• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Someone enlighten me if I am wrong..but if the plat fees were collected IN this district FOR this district why is there any issues if they are spent on what they are collected for? As a long time SOWAL resident I have seen us come up on the short end of the stick for a long time. So what if some of the money generated in this area is spent in this area? Not sure if any of you knew or even remember Ms. McCall (I did and do) and I am certain that she would be proud to see her vision of the place she donated the land for FINALLY being built. Alot of people dont want to or werent around to see the struggles we all went through to get schools built and places for kids to play but they were real and we came together and raised hell and money to get what we felt we deserved. I get the sense that some people are blaming their district not having the kind of money for the parks in other districts on no growth..well be careful what you wish for. With that growth comes alot of other problems that cant be fixed and are only getting worse.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
The issue isn't whether or not you "deserved" the park. Even I agree that parks are a good thing especially parks that promote healthy activities for the children in this county. The issue is a $600 thousand dollar press box and county employees being used & paid to clean the concession stand. These are your children Sowal, you use the park, clean up after your own children like they have to do in every other park in the county.

I don't think anyone here is even opposed to a press box/concession stand, admittedly one was needed but holy cow $600 thousand dollars worth? Overkill!

Walton13

Beach Crab
Feb 3, 2018
Defuniak
Ashley is wrong about the DFS football league they play on a city owned field maintained by the county. The buildings are owned by the city and operated by the football league. Walton County Employees never have to step a foot inside their concession stands because they clean up behind themselves. If they want an improvement to the buildings they buy their own material and the county provides the labor

Now explain to me Ashley why do you think we deserve a palace taken care of by the county when other areas of our county have to finance their own recreation activities.

Oh yes your children do not play there do they.

Walton13

Beach Crab
Feb 3, 2018
Defuniak
Thank you Mrs. Suzanne Harris for attempting to clarify the facts regarding the Defuniak League. I am thier league President. Yes Ashley was WRONG. The new press box she is referring to in the Sowal Forum is a rehab job donated materials from Kiwanis here in Defuniak Springs. The inmate work crew did the work and the overages were paid for by OUR football league. The inside of the building isn't closed in yet. Myself and my husband will be doing the work and the league will pay for supplies from fund raising we do. The team meeting room she is referring to is the other half of our building the city gave to us and Lowes here in DeFuniak made us thier Hero Project for the year. This room is used for our after school homework program we are doing. Our league kids get off the bus at the field with me and we do homework prior to practices everyday. This helps not only the child but the parent. Several Lowes employees, myself and my husband did the work. We clean OUR OWN concessions and clean OUR park ourselves after every practice and game. The cover over our outdoor cook area the county gave us the lumber and our league paid the rest and had it erected. The stove, refrigerator, ice machine and freezer in our concession stand we bought and paid for. We appreciate all the help and assistance given to our league. That being said. I agree Helen McCall park is ridiculous. It is in dire need of any upgrade. But with that being said $600,000 for a concession and bathroom is ridiculous I agree. Our cinder block restrooms work just fine. I would rather that money be split between South Walton and Freeport so both areas could have nice parks. Not one an elaborate showcase and Freeport get nothing. We at Walton are happy with our facilities. We as a league keep it that way. Spread the wealth and accommodate ALL the children in our county.

Last edited:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Thank you for your service to our children Walton 13. You and yours have worked hard to provide a quality program for the children of North Walton and you have my gratitude. I do have some first hand knowledge of youth sports programs, as I have been involved as a coach, parent, board member, officer and referee for over 30 years. As far as football, I have refereed youth games all over northwest Florida and south Alabama. The vast majority of such programs play at the school's facility. The fortunate ones share concessions, although a few leagues pitch tents because the school will not give them access to the concession stand. Kinston is really fortunate because the school built a new fieldhouse and gave the youth league use of the old one. Niceville plays on a multi-use field with no stands and no permanent structures except bathrooms. We are blessed with above average facilities countywide. But they are aging and need upgrades and repairs to keep them safe and usable. County government has an obligation to maintain the facilities it owns (Helen McCall for example) and to assist leagues that own their own (DeFuniak Little League for example.) Recreation plat fees are special funds that should be spent in the area impacted by the development that paid those fees. But those fees are a drop in the bucket compared to total county funds as the general fund is over 150 million dollars. The county also has access to labor at a greatly reduced cost (inmates) and providing that labor trains those individuals in skills that hopefully keep them out of jail in the future. The problem with the 600,000 press box/concession stand is that, as Walton 13 stated, the same structure could have been build at a greatly reduced price and been just as functional and safe. The savings could be used then to build other facilities such as pickleball or tennis or lights at the new park in the same district. Or maybe purchase land for future facilities. If District 5 can provide their recreation needs from those plat fee funds, that allows funding for the other districts to come from general funds and everyone in the county is better off. The goal should always be to get the biggest bang for our bucks and to serve the most people possible with quality facilities and infrastructure.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Danny, was some of the District 5 plat monies donated to Commissioner Chapmans District for a roof job on one of tbe community centers?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Danny, was some of the District 5 plat monies donated to Commissioner Chapmans District for a roof job on one of tbe community centers?

July 26, 2017

District 1 had over $100,000 in Recreation Plat fees. Valley View Community Center is in District 1 Chapman's district.

Why then is Anderson giving District 5 Plat fees to District 1 to repair the community center? This has been done in the past but only because none of the other districts had any Plat fees.

(My guess is that's how much a co-chair seat on the board costs.)

Read on..

Especially since Commissioner Comander commented yesterday
At the BCC meeting "We just don't have the money for the recreation facilities planned for the south Walton Sports Complex." She suggested south Walton pay for these facilities including tennis courts, walking paths, playground, water feature and other much needed facilities by establishing a GO Fund Me Account". Cecilia Jones piped in that we needed more ball fields and that we have the money to build those. So all you will get South Walton is more ball fields unless you pay for it yourself.

Really? South Walton's property taxes raised 16 million more than last year. But the county voted to spend only 4 million or 25% of that in south Walton. Don't you think 50% would be more equitable considering the growth they are approving?
Property Tax revenues this year are 68 million total with about 89% of that raised in the sports complex service area.

Another 5-7 million was given the county in a BP settlement in 2013-14. The Triumph fund will generate about 50 million over the next 15 years for Walton County.

State Dot grants equal about 3-4 million a year to pave rural roads north of the Bay. Gas tax and sales tax also raise millions. The Loves in Mossy Head alone is projected to raise $1 million dollars in gas tax. The bridge fund gave another $6 million in excess and the county is purchasing land just north of the bay for a swimming/picnic park.

In addition, State Grants, in 2014 totaled 80 million dollars including Mossy Head Sewage Treatment Plant, Fairgrounds Renovations and much more.

And they want to collect another 1/2 cent sales tax from you every time you purchase items for your family? Really?

So please don't insult the citizens of Walton County by telling us we don't have the funds to complete the recreation facilities in the south Walton Sports Complex and don't insult the citizens further by suggesting A GO FUND Me Account!

Cecilia Jones made an ardent plea that "we are all one county". So act like it please. Don't just give the citizens lip service.

www.facebook.com/Waltonpolitics

Walton13

Beach Crab
Feb 3, 2018
Defuniak
Ashley is wrong again

Defuniak didn't have a team meeting room built on to the facility. They knocked out an interior wall to make that old block building one big room and then did a lot of cleaning and painting. The existing building that Ashley thinks is brand new was built back in the 60's and used as the old field house for Walton High School football

The league took an old building and made it better for a lot less than 600,000.00

Might I add it was made alot better through donations and league fund raising!!!! Our building is 50 plus years old. And that's ok with us. Our press box we had to climb through a hole in the floor to get to the second floor to announcing for years until our rehab. Again I do think Helen McCall needs new park. Thiers is ridiculously in need of repairs. I have seen thier facilities and yes it's a shame the volunteers are having to work in there. Just not to the tune of $600,000. I do hope the children in their community do get some better facilties. I simply wanted to set the record straight that our renovations had nothing to do with Platt monies, tax payers dollars or county funding as was stated on this forum.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Bob Wells you are correct that plat fees were moved between districts to repair a roof on a community center. Apparently this was done without even getting an agreement to continue allowing use of the facility for elderly congregate meals as they have since been barred.
Kaydence, the fair really shouldn't be in the list of county income as it is a not-for-profit and does not belong to the county.
The TIFF funding is ridiculous. Why pass such a law if you are not going to live by it. All it is is political window-dressing.
Helen McCall certainly needs renovating as Walton 13 points out. Freeport also needs restrooms and a press/concession area for their football/soccer field and the DFS Little League needs netting over their backstops. Every area needs adult recreation opportunities. Goodness, when I was a teenager 40 years ago the county had tennis courts and basketball courts scattered around the county and back then Walton County was one of the poorest counties in the state. We also had far larger work crews in the districts and employed 100's of young people during the summer. It is called managing efficiently the resources you have.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
@Danny Glidewell That post was from Walton Politics (I did link it) and it does say those were STATE GRANTS. I realize the fair building does not belong to the County. In reading that post, I felt the attempt was to show the amount of money received overall in State Grants and how the money was spent not whether or not it should have been included in County income.

You also wrote:
Bob Wells you are correct that plat fees were moved between districts to repair a roof on a community center. Apparently this was done without even getting an agreement to continue allowing use of the facility for elderly congregate meals as they have since been barred.
REALLY? REALLY? I just can't even put into words how mind boggling that is and I hope Chapman is never ever in a position to need a meal!! I'd let him starve.

Last but not least I don't think there is anyone here who doesn't agree that our (NoWal & SoWal) recreation facilities need renovations and improvements. That was never the issue...a $600 thousand dollar press box and County employees being paid to clean them is! It is also about fundraising and not expecting everything to be handed to you on a silver platter because of who your momma is or where you live in the County!! SoWal is NO BETTER than NoWal in that regard.