• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Outstanding editorial blog by Wyndham Vacation Rentals: We Travel for Culture | Exploring the Arts of Northwest Florida. This one is about Sean Dietrich, a local you may know or be familiar with his books, storytelling blogs and music.

We Travel for Culture | Exploring the Arts of Northwest Florida – Part 2

When we first met Sean Dietrich, AKA Sean of the South, getting him to nail down his exact occupation proved difficult. He humbly said, "I can't call myself a musician, though that'd probably be the easiest thing." As he sat down to glide his fingers across the ivory keys of his piano, we were immediately impressed; add vocals, guitar and accordion to his list of musical talents.

20170531-RQ_SeanofTheSouth_Murphy_143911157107.jpg

Sean is probably best-known for his writing, but music has long-been a passion and therapy of his. After moving to Northwest Florida at the age of 14, Sean took on odd-jobs to help his single mother make ends meet. He started playing music on the side, and then full-time at the age of nineteen. He played for three different churches and took gigs in many bars and restaurants.

20170531-RQ_SeanofTheSouth_Murphy_143911156918.jpg

"I spent half of my life playing in establishments that my mother does not approve of," he says. "I also led worship in three different churches. She approves of that wholeheartedly." These days, you might find Sean playing in his band, The Boiled Peanut Vendors, somewhere along the Florida Gulf Coast, or you might catch an impromptu solo performance at one of his speaking engagements. For more about Sean of the South, watch his mini-documentary here:

Wyndham Vacation Rentals: http://www.vacationdifferently.com/ for excellent content regarding travel and culture around the world including Northwest Florida beaches. The new blog features cultural arts editorial and video with a focus on the arts in Northwest Florida.

Sean Dietrich is a writer, humorist, novelist, and biscuit connoisseur, known for his commentary and stories on life in the American South. A transplant to Northwest Florida, the self-proclaimed “adopted son of Alabama” writes and shares a column every day on his blog, "Sean of the South," always consisting of 460 words, always posted at 11:27PM and always worth the read. Sean's work has appeared in Southern Living, The Tallahassee Democrat, and Good Grit & South Magazine (just to name a few). He has also authored seven books.Learn more at http://www.seanofthesouth.com.

Follow Sean of the South on Facebook for daily writings. He has a big local following of people who look forward to reading his short stories.

Last edited: