• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Prayer before public meetings is a long-standing tradition and part of our common heritage. And it is legal.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has ruled on this issue twice in recent years. In Galloway v. Town of Greece, the Court ruled:

"As a practice that has long endured, legislative prayer has become part of our heritage and tradition, part of our expressive idiom, similar to the Pledge of Allegiance, inaugural prayer, or the recitation of 'God save the United States and this honorable court' at the opening of this court's sessions," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote.

It is a time-honored tradition to open public meetings with a prayer. It is appropriate to ask the blessings of our Creator on our public proceedings so long as those prayers do not promote or denigrate any specific sect or belief set. Our public prayers, along with the Pledge of Allegiance, set the tone for our meetings and serve as a reminder to conduct ourselves in a sober, thoughtful manner. Our heritage has been to conduct these traditional elements at the beginning of our meetings and there is no reason to change. No one is coerced into joining in or joining any particular faith and anyone in the audience or on the board can decide not to participate if they choose.

The law is clear and the law has not been violated. Questioning a practice that has wide popular support and is legal as declared by the United States Supreme Court is not producing one job, housing one homeless family or protecting any of our natural resources. It fact it will divide the community and prevent those issues from receiving the attention they deserve. We have many issues to discuss that are vital to the well-being of our citizens. In my opinion, this is not one of them.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Prayer before public meetings is a long-standing tradition and part of our common heritage. And it is legal.

The fact is that the Supreme Court has ruled on this issue twice in recent years. In Galloway v. Town of Greece, the Court ruled:

"As a practice that has long endured, legislative prayer has become part of our heritage and tradition, part of our expressive idiom, similar to the Pledge of Allegiance, inaugural prayer, or the recitation of 'God save the United States and this honorable court' at the opening of this court's sessions," Justice Anthony Kennedy wrote.

It is a time-honored tradition to open public meetings with a prayer. It is appropriate to ask the blessings of our Creator on our public proceedings so long as those prayers do not promote or denigrate any specific sect or belief set. Our public prayers, along with the Pledge of Allegiance, set the tone for our meetings and serve as a reminder to conduct ourselves in a sober, thoughtful manner. Our heritage has been to conduct these traditional elements at the beginning of our meetings and there is no reason to change. No one is coerced into joining in or joining any particular faith and anyone in the audience or on the board can decide not to participate if they choose.

The law is clear and the law has not been violated. Questioning a practice that has wide popular support and is legal as declared by the United States Supreme Court is not producing one job, housing one homeless family or protecting any of our natural resources. It fact it will divide the community and prevent those issues from receiving the attention they deserve. We have many issues to discuss that are vital to the well-being of our citizens. In my opinion, this is not one of them.

Prayer before public meetings is not the issue Danny, recognizing one particular Churches alleged service to the Community over another is.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
I have No respect for a person that refuses to stand for prayer Kadence.

Quite frankly my dear I don't care because I have 0 (zero) respect for anyone that uses religion as an excuse to try an act like a human being.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
So that's why you don't stand in respect to God because you don't want to be accused of being a human being....what does that make you...???

Tell me where its written in the bible that I must stand to show God respect???

Jesus condemns as hypocrites those who make an ostentatious display of praying!

Last edited:

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
P.S. Cecilia...most people believe that showing respect to God means being on your knees in prayer not showing off at a Commission meeting begging for recognition of a Churches 30 years of service.

Tell me again exactly what it is your Church deserved those praises for? How many homeless people did they house when temps reached freezing in Walton County last year? (Oh wait I know the answer, they don't want the riffraff in SoWal so they closed the shelter!) How many meals did they prepare to feed the homeless? (Answer: NONE!) How much clothing or household goods have they donated to help those less fortunate or who were victims of Irma that lost everything? Where were all the volunteers from your Church when Walton County Emergency Management was asking for volunteers during Irma? Was your behind working the shelter that was provided? (LOL, we know it wasn't.)

Fact is, if they had 30 years of REAL service to this community and those less fortunate you wouldn't have to ask for recognition because people in Walton County would know all about the great work they do!