• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
I urge all Walton County citizens to watch this video. This brave young student eloquently outlines the Walton County school system's dismissive attitude towards it's diminishing music programs and band students in particular. School officials should be held accountable for this negative environment especially elected school board members (3 school board seats are on the ballot this year), the superintendent, and administrators.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
This video has an overwhelming number of views in just a few days. Please share with friends, media, and school officials.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
No school is perfect but my Montessori kid went from South Walton Montessori to Seaside Middle School where the arts AND Physical Education as well as other mentoring and a range of extracurricular classes are celebrated and ingrained into the curriculum - and treated as just as important as any other subject. I remember going to Bay Elementary several times for a tour each year to find out about curriculum etc. So depressing when answers regarding art and music and PE were answered with requirements for core curriculum by state law not allowing time for the arts or a full physical education program. So sad and also true for many schools. This is nothing new.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Celebrate that this young lady is/was willimg to get involved in the decision making process and speak out. I admire her convictions. These kids are our future and they need to know they have a voice.

Government needs to listen to the children. While admittedly they need recreational activities ( not a $600,000 press box) they also want and need the arts.

This country needs well rounded, educated children.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
The video now has over 178,000 views and the silence is deafening....so far no response from the Walton County school superintendent or from a single school board member. To quote protestors at the 1968 Democratic convention, "The whole world is watching."

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Celebrate that this young lady is/was willimg to get involved in the decision making process and speak out. I admire her convictions. These kids are our future and they need to know they have a voice.

Government needs to listen to the children. While admittedly they need recreational activities ( not a $600,000 press box) they also want and need the arts.

This country needs well rounded, educated children.
School Board didn't pay for the press box at Helen McCall if that is the implication is. If you are implying they spent to much money at the WHS football stadium instead of funding the arts ok. How much did that stadium cost?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
School Board didn't pay for the press box at Helen McCall if that is the implication is. If you are implying they spent to much money at the WHS football stadium instead of funding the arts ok. How much did that stadium cost?

Wow Bob...that's a real freaking stretch.

The press box comment was sarcasm!

My post was commending this young woman for getting involved.