• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
I set up bonfires on the beach. I am all about the rules. The county has made many changes throughout the years. They make new changes each year actually. Its becoming more and more strict. An illegal bonfire would first be noticeable by the location. It cannot be on private property if its not allowed by the homeowner. Another way to spot an illegal bonfire would be to see where it is located within a public beach access. The county set a rule in place where private bonfires and bonfires set up by a vendor are divided into different spaces. Another way to spot an illegal bonfire would be if it is not in a controlled bonfire pit. If it is directly in the sand please call the police or code enforcement. I dont like to see ignorant people trashing my beaches. My company The Rental Shop actually goes by the rules. Also the county has hired more and more code enforcement staff each year. I am very happy about this. Most vendors are very good about abiding by the rules. There are a few who have not followed the rules at some times. But that is when code enforcement shows up and gives them a ticket. The good thing is that if they get enough tickets they are done. The good thing about events or weddings on the beach is that it brings in tourism which this county needs to survive financially. Unfortunately this area needs the tourism to pay most residents monthly bills. I know the idea of nothing on the beach sounds great, (I get it) however if we didnt offer these things we wouldnt have as many people coming here. Weddings bring in big business. The wedding industry is booming on the beaches of South Walton. As long as there is rules and guidelines I think everything will be fine. For example SWFD doesnt issue bonfire permits to certain accesses once they have met the limit. They deny requests for permits based on the amount of fires or people that will be present at an access. They also dont allow vendors to buy a bonfire permit unless it is within 2 weeks of the bonfire date. This is also a great idea. Hope this info helps. There are vendors who care and do things the right way.

Kudos to you for attempting to follow the rules.

But know that not everyone who lives here needs tourism. Believe it or not - not everyone is looking to suck the blood of tourism. Although the opportunists are multiplying like mosquitoes.

Do you start bonfires to attract tourists or do tourists ask you to start bonfires because it is a service that has become common due to the proliferation of beach services (other than permit fees, how much do you pay to make money on our beaches)?

We have 100 times more bonfires than just a few years ago. We have a lot more tourists but not 100 times more tourists

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I love a good beach bonfire, but am tired of finding bonfire remnants on the beach. Yet one more example of buttheads ruining a good thing for the rest of us.

I guarantee that fewer bonfires on the beach will not cause tourism to vanish. I also guarantee that limiting vendors to the simple beach wedding set-ups that used to be the norm will not destroy tourism either.