• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
I applaud the efforts of our community to elevate status and protection of our natural resources and beauty. A few years ago the feeder roads were also designated as Scenic Highways - I believe county roads 83, 283, and 395 (not sure about 393).

I'm not sure what kind of enhancements or restrictions were added to these roads.

It seems our scenic roads are getting cluttered with signs, utilities. When Chelco or Regional Utilitities constructs large power stations or wastewater pumping stations shouldn't they need to comply? What about vegetative buffers? Seems they get away with things regular businesses can't. Do the scenic corridor regulations apply equally?

I had an idea that instead of "County Road 395 South" why don't we rename it "Scenic Seagrove Road" or Scenic Seagrove Highway"? And same for "Scenic Grayton Beach Road", "Scenic Blue Mountain Beach Boulevard" ...or at least "Grayton Road", Seagrove Parkway" "Blue Mountain Boulevard" or the like.

Any thoughts / info?

TJMay

Beach Lover
Jul 25, 2005
I have no understanding of the legal ramifications or the economic hit of doing this but I think its an idea worth exploring.

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
Sounds awesome! Grayton Beach Highway or Road or Boulevard is a ton better than Co Rd 283 - will help visitors get around for sure.

I know the commission just greenlit parking and mobility plan that includes signage so that would fit right in. Although the official name change could start now if the other is going to be awhile.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I would love to see this happen. Just “Seagrove Road” Etc. would be fine. I have fantasized for decades calling “30-A” something a little better. My suggestion would be for “Eleven Lakes Road”. I know this would cause untold consternation with companies that use the old moniker in their names and logos, but, as the saying goes, the times, they are a-changing.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
I would love to see this happen. Just “Seagrove Road” Etc. would be fine. I have fantasized for decades calling “30-A” something a little better. My suggestion would be for “Eleven Lakes Road”. I know this would cause untold consternation with companies that use the old moniker in their names and logos, but, as the saying goes, the times, they are a-changing.
Agree. Scenic 30a was a pretty cool name but the prostitution of "30A" is sleezy.

I'm all for the original poster's idea! How to make it happen?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I think there are alot of things that must be done and requirements met before you can call a road "Scenic" Pretty sure it was quite the process to get 30A named that. Pretty sure Dave from B&As would be able to give more information on that .

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I like the current name of 30A and definitely don't want it changed.

Adding a name to the connector roads I am not as opposed to, but I tend to not want to rename things that already have names. After the Big Blue Signs, and the ugly green street signs being used for the dune lakes, I am leery of new sign designs. If you do go forward with it, can you please bring back the great old wood signs?

From a practical standpoint, I think having more names for the same road will just confuse the tourists and navigation systems.

I'd rather see the effort and money go towards decluttering, cleaning up, landscaping, and de-signing the scenic highways to make them more scenic.

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Hey kids,

Great idea Abby. I found this excellent "how to" blog post from Jennifer Vrynios in Tallahassee. In the post, she states "Under the Florida Scenic Highway Program, any citizen, group of citizens or local government agency can propose a corridor for designation. These stakeholders must form a Byway Organization to develop and deliver the required documentation."
Source article: Designating a Florida Scenic Highway

So....let's have a meetup and get this thing rolling..

coondog

Beach Lover
Apr 27, 2009
How about focusing on the “scenic” term by getting Code Enforcement to remove all of the illegal signage up and down 30-A? They signage ordinance along the “scenic highway” is black and white, but is routinely ignored, mostly by real estate brokers. What is the point of having an ordinance if you are going to turn a blind eye? They could massively clean up the illegal sign pollution by simply traversing 30-A from west to east in one day.

Why no enforcement?

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
Hey kids,

Great idea Abby. I found this excellent "how to" blog post from Jennifer Vrynios in Tallahassee. In the post, she states "Under the Florida Scenic Highway Program, any citizen, group of citizens or local government agency can propose a corridor for designation. These stakeholders must form a Byway Organization to develop and deliver the required documentation."
Source article: Designating a Florida Scenic Highway

So....let's have a meetup and get this thing rolling..
30a, 395, 283, and 83 are already designated Scenic Highways. I am talking about a local name change or name addition.