• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Tyrone Magnanimous

Beach Comber
Jun 4, 2017
Inlet Beach
"Touron"? I see that a whole lot on this board,
aren't you biting the hand that literally feeds you by keeping all these restaurants you like open, and keeps you from paying state income taxes?

Perhaps I misjudged what this forum was about. The "I can live here, but close the door behind me" effect is strong with you guys.

Low Brow

Beach Lover
Jan 13, 2014
aren't you biting the hand that literally feeds you by keeping all these restaurants you like open, and keeps you from paying state income taxes?

Perhaps I misjudged what this forum was about. The "I can live here, but close the door behind me" effect is strong with you guys.

What folks forget, is that tourists will come no matter the local "vibe". They come for the sand and the water. The "local hospitality" is more often than not, carpet baggers that were tourists themselves 5-10 years ago. Now they are "local" and enjoy throwing "touron" around to give themselves a more "down home" feeling.

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
If you take note, this was after 2am....the gun-toting "touron" wasn't there to partake of the beach. The first question should be, what was the "touron" doing up at that time of the morning, and how did he happen to see that the TDC official was cruising the beach and attempting to remove his tent?.....was he "laying in wait" for potential tent-nappers? The second question should be, given that there are as many local dipsticks (with money or without, educated or not) that have been known to show their inner red-neck in public, often witnessed by our visiting guests......in similar fashion of gross generalization, shouldn't the "tourons" lump all of us who enjoy life as locals collectively as "lo-lifes"?
Report says deputy was on scene around 3am but incident may have been earlier - not clear.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005

A lot of people would live here without tourists. And as a matter of fact did.

People who say tourists are necessary are on one end of the spectrum, at the opposite end are folks who only want quiet beaches. The equilibrium point was about 1998 IMO.

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
Tourists and tourons are 2 different things. We like tourists, but are getting more and more tourons every year.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
A lot of people would live here without tourists. And as a matter of fact did.

People who say tourists are necessary are on one end of the spectrum, at the opposite end are folks who only want quiet beaches. The equilibrium point was about 1998 IMO.

All the nay-sayers need to do is spend some time on the beach and actually speak to the people visiting here NOW. While we still have a small, but strong % of respectful visitors, the tide has turned just about back when Katrina hit and TDC started Mass Marketing to everywhere.

What we see now is the effect of marking everywhere and many of our top dollar paying, good tipping, respectful tourists don't come here anymore.

When I walk the beach, I try to engage some of the visitors to learn about their vacation choice and why they came here. You usually find a few categories of visitor; ones that have been coming here for ages and love the area but they too notice the changes in quality of tourist, you have the ones the fled PCB after last Spring Break as it is not "safe" for their family and they are now here, but expecting to pay PCB prices... and then you have the people that just really need go visit somewhere else, glass on the beach, dogs on the beach, huge tents, loud music, leaving trash and plastic, foul language, the list goes on.

If you haven't noticed a change in the visitors that are here now as opposed to back pre-Katrina and Mass Marketing, pull your head out of the sand.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
All the nay-sayers need to do is spend some time on the beach and actually speak to the people visiting here NOW. While we still have a small, but strong % of respectful visitors, the tide has turned just about back when Katrina hit and TDC started Mass Marketing to everywhere.

What we see now is the effect of marking everywhere and many of our top dollar paying, good tipping, respectful tourists don't come here anymore.

When I walk the beach, I try to engage some of the visitors to learn about their vacation choice and why they came here. You usually find a few categories of visitor; ones that have been coming here for ages and love the area but they too notice the changes in quality of tourist, you have the ones the fled PCB after last Spring Break as it is not "safe" for their family and they are now here, but expecting to pay PCB prices... and then you have the people that just really need go visit somewhere else, glass on the beach, dogs on the beach, huge tents, loud music, leaving trash and plastic, foul language, the list goes on.

If you haven't noticed a change in the visitors that are here now as opposed to back pre-Katrina and Mass Marketing, pull your head out of the sand.
People, particlarly Americans, have changed a lot since then. Watched the news lately?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
The extreme is drunken momma driving on a golf cart at night on the bike path with her kids without her lights on.