• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Some guy is petitioning Walton County to issue more beach driving permits for the off season for people who didn't get on ein the lottery. He says we should maximize use of the beach when nobody is here.

Seems to me there are always people here now. There are about 800 grandfathered permits and 150 lottery permits every year. Probably need fewer permits, not more.

BeachMac

Beach Lover
Oct 3, 2008
My spouse received an email related to this, it was a survey. Not sure how they got the email address.

I've always thought instead of 150 people in the lottery getting use for the year (according to the email there were over 500 applicants), why not draw four groups of 150, each group getting a respective week of every month. That way everyone who applies receives some access to the beach. So in this example, Group A of 150 applicants are assigned the first week of every month, Group B of a different 150 applicants = the second week of every month, Group C = third week, Group D = Four week of every month. Obviously each month is different, so this may work better by days (1st - 7th, 8th-14th, etc.)... but the point is to make the access window smaller, in order to increase the people who get to use this benefit. Have four different colors of permits for the respective weeks to make Code Enforcement easier. I know many people who would rather have one week a month, rather than no opportunity at all during the year to be able to tailgate on the beach.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Lets just turn the place into Dayton Beach. It's swaying that way regardless.

We don't even issue parking citations to violations on 30A, so who gives a :poop: who drives on the beach?

:sarc:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Well
Wish they could open it up to any and all full time residents of South Walton. And let that be it.
I certainly disagree with that! I live here and pay taxes, why should just south Walton residents be the only ones to have the opportunity/ privilege?

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Well

I certainly disagree with that! I live here and pay taxes, why should just south Walton residents be the only ones to have the opportunity/ privilege?

Bob, I'd hate to leave you out of anything and agree, you and everyone in the County (that pays taxes) should drive up and down the beach! Like I said, we are going to become Dayton Beach in more ways than one...

:sarc:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Personally, I like the current way it is being done and do not think it should change. I am not a huge fan of driving on the beach and do like the limits that are in place.