• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
So sick of the beach chair/tent vendors setting up tents right next to the waters edge. One of the vendors with dark blue chairs and umbrellas sets them back a ways and far enough apart to walk through but the other guy with the cheap chairs and tents makes the beach look like crap. Today he put chairs right in front of the lifeguard tower. You could barely get by the tents to walk down the beach by the water. I'm ill and I don't appreciate having to haul my stuff a quarter mile down the beach to find a vacant spot. I was told when I moved here that local people don't matter to anyone. Sadly, I'm finding that true.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Unfortunately you are correct about locals.

Just wait till after season and all the traffic enforcement starts...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
So sick of the beach chair/tent vendors setting up tents right next to the waters edge. One of the vendors with dark blue chairs and umbrellas sets them back a ways and far enough apart to walk through but the other guy with the cheap chairs and tents makes the beach look like crap. Today he put chairs right in front of the lifeguard tower. You could barely get by the tents to walk down the beach by the water. I'm ill and I don't appreciate having to haul my stuff a quarter mile down the beach to find a vacant spot. I was told when I moved here that local people don't matter to anyone. Sadly, I'm finding that true.
Locals matter to us!

Chair guys have traditionally been the rugged individualist independent type. :moon: :rotfl:
Mix in college spirit, hangovers and competition and it gets kinda crazy.

Where is your beach?

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
Gulfview Heights and Walline. The situation with tents almost in the water was at GVH. I have also put my chair and stuff down and came back from swimming to find a vendor chair so close it was literally touching mine. That's just plain rude not rugged individualism. Sorry, but something needs to be done. Chairs should never be in front of the life guard towers unless we expect the lifeguards to learn how to fly. The tents being bunched together and right at waters edge gives less view of people in the water as well.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
We've been here long enough to not really spend much time on the beach in the high season when it's not only crowded but hot. But we are ok with it because there are so many other times to get out there and really enjoy it: early morning walks, sunsets, night time and winter time out on the beach. Any time other than March (spring break), or June-Aug (summer) is pretty okay out there day or night. We do see crowded holiday weeks or weekends or fall breaks, etc.. throughout the year now but you gotta know when to go.

beachbarnacle

Beach Lover
Mar 15, 2013
We've been here long enough to not really spend much time on the beach in the high season when it's not only crowded but hot. But we are ok with it because there are so many other times to get out there and really enjoy it: early morning walks, sunsets, night time and winter time out on the beach. Any time other than March (spring break), or June-Aug (summer) is pretty okay out there day or night. We do see crowded holiday weeks or weekends or fall breaks, etc.. throughout the year now but you gotta know when to go.
I work from home so I look at the beach cams in the morning and if the water looks pretty we're out the door and back before my clients notice I'm missing! HAHA!

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
The unfortunate reality is that Beach Vendors are growing and growing. Its a cash cow business with some very smart people owning some of these businesses. Smart business owners don't own dumb businesses.

The push for banning tents, while there are some merits to it (space and safety) totally favor the Beach Vendor.

Until these vendors that use PUBLIC Beach, which it basically all is now thanks to customary use, start to pay a usage fee to the county, I have no use for them.

Has anyone asked themselves, why this almost out of "Knowhere" became an issue in the last few years? Where was this problem five years ago? I don't recall it being one.

fletch7245

Beach Lover
Jun 19, 2012

Just curious about how many BCC meetings/workshops you have attended?