• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
I can't imagine that anyone truly believes that it is the best interest of the beach, the wildlife, or even most of the people to have vehicles riding on the beaches on a consistent basis. While emergencies, some very limited areas for launching boats, accessing trash receptacles when no roadside access is available, and a few special needs cases make sense, most other uses are for convenience rather than need. Change is hard, but we all have to deal with it, like it or not.:welcome: to the world of crowds. These are not the beaches of the 70s anymore.

JBBeached

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2008
I think there are too many permits out there now. The driving area isn't very big and imagine if everyone with a permit went to the beach at the same time. Could you even get 1,000 vehicles on the beach at the same time?! I also think the county has too many vehicles cruising the beach. The number of tire tracks during the winter months is absurd. I really miss the beaches of the 70's.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Well

I certainly disagree with that! I live here and pay taxes, why should just south Walton residents be the only ones to have the opportunity/ privilege?
Sorry Bob, just need ways to cut back on permits in a realistic way. The lottery seems ridiculous. Who keeps a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the chance they might get a permit for any given year. People do this but shouldn't have to. You either have a permit or you do not. Seems like residents of the area (property owners) should be have priority in some things.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Sorry Bob, just need ways to cut back on permits in a realistic way. The lottery seems ridiculous. Who keeps a 4 wheel drive vehicle on the chance they might get a permit for any given year. People do this but shouldn't have to. You either have a permit or you do not. Seems like residents of the area (property owners) should be have priority in some things.
I understand, but that is leaving out folks who may have lived here for generations for someone who just happened to move here and get a beach permit based on the location of their home.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
How about we go back to what the original permit was for.... LAUNCHING BOATS..??

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
I understand, but that is leaving out folks who may have lived here for generations for someone who just happened to move here and get a beach permit based on the location of their home.
How about those homeowners (generations) that have deeds to their private beach???

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Are you saying they should be able to drive on their beach?

No silly Bob, they've had their property taken from them by local government, but you complain about long time residents having the "right" to drive on the beach. Has that been established in the courts, or is that just something everyone thought would be "understood"?

I was pointing out your inconsistent argument...

Leaving folks out? Can I drive on the Freeport north of the bay beaches??? (Based on how things are going, maybe I will some day..)

Lotto is fine with a limited number. NO transfers once won. Do NOT increase numbers. Keep vehicles off the beach!

OR

Refer to my original post about Daytona. Let's make Grayton, Daytona Beach!!!! (Sarc)

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
No silly Bob, they've had their property taken from them by local government, but you complain about long time residents having the "right" to drive on the beach. Has that been established in the courts, or is that just something everyone thought would be "understood"?

I was pointing out your inconsistent argument...

Leaving folks out? Can I drive on the Freeport north of the bay beaches??? (Based on how things are going, maybe I will some day..)

Lotto is fine with a limited number. NO transfers once won. Do NOT increase numbers. Keep vehicles off the beach!

OR

Refer to my original post about Daytona. Let's make Grayton, Daytona Beach!!!! (Sarc)
I still believe in customary use. If you don't that is fine. I am wondering why more people who claim property rights aren't knocking down the dunes and driving on it or building on it for that matter. Oh wait, government regulates that. I have no issue with government enforcing rules/ laws on the beach with relation to customary use. So the government seems to have a lot of latitude as to the beach.