• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
We like casual atmosphere (sure don't want to tuck in my t-shirt;)) and very good food. Our regular spots have included Café Thirty-A, V Seagrove, the rooftop bar at B&A's, Red Bar, sometimes Hurricane Grill. We like eating at the bar at Great Southern. We still miss the awesome Rendezvous Café. Stinky's and Louie's are a little too far down the road, and we also never seem to want to drive past Eastern Lake.

We're looking forward to trying Surfing Deer, and I've always seemed to like whatever was in the old Gravel Road location - currently Steamboat Grill. We liked Shorty's when it opened, but less so recently. We've generally liked the Bay Restaurant. Has Borago moved to the old 331's spot? Should we try the food at Whiskey Bravo (which is actually just across the street from us)?

Any other new spots we should try out?

Thanks!

Kirk

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Must go to Abrazo in Grayton Beach (old Borago spot, same owners, great food!!!) Then must do the new Borago - what a beautiful bar and restaurant on the top level overlooking the bay. Downstairs is now a Beach Bar & Grill serving lunch (outside) - too hot for me right now though.

You can now have breakfast on the Rooftop at Bud & Alley's. Best view anywhere. The food is excellent. Of course, cocktails here at sunset is special. Check out the new beach access at Buds where you can get a cold drink at their Beach Bar.

If you've never tried La Crema in Rosemary Beach - treat yourself! A one of a kind place with some of the most delicious paella, apps, small plates, entrees and incredible desserts and Spanish wines. Feels like a little European Cafe with indoor seating and outdoor courtyard and sidewalk tables.

Trebeache in Blue Mountain Beach is great for lunch and dinner. Fun bar! Excellent dining experience. George Barnes (formerly Smiling Fish and Whiskey Bravo) is now the manager.

Bijoux at The Market Shops Sandestin may be off your beaten path but it's a great bar and dining experience. Paradis in Rosemary Beach is also a popular fine dining place.

Remember The Terrace? I'm hearing it's as good as ever after all these years. Someone recently described it as "old school" but awesome.

So many spots it's hard to keep up with. New Italian spot at 30Avenue: Amici - lots of good reviews. My favorite Italian is Fat Clemenza's in Miramar Beach. Two of the Italian chefs from Fat C's have opened up their own restaurants in Destin that people LOVE and I must get to soon: Mimmo's (near Target), Pazzo (next to barnes & nobels across from Destin Commons). Pazzo is getting rave reviews. These are the real deal here on the Panhandle of Florida.

Do some food shopping at Seaside Farmers Market on Saturday morning and go by For the Health of It for more good local shopping! Fresh seafood at Goatfeathers (two market locations) or Destin Ice (new in Inlet beach).

Grayton Seafood Co. is one of our little places we love for lunch and dinner. My favorite burger is at Marie's Bistro where they treat everyone like family. If you love Philly Cheesesteak get to South of Philly just north of Gulf Place. It's a hidden little gem where the locals go.

AJ's in Grayton Beach is new. Yes, it's touristy. But. There you'll find oysters on the half shell AND a full sushi bar. The rest of the menu is bar food and burgers which is something we don't have much of around here. Try it!

Shorty's is no longer. Chiringo is there now and people are loving it.

The Red Bar will always have my heart. Just stopped in and had a panne chicken sandwich right at the bar for lunch in the middle of the crowd. Just gotta do it. Sundays are special there with Dread Clampitt.

NEW breakfast spot in Seacrest: Grits & Grind! located inside La Cocina Mexican Grill - it's really good and worth the effort to get up and get there for a good morning meal.

And yes on Cafe Thirty-A, Great Southern, The Bay and so many more outstanding restaurants it's hard to recommend just one or two. Try Local Catch for lunch or dinner - very unique and delicious place in Blue Mountain Beach - get the pork nachos - and they have a great bar.

Use our guide (below) as we have the most amazing restaurant partners and food stories are priority for us as it's always been in the top 3 things people love to read about, share, and keep up with!

Also, read this Dining thread to see what else is new - we try to announce food news whenever restaurants come and go. Nick's on the Beach is gone. Back Beach BBQ is now in the old Corum's diner location on Back Beach Road just past Inlet Beach going into PCB, and we're hearing good things.

SoWal.com Food & Dining Guide for featured restaurants, food news and photos!

Last edited:

tide12

Beach Lover
May 9, 2006
OP: New "musts" opened within the past year or so would be Abrazo, Chiringo, and Surfing Deer (VERY poor start, but great now IMO). Not a new place, but since you asked I recommend that you AVOID Whiskey Bravo. They serve frozen food. Total garbage. Owner should be ashamed.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Why does anyone never recommend Vue30A at the Santa Rosa Golf Club. We were there in December for our 30th wedding anniversary. Gorgeous view, understated elegant atmosphere, impeccable service and the best food I've had on 30A.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
Thanks everyone! Are people liking the Surfing Deer? And did the chef from V Seagrove land anywhere close?

Staying two weeks this year so planning on branching out.

Kirkus

Beach Comber
Nov 29, 2005
Colleyville, TX
Oh, and one more question. Is Uber a thing in SOWAL? Sure would like to avoid the parking challenge in Grayton Beach. And maybe have one more drink.

tide12

Beach Lover
May 9, 2006
Why does anyone never recommend Vue30A at the Santa Rosa Golf Club. We were there in December for our 30th wedding anniversary. Gorgeous view, understated elegant atmosphere, impeccable service and the best food I've had on 30A.
It's inconsistent. Agree that at its best, it's excellent. Both food and service are inconsistent though, IMO.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
It's inconsistent. Agree that at its best, it's excellent. Both food and service are inconsistent though, IMO.
I've had a few good dinners at The Vue. Fun for a group of friends. It does have an incredible view. The food is OK.

We had a fantastic dinner at Whiskey Bravo with a bunch of us on girls night out. Still love their lunch menu with grouper sandwich or any of their salads.

Reminder: great lunch menu at Old Florida Fish House on an enclosed porch. Dinner, sushi and music nightly. We love this Seagrove lakeside spot.

My favorite thing ever is still Penne Chicken at The Red Bar or at Louis Louis. Sometimes Louis Louis has a special that you just can't refuse. Sometimes you just have to do The Red Bar on Sunday.

I want to try Elmos for seafood. Several friends have enjoyed dining there this year bragging on their southern seafood basket at the right price for food and drink. Apparently very family and kid friendly.

Dreamer

Beach Lover
Dec 29, 2014
Northwest Georgia
Just don't get the love of the food at The Red Bar. Great burgers for lunch, but that is about it! Have been visiting there for 20 yrs or so. Elmo's, although I haven't been there in a long time, was horrible!