• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida

From the article..."Karen McGee said she was not expecting protesters"

Seriously? You come here from Dallas Texas, know relatively little about what that monument and flag represent for the people of Walton County (particularly North of the Bay) whose ancestors died defending the Union not slavery and you expect people will sit on their haunches so the few of you who are looking to be offended won't be?

I'm not going to get into this ridiculousness again and create another 81 page thread but I will say...some of you have way to much time on your hands and are just looking to be offended about something. When you're actively looking, chances are you'll find something! :popcorn: :poop::poop::poop:

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I'm going to share a post from FB that pretty much sums it all up in a nutshell!!

To: letters@staugustine.com
Subject: Civil War Monument

Editor:

I would like to remind everyone that no American living today has ever been an American slave or owned one. The Civil War ended in 1865 and the south lost. I don’t know anyone who believes slavery is a good thing, and I am glad it no longer exists in my country. I am also a descendant of honorable men who fought for the Confederacy, and some of the names on the Confederate Monument in the Plaza were my relatives. They gave their lives not for the cause of slavery, but because they loved and wanted to protect their families and homeland; they are heroes of the south. The history of the Civil War (AKA the War of Northern Aggression) has been distorted by those who falsely claim it was all about slavery. It was not. In so doing they are driving a wedge between two races of Americans who should be living in harmony this many generations since that horrible war of brother against brother. The NAACP is not helping to improve relations by insisting that all traces of our southern heritage and Confederate heroes be banished in disgrace.

In a letter to Horace Greeley Abraham Lincoln admitted that his biggest objective in going to war was to save the Union, not to save or destroy slavery. The southern states seceded because of the usurpation of state’s rights by the federal government including high protective tariffs imposed on the agrarian south by the industrial north.

Most Confederate soldiers owned no slaves. Most were small farmers, small business owners, and sharecroppers. Their homeland and families were endangered by the invasion of Union forces, and they did what patriots always have done when home and family was threatened – they joined forces to protect what was most dear to them and that was most certainly not to preserve slavery or to defend rich plantation owners.

The removal of the Confederate Monument and other memorials of our southern ancestors and heroes will not change history nor prevent us from honoring them. We will never forget their patriotism, bravery and sacrifices. We will preserve their memory and pass it down to our descendants along with the true historical records. We will do this in our family histories and genealogies and in our membership in historical societies whose purpose is to preserve their history.

To those of you who are clamoring for the extinction of our culture, our heritage and the memory of our heroes: You cannot change history. Removing statues and memorials will only cause resentment against those who are using this “politically correct” environment to forward their agenda.

I also agree wholeheartedly with the editorial in Sunday’s paper: enough with ‘60s coverage. This, too, is rehashing a battle that has already been won and encourages more resentment. Let us all profit from history, let us all honor our heritage and heroes and let us henceforth live in peace and harmony with one another as God intended.

Latrell Mickler

Sampson, FL

Credit to JSS...thanks Joyce.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I suppose that monument and that flag provide a sense of identity and belonging in our Community that SoWal wants no part of except to tell others who, what, when, where and how to embrace their heritage.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Why couldn't those who fought for the Confederacy have been infertile? In a perfect world, know what I'm saying?

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The most interesting question is. will Cecelia Jones have an excuse to not show when this comes to a vote like she did last time.
I think as far as most voters in sowal go it will not be as big a deal. Just like there appears to be a minority on sowal that wants to trash everything the county and its workers and politicians do, it is a minority and the people will vote for those they believe did the job or can do the job. To be honest I think the jabs at some of those politicians hurt the chance of change because folks tend to reject the negative. But hey, that is just my opinion.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I think as far as most voters in sowal go it will not be as big a deal. Just like there appears to be a minority on sowal that wants to trash everything the county and its workers and politicians do, it is a minority and the people will vote for those they believe did the job or can do the job. To be honest I think the jabs at some of those politicians hurt the chance of change because folks tend to reject the negative. But hey, that is just my opinion.

You just can't put the horse :poop: back in the horse.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
I'm going to share a post from FB that pretty much sums it all up in a nutshell!!

The history of the Civil War (AKA the War of Northern Aggression) has been distorted by those who falsely claim it was all about slavery. It was not. In so doing they are driving a wedge between two races of Americans who should be living in harmony this many generations since that horrible war of brother against brother.

Latrell Mickler

Sampson, FL

In a speech in 1861, Alexander Stephens, the Vice President of the Confederacy said that the Confederacy's "corner-stone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth."

New Orleans mayor Mitch Landrieu's article on the removal of the city's Confederate monuments is worth the read:

'We Can't Walk Away From This Truth'