• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
I know I've read on this subject before but I was reading reviews on the place we are staying at in September in Inlet Beach that is pet friendly. One woman mentioned loving that she could bring her dogs and that they can be on the beach between 3 and 9. I know that can't be so because beach home owners probably have to have a permit even. Would be nice though if tourists could get a temporary permit go there pooches. Wish that were the case.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
I think in some places so many dogs would be on the beach it would cause a lot of problems. And lots of people would let them off the leash.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
We've never stayed at Inlet Beach when we've had dogs with us so this is a first time for bringing our dog to that area. He's been our travel buddy the past several years when going to the beach.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
I know I've read on this subject before but I was reading reviews on the place we are staying at in September in Inlet Beach that is pet friendly. One woman mentioned loving that she could bring her dogs and that they can be on the beach between 3 and 9. I know that can't be so because beach home owners probably have to have a permit even. Would be nice though if tourists could get a temporary permit go there pooches. Wish that were the case.

Can tell I typed this from my phone and spellcheck changed two of my words to a incorrect spelling! Supposed to be for their pooches. :rolleyes:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Many homes are pet-friendly but the beaches not so much. People who have permits for their dogs can to between 6:00 p.m. and 8:00 a.m., 3:00 - 9:00 fall and winter. However, visitors cannot purchase a permit and homeowners cannot leave theirs for their guests. Take your own risks, but I have seen the beach patrol check tags this summer and back in the day when I used to work in the office that issued the tags, I have seen homeowner's permits (purchased for their dogs) confiscated for allowing others to use them.

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
The county is missing out on some serious $ by not allowing anyone to buy a pet license for the beach. Make it easy to buy (online) and have the license good for the year, not this Aug-Aug nonsense. The hours, pick up after your pet and leash laws are fine they way they are IMHO.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
There is an ordinance and it is not enforced in a consistent manner.

With the comments on this thread and others about the LACK of it, you'll probably now get a ticket...maybe a written warning by Jeff...

I see a revenue stream if permits were property enforced, but we don't even issue parking tickets so who cares?

Mike Smith

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
My point is that we don't even allow people to comply by not making it available and easy for ANYONE who wants to buy a permit to do so. Why restrict to residents? Why not allow anyone to buy a permit online? I'm a homeowner so I can buy a permit if I choose, but the likelihood of me driving to some inconvenient location to buy a permit that expires in Aug every year just to walk a dog on the beach a few times isn't real high.

The county should sell short term permits and annual permits to anyone who wants one. The county is leaving $100's of thousands on the table. The county could take this extra revenue and probably fund more enforcement officers and have plenty left over for other projects..

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
My point is that we don't even allow people to comply by not making it available and easy for ANYONE who wants to buy a permit to do so. Why restrict to residents? Why not allow anyone to buy a permit online? I'm a homeowner so I can buy a permit if I choose, but the likelihood of me driving to some inconvenient location to buy a permit that expires in Aug every year just to walk a dog on the beach a few times isn't real high.

The county should sell short term permits and annual permits to anyone who wants one. The county is leaving $100's of thousands on the table. The county could take this extra revenue and probably fund more enforcement officers and have plenty left over for other projects..

I would buy a short term permit just to be able to walk our dog on the beach if they offered them. He does the same as anyone else's dog. Sorry to sound so crass but he pees and poops just like every other dog.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Its a good topic for the discussion of generating revenue.

First, Enforcement lacks and you can get away with it if you claim ignorance. "Oh Officer (Jeff), I live in Georgia, I didn't know..."

I'm all for issuing temp permits to visitors. Its absolutely silly to see how many allow pets in their units, but don't make mention about the County Rules in their rental paperwork.

The issue here, as always, is ENFORCEMENT and the ability to enforce by Fine that has some teeth when these people go home and have torn up the ticket... I've addressed this on this site and others over and over again...

Our local judges don't have time to deal with civil violations...

Last edited: