• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I can't stop chop. 30-A has been chopped since 1969. We can insist on preventive measures. We have to do the best we can.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Other than bypass through state land, what solutions are being proposed??
There simply aren't any solutions to ease traffic problems, in the east "hemisphere", without going through state forests. We have agonized over this for many years, and we have to face reality sometimes. I want to remind people for the hundereth time, all anybody is proposing is ONE CONNECTOR ROAD, not a network, not a turnpike. It is could be done with great care. It is necessary.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
We can all sit around and bemoan the fact that we allowed too much development for the available infrastructure along the 30-A corridor and that we are woefully behind on infrastructure. We can all bemoan the fact that politicians have far too often sold us down the river and if we are honest, bemoan the fact that those people are where they are/were because we put them there. We can do yet another study or we can advocate "solutions" that are not legal or possible like declaring a ban on new development.
Or.
We can get busy on working towards solutions, both short and long term.
1. Immediately install a traffic light at 30-A/395
2. Begin work on turn lanes at the same intersection.
3. Begin the permitting and engineering work on a connector road along the power line that is fenced and has adequate bridges over wetlands and animal crossings under the roadway.
4. Begin the permitting and engineering for turn lanes on all the north/south connector roads and the arteries that feed into them so that traffic flows better across the grid.
5. Where ROW permits, build turn lanes at all the major 30-A intersections and begin replacing 4-way stops along the roadway with traffic signals. Finish the above engineered projects.
6. Begin the planning and property acquisition for off-site parking and a mass transit solution throughout the 30-A grid for workers and visitors.
7. Fund these projects with traffic concurrency funds as much as possible and strictly enforce the LDC and comp plan regarding traffic capacity. Tighten the codes if needed.
8. Fully fund the South Walton TIF to provide a funding source for these projects.
This plan is not perfect but we cannot fail to act any further and these steps will help. Some will take years to come to fruition, but if we do not begin the process now, then 5-10 years from now we will have a dramatically worse situation and no hope in sight of addressing the issues. I wish things were perfect and in a perfect world we would not need to encroach one foot into the forest. But things are almost out of control and our people deserve to be able to move about and conduct their business without sitting in gridlock for hours every day. Not to mention that if you are the victim you want emergency vehicles to be able to get to you or your home in time.

KimH

Beach Comber
Nov 17, 2016
Little Rock, Arkansas
ANOTHER ATTEMPT TO DESTROY OUR CONSERVATION and RECREATION LAND! Please attend the special meeting on the proposed road through Point Washington State Forest. Monday July 31 at 1:00 pm. At the South Walton Annex. As you can see from the maps below the proposed road will obliterate parts of the Eastern Lake Trail System, including the Cassine Garden Trail! Attend the meeting and speak out against this proposal. Our Conservation and Recreation Lands need to remain Conservation and Recreation. Please share this post.

20293163_10210279033515351_6151972825800022071_n.jpg

20294044_10210279033595353_4789723558324839752_n.jpg
Can anyone provide an update on what happened at the meeting? I own property in Cassine and I'm very concerned about losing the Cassine Garden Trail. Thanks.

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
This will only get more cars along 30-A. Many times cars are backed up heading west almost to Goatfeathers and on to Watercolor. How does this help? Time to stop the developer driven TDC and BCC. Show some respect for residents and ALL property tax payers.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
This will only get more cars along 30-A. Many times cars are backed up heading west almost to Goatfeathers and on to Watercolor. How does this help? Time to stop the developer driven TDC and BCC. Show some respect for residents and ALL property tax payers.

Agreed.This is a real thing. You can experience it in Destin. Read more here:
Induced demand - Wikipedia

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I'm going to accept it as fact,(cuz, I'm a Democrat, and that's the way we roll) but I'm still going to see the possibilities that this proposed connector road will actually be two-laned, and will actually take quite a few cars away from a two lane, overcrowded road (30-A) to a faster flowing four lane highway (98) with all due haste.

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
Best I can tell 395 will still be two lanes north of the connector connection to 395. Just more and more backups. Let's go with that reduced demand thing.