• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
Costs to construct a home on 30a are typical of any other coastal Florida market.

Calculate the cost of all materials to build a building and you have the cost. The difference in SoWal is what the human element believes they deserve.

Ask any experienced builder to calculate the cost of all the materials on your job first excluding all labor. If they can't give you the cost of all the materials combined then move on to someone else who can.

The cost of "materials only" to build a house in Rosemary Beach is somewhere near $75 per square foot. WaterSound Beach $73, Watercolor $71, Alys Beach $70. Then calculate the labor for every trade. A yard of 3,000 PSI, regular rock, no fiber concrete is currently +- $94. A 3,000 sq ft Alys Beach 100% concrete home will use approximately 320 yards of concrete

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Costs to construct a home on 30a are typical of any other coastal Florida market.

Calculate the cost of all materials to build a building and you have the cost. The difference in SoWal is what the human element believes they deserve.

Ask any experienced builder to calculate the cost of all the materials on your job first excluding all labor. If they can't give you the cost of all the materials combined then move on to someone else who can.

The cost of "materials only" to build a house in Rosemary Beach is somewhere near $75 per square foot. WaterSound Beach $73, Watercolor $71, Alys Beach $70. Then calculate the labor for every trade. A yard of 3,000 PSI, regular rock, no fiber concrete is currently +- $94. A 3,000 sq ft Alys Beach 100% concrete home will use approximately 320 yards of concrete
Very interesting...can you give me more info on homes you have built and which are you own as approved builders for their customers. Thanks.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
I'm not here looking for customers. I'm here to help any SoWal member understand the cost of materials so they can determine if the labor end is worth it or not. I have no problem sharing the actual costs of construction on the 400 projects I've already completed.
SoWal is also thick in layers of individuals who get paid out of the construction costs, but who actually perform no work that would be described as construction completion. Think about a contractor who hires managers to manage an individual house. Consider if those managers perform work and what the actual dollar value of the work they perform is worth compared to their expense. Consider the subs that contractors use and if the sub actually performs work on the building. Many, many Subs here do not perform any of the work but they do take some of the money for themselves which is categorized as a construction expense.
I like to start by asking for a detailed estimate of the cost of all the materials to complete a project. Your search begins and ends on this simple document. This document will show you whether the contractor of record has a true grasp on the materials it takes to build a building, and his or her success in negotiating the purchase of those materials. If they are overpaying for number 2 Southern Yellow Pine it can't be unrecognized on this type of a form. Then the difference becomes are the subs and the owner giving you $50,000 worth of combined value, $100,000 worth of combined value, $300,000 worth of combined value or $450,000 for their labor efforts alone.

Last edited:

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
Tell me more. I am considering builders to build my house.
Be very careful in your builder selection. Due full due diligence on their history, including previous Company names they have built under, and investigate if they (or their predecessor Companies and/or principals) have been removed from approved builder lists in any communities in the area.

SpringStreetBuilders

Beach Comber
Oct 31, 2017
Seagrove Beach
Be very careful in your builder selection. Due full due diligence on their history, including previous Company names they have built under, and investigate if they (or their predecessor Companies and/or principals) have been removed from approved builder lists in any communities in the area.
Don't let people distract you. Ask for a list of all the materials, and their cost. You can compare Apples to Apples clearly this way. Number 2 Southern Yellow Pine can't be confused. 3,000 PSI regular rock concrete can't be confused.