• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
prception69 said:
Are these turtles endangered? Protected? Make a good soup?What's the hubbub bub? From what I have read so far they don't seem to be very bright creatures. Disoriented from light? I will continue to read up on this.
Just as plants grow toward the light, if artificial light does not interfear, the hatchlings are attracted to the light of the moon reflecting off the water, which lures them to sea. They are sure to die if they try to go the other way. The most critical time for a hatchling's life is the race from the nest to the open water.

Turtle flippers were prized for their meat, and probably still are in some parts of the world.

"What? Am I not Turtle enough for you? :dunno:

Seriously, you pose a good question. Hope my explanation helps.

prception69

Beach Comber
Jun 26, 2005
Oxford,MS
Smiling JOe said:
Just as plants grow toward the light, if artificial light does not interfear, the hatchlings are attracted to the light of the moon reflecting off the water, which lures them to sea. They are sure to die if they try to go the other way. The most critical time for a hatchling's life is the race from the nest to the open water.

Turtle flippers were prized for their meat, and probably still are in some parts of the world.

"What? Am I not Turtle enough for you? :dunno:

Seriously, you pose a good question. Hope my explanation helps.
What if we are under a new moon situation and there isn't moon light? Is he S.O.L.?

It's a marvelous night for a moon dance.......

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
prception69 said:
What if we are under a new moon situation and there isn't moon light? Is he S.O.L.?

It's a marvelous night for a moon dance.......
They probably have a clock built into their body, and would not hatch on a new moon. No different than a Sunflower not moving with the Sun when the Sun sets for the day. You guys don't watch the Discovery Channel?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
alic65 said:
that's where i personally thought flashlights would come in handy..
If there were no artificial light, you would be able to see the turtle tracks just fine. We are more advanced beings that today's culture and society would lead us to believe.