11 years and have witnessed 11 spring breaks. here are my 11 years worth (2 cents). In the past several years the WCSO and the police in general have done an excellent job or as best as I could expect. the Police force are present and in my opinion react quickly and enforce Zero tolerance. I can't comment on the Seaside vs Watercolor police presence only from what I see and yes clearly Seaside does an excellent job of trying to keep the mayhem down by a bigger police presence. For the most part I find little to no major issues with the college students, I am sure there are some issues but compared to the HS kids minimal. People have a right to rent their properties, and people have a right to rent a property, we may not like it but name a community that bans rentals? it is reality so we need to try and deal with it like it or not and focus on the "prime" weeks we experience this mayhem. in mid summer every school district has their entire years schedule published so we have plenty of "warning". I think it is unanimous that Georgia HS spring break is hands down the WORST! so rental property owners have the ability to block off a week or 2 and may I suggest these couple of weeks be taken under consideration. I know lost revenue but perhaps adding a couple hundred dollars a week in the prime season covers any potential loss of these spring break weeks? Not only for the rental property owners but also the rental companies who would share in that loss of revenue. I can't help but think the sheer mental relief on both parties is worth it. Don't change the law or create more layers of rules and regulations simply use supply and demand. Fewer properties available equals fewer people those couple weeks. I also have to think properties take the biggest abuse during this period. Another observation, have you ever noticed during the summer months when families and HS kids are here these "issues" are not even close to being as bad? Well Spring break is 1 week and EVERYONE comes the same time! Have you every counted the number of stolen bikes ditched in the spring vs summer? We are in an affluent area, one would think people who can afford these rental rates would not act this way? Well think of the spring break week and what happens, one maybe 2 adults rent a house with a dozen kids, all those kids are not children of the 2 adults so their parents who do not come down subsidize the 1 or 2 unfortunate adults who are chaperoning. Now it becomes MORE affordable for more people. Split the pie more ways.
In the summer one or maybe 2 families split the rental fee and it is THEIR children and it is the parents vacation on their designated vacation week, not the same week as the entire Georgia High Schools.
Every Spring at the same time all of our friends say the same thing over and over, The Georgia HS spring break is the WORST, no debating it. Are we profiling,,, YEP! Do I care NOPE! If they cannot come to our beautiful place we call home they will find somewhere else I guarantee you that. It is unfortunate for those parents and kids who are respectful that they become lumped in with those who choose to act like animals.
So to recap let's focus on basically 2 weeks of the spring break which festers most of the issues, if we solve these 2 weeks then my guess is future threads like this will be minimized.
thanks for letting me rant!

I say screw the snowflakes, and take your beaches back!! I don't think any wealthy/famous will come down here to do anything once this gets out... Profile away. We all know the issue is ATL. Send ATL a strong message of where to shove it up at. We don't want your riff raff here. Tell the brats and their crew, go elsewhere! You want to act like trash? Well then be treated like it. Even if you have some money, and you act trashy, no one wants to be around that.

beachgurl

Beach Crab
Feb 10, 2011
I, for one, am ecstatic that I did not rent my Watercolor House last week. I made the decision last year not to rent out my house this Spring Break. I went online, looked up the public school spring breaks in Atlanta and a couple of other major markets and blocked it accordingly. As several of you noted, the destruction and stolen bikes is not worth 1 week of rental income. I love my house and this community and will not be renting for 2 weeks of Spring Breaks. Ever. And for 360 Blue and all the companies and owners that "discount rental rates".... those renters looking for discounts are, hands down, the ones that do the most damage.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
I, for one, am ecstatic that I did not rent my Watercolor House last week. I made the decision last year not to rent out my house this Spring Break. I went online, looked up the public school spring breaks in Atlanta and a couple of other major markets and blocked it accordingly. As several of you noted, the destruction and stolen bikes is not worth 1 week of rental income. I love my house and this community and will not be renting for 2 weeks of Spring Breaks. Ever. And for 360 Blue and all the companies and owners that "discount rental rates".... those renters looking for discounts are, hands down, the ones that do the most damage.
Good for you! Our neighbors had 3k worth of damage done in one week last year during spring break. They decided not to rent this year and it's been a blessing!

gumby

Beach Lover
Apr 28, 2010
Up the Creek
^^^^ That's lovely ^^^^^ We are to the point that we don`t visit to many places in Destin anymore. Sold the boat because of all the drunks, rental pontoons with clueless drivers and just plain stupidity on the water. Boat launches are a whole different story around 5 to 6pm when they all come back from Crab Island.
Our area has drawn in some unsavory characters unfortunately.

erceill

Beach Comber
Jan 9, 2010
Ethel the Doberman is available to send those yutes a running. Not to worry she will catch and return, maynot release right off but will she sees another one run. She doesn't drink, smoke or take breaks. Works from dusk to dawn for a treat. She gets a little cranky in the early mornings before treat time. I have lived here all my life, that are not going to quit coming. More every year. You should be more concerned with the parasites little junior is dumping in the pools for everybody. You can't even tell these jerks not to put the kid in the pool that hasn't been potty trained. Just stupid. Don't get me started.

Attachments

• 20170408_201348.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 125

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Naked teen runs through Seaside, gets Tased

"He told me he was high on acid."

Those driving or jogging down Walton County Road 30A just after 8 a.m. Sunday might have encountered a disturbing sight.

Taylor Patterson was driving through Seagrove Beach about 8:15 a.m. when he said he saw what he described as a naked man “frolicking” in a vacant lot near the intersection of 30A and County Road 395.

The individual came running up to Patterson’s truck and told him he was from Birmingham, Alabama, pointed to a group of houses and invited Patterson to party with him.

“He told me he was high on acid,” Patterson said. “It was obvious he was high on something, and it wasn’t alcohol.”

The man then ran down the bike path and approached men and women on his way toward Seaside, Patterson said.

“Law enforcement stopped him right before he reached Seaside. I think they Tased him. It was disturbing. He was definitely on something,” Patterson added.

According to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office call history report, several calls came in about the “naked and combative” man.

Callers reported that he was “extremely out of it,” that he was punching cars and threatening to kill people, according to the report. At one point, he was reportedly running down the beach as well. One woman also reported he told her to “go ahead and take a picture, I don’t care.”

Six deputies responded and the subject was detained at 9:18 a.m. A Taser was used after the subject ran south and jumped a fence.

Although the callers described the man as appearing to be 19 to 21 years old, he was actually a 16-year-old boy, according to Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Corey Dobridnia.

Please advertise more and more TDC. We love the new breed of tourists you attract! :sarc:

Last edited by a moderator: