• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
Thank you for your comments Jordana,

I wrote this article specifically to get people involved and talking about this issue. I wanted people to be aware that there is an ordinance, read it and learn the process for filing a complaint and how other communities have dealt with it. There is no question that lack of enforcement is a common complaint here.

There are a lot of outdoor music venues with Rosemary, Seaside, Watercolor, Aly's, the Hub. Now I've heard the FloraBama folks have taken over the town center stage in Gulf Place and are opening an amplified live entertainment venue/restaurant, Shump Gulley. I'm sure they will be good neighbors but all of these places as well as any restaurant hosting amplified, live entertainment have a potential to disturb the peace; it really should be simple. Play by the rules, be respectful to peace and quiet and everyone is happy. In that scenario business thrives and the community embraces you. Not so much if you disturb the peace in a residential area.

One of the largest complaints come from monster houses with crowds of 30 or more just being loud or wedding venues. I just think we have to try to get ahead of this and tighten the rules and demand enforcement. I would think the Sheriff would support a low tolerance for noise and would also support tightening the rules. Education is the key so everyone, venues, restaurants, rental companies, locals and tourists all know the rules so everyone can work together to enforce and comply with the rules.

This wheel has been invented in other communities, we just have a very low tolerance and stop noisemakers in their tracks. Don't get me wrong, I love live entertainment but there has to be a balance struck that works for everyone. People should be able to enjoy themselves in the privacy of their own home but when it affects the neighbors that is just plain wrong. It boils down to respect really.
Interesting since I've heard that Gulf Place residents have been vocal against music there.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Nothing's changed.

We have local Ordinance and Laws.

These are Selectively Enforced by the elected Sheriff.

Nothing to see here, move along and get out of the tourist way.

Ohio Girl

Beach Lover
Feb 13, 2006
Sagamore Hills OH
MTV's new reality show ... this should be good for business

"Set in the Florida Panhandle along the beach that stretches all the way to Alabama, "MTV Floribama Shore” is the story of eight young adults who come to spend the summer in the hottest beach town on the Gulf Coast, Panama City Beach, to party it up and put the real world on hold for just a little bit longer. But each is armed with incredible life experiences and standing at a crossroads, whether it’s ending a relationship, tasting independence for the first time, or trying to escape the past. This coming of age story captures the very real thrill and angst of being young and trying to figure out the future with a group of people you’ll come to call family."

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
MTV's new reality show ... this should be good for business

"Set in the Florida Panhandle along the beach that stretches all the way to Alabama, "MTV Floribama Shore” is the story of eight young adults who come to spend the summer in the hottest beach town on the Gulf Coast, Panama City Beach, to party it up and put the real world on hold for just a little bit longer. But each is armed with incredible life experiences and standing at a crossroads, whether it’s ending a relationship, tasting independence for the first time, or trying to escape the past. This coming of age story captures the very real thrill and angst of being young and trying to figure out the future with a group of people you’ll come to call family."
Just wait and watch the Adkinson WCSO PR Machine get involved in this some how...

Its not the first time a MTV Reality Show was in the area. Years ago that show Jack A$s with Johnny Knocksville did a stunt on I-10. I think a few actually got arrested here or in neighboring county.

Yes, the MTV Crowd is just what our area needs...

Florence

Beach Comber
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Rosa beach
Dave, unless “limited outdoor entertainment “ is defined and the VMU standards are applied for comparability with adjacent neighborhoods, we will continue to have issues.

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
NWFL Daily News GUEST COLUMN: Let's work together to manage South Walton noise

By Dave Rauschkolb | Special to the Daily News
Posted Nov 5, 2017 at 8:00 AM

[snipped]

We as locals, along with rental agencies, the county, the TDC and law enforcement, all need to work together to educate renters, restaurants and bars about the Walton County noise ordinance to ensure our right to peace and quiet, and the quality of life we have come to expect here.

If the Music City can do it, we certainly can.

Here is a link to the Walton County noise ordinance: https://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/1367

This guest column was written by Dave Rauschkolb, who is a 31-year business owner and resident of South Walton.

Dave,
Good article. But from my view the air and the airwaves are free for all shouldn't they be? Historically people have been able to make all the noise and music they want to anywhere. I'm not understanding why you as a private property owner think that you have the "right" to peace and quiet on your own property when the air is free for everyone to use and customarily has been used to make noise, music, etc for centuries.

Why do you view this music as a disturbance that should be stopped? I believe there should be a customary noise use ordinance for Walton county and plan to introduce it at the next meeting. Music should be allowed without restriction - especially if it's a hired band - that's good for tourism. As long as the band stays within 15 feet of your property line then it should be ok?

Let the airwaves be FREE for all!!!
[spoiler: Dave, Hope you don't mind I'm just having a little fun. I happen to agree with you 100% on the noise issue but couldn't resist]

Last edited:

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
I honestly don't see what the draw is for South Walton. Traffic, crowds, and yes, noise. But at least it isn't part of the "Redneck Rivera" anymore. Now it's snob central with prices to match. And you might get run over by someone on a bicycle.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
There has always been live music in this area and the businesses that host it would have gone under a long time ago if it wasnt popular. This seems like another example of a bunch of people moving into and area and trying to change it to suit them. And Dave even YOUR establishment had live music (as well as the amphitheater) for many years. Just because you chose to stop doesnt mean everyone has too. South Walton has always been music/musician friendly and if it has to come to another "SAVE THE MUSIC" march down 30A I am sure it can and will be arranged. Obviously jordana didnt do alot of research into where she was buying/building or she would have found out the definition of "limited outdoor entertainment" varies from state/county. These places that host live music have been here alot longer than most of the people that live here now and compromised on the hours and loudness years ago when this issue came up before. It is not the county OR the residents job to "make the public aware that they could be living adjacent to a venue that allows unrestricted outdoor music until 10pm with no recourse." That would fall under "researching where you are moving to" not just barging in and trying to change an area to suit you.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
In case some of you dont remember or were not here for "SAVE THE MUSIC" back in 2008 there are a couple of threads on this site that will inform you on how and why the current noise ordinance came about. Just type "SAVE THE MUSIC" into the search function and they will be on page 2. We were not ready for SOWAL to become a retirement community back them and I am sure that there are still plenty of us that STILL dont want it to become one.

kayti elliott

Beach Lover
Feb 19, 2014
Freeport
Thanks Dave - let's keep SoWal charming!

Noise, litter, sign and light pollution, utilities, etc are all increasing as we grow. It's not that hard to keep our community sweet but it does take attention to details and pressure on government, developers, utility companies, and homeowners.
Some people think Bourbon Street is charming.