• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
I further my comments on District 5 being ineffective and the need for incorporation. Here we elected someone who lived his entire life in Defuniak Springs, only to recently transplant. Now he's the one representing beachfront/30A owners interests? He's never even lived in the environment to have any context of the issues. The voters should have read between the lines when he said he wanted to bring the county together. 30A and Defuniak Springs have very little in common so bringing it all together certainly hurts 30A and beachfront's unique concerns which are little concern to the rest of the county. If I'm running a farm in Defuniak Springs why would I care about a beachfront issue related to tourists? How many tourists come to Defuniak Springs and use the land? It would be like having a commissioner from an agriculture district manage the Las Vegas strip. I can assure you they don't "understand it".

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
....... I have no doubt the article with the little city of Dayton Beach Shores litigating against Volusia County is a foreshadow of what will happen with the incorporation of the city of SoWal under the leadership of those like Dave Rauschkolb, David Pleat, Jacquee Markel, and others like them who will likely want to spend our tax dollars on their agenda like customary-take and costly Government real estate "un-investment" with tax payers money. Only Pleat and other attorneys will benefit then. That’s why I won’t vote for incorporation. At least Walton BCC is the devil I know and I won’t have to fight both the City and County tax and spend agendas on things outside of safety, security, sanitation that governments should focus tax dollars on.........
Isn't David Pleat the attorney representing Rosemary Beach in their lawsuit against the county regarding customary use? I'm not disagreeing with your observations (actually mostly agree), but if completely true, wouldn't David Pleat then be playing both sides of the controversy? IOW, he's making money from Rosemary against Customary Use, right?

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
........ Prove me wrong - show me where that's not been the case. That's why I will vote for incorporation.
Dave R (and associated thought process) is the most solid reason that citizens who directly or indirectly own beach front property would not support incorporation. The more gulf front owners I speak with, the more I believe this to be true.

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
Dave R (and associated thought process) is the most solid reason that citizens who directly or indirectly own beach front property would not support incorporation. The more gulf front owners I speak with, the more I believe this to be true.

Sorry not familiar with what David Pleat is proposing - only aware he is representing Rosemary Beach w/customary use. Can you provide the detail? I guess I'm not tieing incorporating with customary beach use. If that's the platform ABSW is running on as a reason to incorporate, so they can further push customary use --- I can't see how they would be successful. I'm surprised that's the case. I would still support incorporation but I would not support electing those who support customary use in any way for all the reasons discussed earlier. You have a point - why would we buy ourselves a problem by voting in a platform that goes entirely against the unique concerns of beachfront property owners? We wouldn't.

Last edited:

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry not familiar with what David Pleat is proposing - only aware he is representing Rosemary Beach w/customary use. Can you provide the detail? I guess I'm not tieing incorporating with customary beach use. If that's the platform ABSW is running on as a reason to incorporate, so they can further push customary use --- I can't see how they would be successful. I'm surprised that's the case. I would still support incorporation but I would not support electing those who support customary use in any way for all the reasons discussed earlier. You have a point - why would we buy ourselves a problem by voting in a platform that goes entirely against the unique concerns of beachfront property owners? We wouldn't.
Pleat is an attorney; enough said. David Pleat is a director on “Better” SoWal. His photo is between Dave Rauschkolb and Jacquee Markel; two of the leading customary-take advocates.
The Team – A Better South Walton
Pleat represents Rose Mary Beach, so far unsuccessfully.
But talking about ironic and attorneys; Walton’s lead customary-take attorney (tax payer paid $425/hr) Theriaque successfully represented private property owners from deer hunters with dogs from [customarily?] hunting on their private property adjacent to the Blackwater state park last year.
State Sued Over Deer Dog Hunts In The Blackwater Forest : NorthEscambia.com

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
For the record, David Pleat and David Bailey, Rosemary Town Manager are both on our ABSW board and are against Customary Use. ABSW as an organization takes no position on local issues. The ABSW Board is made up of a politically diverse group solely focused on working towards better, more focused, comprehensive LOCAL governance for South Walton. Locals elected by locals.
I don't know the rules on voting about incorporation. Dave R. will non-resident SoWal property owners be able to vote to incorporate or not? If not would/will you as a ABSW board member support non-resident owners (who will pay the bulk of the SoWal property taxes) being able to vote? Even if it means changing the rules if needed?

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

For the record, David Pleat and David Bailey, Rosemary Town Manager are both on our ABSW board and are against Customary Use. ABSW as an organization takes no position on local issues. The ABSW Board is made up of a politically diverse group solely focused on working towards better, more focused, comprehensive LOCAL governance for South Walton. Locals elected by locals.

Customary use is an issue I personally believe in and has no connection with ABSW.

And, as a non-elected official, businessperson and taxpayer I am at the mercy of our County Commissioners as much as you all are. If you have a problem with Customary Use take it up with the BCC; they are responsible for ordering and voting to create the Ordinance. I merely applauded their actions along with many, many Walton County residents.

Dave Rauschkolb

Beach Fanatic
Jul 13, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach

There are not enough voting, full time Gulf front owners to make any difference whatsoever on the Incorporation issue.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
There are not enough voting, full time Gulf front owners to make any difference whatsoever on the Incorporation issue.
I don't know the rules on voting about incorporation. Dave R. will non-resident SoWal property owners be able to vote to incorporate or not? If not would/will you as a ABSW board member support non-resident owners (who will pay the bulk of the SoWal property taxes) being able to vote? Even if it means changing the rules if needed?
Dave R. you commented about other posts but not this one?