• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
And no upland property say in vending !

Walton County released a draft of the proposed changes to the Beach Activity Ordinance today in time for the BCC meeting in DeFuniak Springs, Tuesday, November 28 at 9 a.m. It is our understanding the BCC will take action to schedule a public hearing At the December 12
BCC meeting in south Walton. It may start at 3:00 pm instead of 4;00 pm to hear public input.

From what we read, it appears vending will be expanded to allow vending on all beaches, except private property. It says vendors may not vend seaward of the Erosion Control Line(ECL). The only place that has an ECL is Miramar due to the beach nourishment completed there. Basically, all other beaches will be open to the vendor 50% zone rule on all other areas (except private beaches which the county says are not private based on the customary use ordinance).
Upland property owners will no longer have a say in whether vending will be authorized in front of their upland property. Since there is no ECL line In Eastern Walton County, vendors have pretty much free rein.

Also, the prohibition on vending food and beverage on the beaches
Is proposed to go away.

In addition, grills (propane no larger than 225 sf) are now allowed along with generators of a certain size.

If these expansions are approved,
and vendors take over beaches cooking on huge grills, serving beverages, and generating electricity for lights, etc. we anticipate a horrendous spring break appeal. We also anticipate more fighting over front row spaces, ghost chairs, and well, just plain bedlam on the beaches. The trash alone from cooking with grills will be another problem. The days of a quiet relaxing experience on the beach are just about gone. This nails the coffin shut.

We may as well advertise “come to beaches of South Walton and fight for your piece of the beach.” Or maybe this is the 2,000 jobs promised. No one said they would be vendor jobs and that would be the bcc’s idea of economic development.

Signs on the beach will be permitted on “private” property corners a max of 18”x 18”. ( How will this work with the customary use ordinance adopted by the BCC?) Details!

No wonder houses aren’t selling like they were last year. Inventory is huge in our neighborhood.
No one wants their guests to have to fight for a spot on the beach and be subjected to the trash, bonfire remains, stacked chairs everywhere, etc.

Goodbye beautiful beaches.

www.facebook.com/Waltonpolitics/?hc_ref=ARSl-N-vfL1G9C-wikYxmxw4Y3y8yhE3GRhEeoCOTgVIuxGvHOtEZLkvQ1beryTnx70&fref=nf

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Goodbye beautiful beaches is right. What a mess.

Sad to see our area going the way of Daytona Beach and other once nice beaches.

Vendors Rule the Roost Folks. I think I'm going to become one. I'll sell churros on the beach...

Dawn

Beach Fanatic
Oct 16, 2008
Why does the beach have to be ruined by greed? It was one of the few things left in my life for joy. The goose is cooked.

beachmax

Beach Comber
Mar 29, 2017
30-A
Customary use does not obviate the private beach. The beach is still private but it can be used by the public. I do not believe that beach vendors are allowed on the beaches owned by private entities.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Just another prime example of how little certain BCC members care about their constituients!

Pure greed.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Customary use does not obviate the private beach. The beach is still private but it can be used by the public. I do not believe that beach vendors are allowed on the beaches owned by private entities.

That needs some serious clarification at the upcoming meetings and public hearings.

It's one thing to have me selling my churros on a public beach, but another thing to have me selling churros in front of your home, near the water's edge...

What if the people that rent that beach front home don't want me selling churros early in the morning, in front of their vacation rental home? I get up early and plan on hitting the beach at sun-up. Not to mention my churro selling music I'll play each day as I walk the fine line on the public / private beach.

Blindsquirrel

Beach Crab
Oct 25, 2015
Attend the meeting. Make your voices heard. I’m new here. Where is the “Save 30A” political action group? Is there such a group? are HOAs, as well as individuals, environmentalist organizations for example..who are meeting regularly to oppose the development nightmare threatening the natural beauty of our beaches, forests and coastal lakes?

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
No food and beverage vending on the sandy beach, please. Another thing is beach setups that come automatically with rentals. These are the new ghost setups and need to be addressed. Not sure how... I don' have a problem with the gas grills. They were allowed before and they don't leave the mess that charcoal does.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Attend the meeting. Make your voices heard. I’m new here. Where is the “Save 30A” political action group? Is there such a group? are HOAs, as well as individuals, environmentalist organizations for example..who are meeting regularly to oppose the development nightmare threatening the natural beauty of our beaches, forests and coastal lakes?
Folks complain here ....
but stay home or stay quiet at BCC meetings.
But if you go 80% of attendance are the vendors so they get what they want (Organized)..plus some commissioners families are in vending business ..
Yes,Owners need a voice..let's hire some legal HELP...I'm in !!!!!!!!
Go fund me