• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
There are always lot of critters around, but rats when there isn't a restaurant or dumpster around is a bit odd.

We do have beach mice, they're a protected species and quite cute looking.

Tyrone Magnanimous

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2017
Inlet Beach
Ma'am, just so I understand, you saw rats outside of a building?
I can assure you that every city and town in Florida has plenty of rats, south Florida even more than up here.
I'm not sure what you hoped the rental company could do about outdoor rats anymore than if you saw squirrels.

sunspotbaby

SoWal Insider
Mar 31, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
Brace yourself, there are bears here too. And coyotes. Rats are common in every corner of the country and the world. Just because you're at a resort, doesn't mean the wildlife just goes away.

erceill

Beach Comber
Jan 9, 2010
Beach mice are federally protected and it is against the law to kill one much less disturb his home. Everyone thinks a bear is cute but want a colony of feral cats to kill a federally protected rat. They claim to keep snakes down. I don't think a feral cat is going to kill a 5' timber rattler or a 5' moscussin. They only kill the good snakes. What you want a colony of is possums. They for the most part a immune to snake bites (except corals) and will eat them. They are so cute are they and are not pc like cat. Bring back the Ethel the Doberman at seacrest beach. No rat, cat or snake problems.