• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

MorningGlory

Beach Lover
Jul 18, 2016
sowal
July 26, 2017

District 1 had over $100,000 in Recreation Plat fees. Valley View Community Center is in District 1 Chapman's district.

Why then is Anderson giving District 5 Plat fees to District 1 to repair the community center? This has been done in the past but only because none of the other districts had any Plat fees.

(My guess is that's how much a co-chair seat on the board costs.)

Read on..

Especially since Commissioner Comander commented yesterday
At the BCC meeting "We just don't have the money for the recreation facilities planned for the south Walton Sports Complex." She suggested south Walton pay for these facilities including tennis courts, walking paths, playground, water feature and other much needed facilities by establishing a GO Fund Me Account". Cecilia Jones piped in that we needed more ball fields and that we have the money to build those. So all you will get South Walton is more ball fields unless you pay for it yourself.

Really? South Walton's property taxes raised 16 million more than last year. But the county voted to spend only 4 million or 25% of that in south Walton. Don't you think 50% would be more equitable considering the growth they are approving?
Property Tax revenues this year are 68 million total with about 89% of that raised in the sports complex service area.

Another 5-7 million was given the county in a BP settlement in 2013-14. The Triumph fund will generate about 50 million over the next 15 years for Walton County.

State Dot grants equal about 3-4 million a year to pave rural roads north of the Bay. Gas tax and sales tax also raise millions. The Loves in Mossy Head alone is projected to raise $1 million dollars in gas tax. The bridge fund gave another $6 million in excess and the county is purchasing land just north of the bay for a swimming/picnic park.

In addition, State Grants, in 2014 totaled 80 million dollars including Mossy Head Sewage Treatment Plant, Fairgrounds Renovations and much more.

And they want to collect another 1/2 cent sales tax from you every time you purchase items for your family? Really?

So please don't insult the citizens of Walton County by telling us we don't have the funds to complete the recreation facilities in the south Walton Sports Complex and don't insult the citizens further by suggesting A GO FUND Me Account!

Cecilia Jones made an ardent plea that "we are all one county". So act like it please. Don't just give the citizens lip service.

www.facebook.com/Waltonpolitics

YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME!!! Seriously???? A GO FUND ME account!!!! Maybe that suggestion needs to be made to them that are up for re election this time! However I'd probably tweek the name a bit just for them!!!!!

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
@Danny Glidewell,
Apparently this was done without even getting an agreement to continue allowing use of the facility for elderly congregate meals as they have since been barred.

What can be done to FIX that?

As someone said to me earlier, the county spent thousands of dollars to repair a building they have no control over and basically paid for a photo op!!

It also makes no sense to spend preservation funds to build a boat dock in district 1 when recreation fees for that district were available!!

No rhyme or reason to this madness!!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
@Danny Glidewell,

What can be done to FIX that?

As someone said to me earlier, the county spent thousands of dollars to repair a building they have no control over and basically paid for a photo op!!

It also makes no sense to spend preservation funds to build a boat dock in district 1 when recreation fees for that district were available!!

No rhyme or reason to this madness!!

What can and should be done is for the BCC to do it's research and due diligence and make sure that tax dollars are expended on projects where the public receives benefit and the county (and taxpayers) have use. Repairing a building and then watching the elderly get kicked out is not a look we need.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
What can and should be done is for the BCC to do it's research and due diligence and make sure that tax dollars are expended on projects where the public receives benefit and the county (and taxpayers) have use. Repairing a building and then watching the elderly get kicked out is not a look we need.

I was told today that there are trustees that control the building and there is a revert-er clause which goes to a family (not sure who the family is) but why would the County even be involved if that's true?

einnadica

Beach Lover
Nov 25, 2017
NW Florida
on what do those commishes (and the district commish) base their decision? Anecdotal evidence? Has the Parks director or stand-low stan actually collected information in the form of a comprehensive report of the “state of the parks” that includes for EACH park at least some if not all of this info: size, frequency and numbers of people using vs #s of residents intended to serve, amenities, condition, last major and minor overhaul, % of the total parks in the district each park represents, value of park and depreciation of equipment, cost of maintaining including numbers of employees and extrapolated wages, photos (or maybe commishes should tour all facilities as a group), any safety issues, costs to insure, plus, plus, plus, and then do an analysis?

Exactly! Commishes, stop making decisions in a vacuum. Demand relevant info from staff. Despite his"good to better" mentality based on an out of date business book, the administrator and deps have not created a sense of urgency or "hustle" among the employee base to think critically and comprehensively and provide the commishes with meaningful, on point information. Back to basics, folks!