• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
We HAVE helped pay for “your” beach property, every time a storm wipes out the sand and dunes that hold your home up. Or was that you out there on your bulldozer repairing the beach so your home didn’t sink? For me, that’s many hurricanes in the 50 years I’ve paid taxes to Walton County.
I have NEVER had a bulldozer on my property to "hold my home up." Does that mean I'm exempt from customary-take or your self entitlement to use my private property I pay more taxes on than you?

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
We HAVE helped pay for “your” beach property, every time a storm wipes out the sand and dunes that hold your home up. Or was that you out there on your bulldozer repairing the beach so your home didn’t sink? For me, that’s many hurricanes in the 50 years I’ve paid taxes to Walton County.

Actually you aren't correct. We have DECLINED any beach replenishment because that does trigger public use. And further you aren't the county, so no YOU have not paid for my beach property anymore than I paid for yours because the county put the road in that connects to your driveway suddenly makes me able to park in your driveway whenever I want.

Last edited:

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
I hope the day never comes, but if those that claim title to beaches need tax dollars to repair/ renourish, I am sure you will bappily decline.

As they should. If they don't then they do open themselves up to public use. It's just like having a private road - if the county repaves it then it becomes a public road.

This is not controvertible and no one is arguing this principle that I know of. Has nothing to do with customary use of private property.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
When Beach Re-Nourishment was being discussed, I know of 12 beach front owners that wanted to pay for their own re-nourishment and the County declined.
There was a proposal made that beachfront owners would pay their share of re-nourishment if it would keep an ECL from being established on their property and the claim was that it couldn't be done that way. I know several people that had their own sand brought in to shore up their dunes and paid for out of their own pocket after Hurricane Dennis. Not sure where the idea came from that County taxes have been paying for re-nourishment anywhere except possibly on the west end (Miramar Beach area) back in 2006 timeframe.

Jul 10, 2017
DeFuniak Springs
I don't know what specific beaches you have been using. You and your locals, visitors, friends and family haven't enjoyed access to our private beach - if you had been using it - I would have sent all of you a bill for a portion of the annual taxes we pay which includes our beach to MHLW. It's approx $300,000 per year for the beach, how would you like to pay for your share of county taxes for the our beach? Installments or annual payment? Let me know. I pay to use my beach and so should you to use my beach.

Money can buy you a beach front house but it doesn’t look like it can make you a good person.

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
Actually you aren't correct. We have DECLINED any beach replenishment because that does trigger customary use. And further you aren't the county, so no YOU have not paid for my beach property anymore than I paid for yours because the county put the road in that connects to your driveway suddenly makes me able to park in your driveway whenever I want.
Money can buy you a beach front house but it doesn’t look like it can make you a good person.

I was of course exaggerating to make a point. But, are you suggesting that in order to be a good person I need to let unlimited public use my property and I have no right to ask for anything for it, but pay for it all? If so there will be a lot of bad people living in subdivisions and condos all over our nation. I'll make you a deal - you can come use my property anytime you like as long as I and my friends can come use your property anytime we like. That will make us both "good people" won't it?

I had no idea this was the standard of being a "good person"- to let the public use everything you own without question. Do you
recognize the right to property?

Please tell me how being a "good person" is related to the American Convention on Human Rights (2) below.

A right to property is recognized in Article 17 of the Universal Declaration of Human Rights. The American Convention on Human Rights (ACHR) recognises the right to protection of property, including the right to "just compensation"

(1) Everyone has the right to the use and enjoyment of his property. The law may subordinate such use and enjoyment to the interest of society.

(2) No one shall be deprived of his property except upon payment of just compensation, for reasons of public utility or social interest, and in the cases and according to the forms established by law. (3) Usury and any other form of exploitation of man by man shall be prohibited by law.

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
The beach front properties should have never been recorded to the mean high tide line.

The beaches are for all to enjoy - see you in court - ENTITILED POMPASS BEACH FRONT OWNERS.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
The beach front properties should have never been recorded to the mean high tide line.

The beaches are for all to enjoy - see you in court - ENTITILED POMPASS BEACH FRONT OWNERS.
If time could be turned back and deeds did not include the dry sand, things would be very different today. Seems that people who don't own or pay for the dry sand may be the ones acting entitled and pompass, but do you really think that calling names and demeaning people will improve the situation?

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach

If you can prove that in court, then who is to blame for that and who will compensate the "pompass entitled beach front owners"? You?

Saying "should have never" isn't a valid argument. According to whom? You? If anything they have since the days of the King, so that's pretty ancient isn't it? Owning to the MHWL has been ancient, uninterrupted, and without dispute. Aren't those the criteria you guys always use to say the property is yours?

If that's the case then why is the county BUYING private parcels? They "shouldn't have to" according to you.

Humm... I don't think you can argue to deny my right to own the property to the MHWL using the same criteria that you are using to promote your ownership of the same property.

I worked my ass off for every single bit of it thank you very much.

You and Dave Rauschkolb remind me of a Bernie Sanders joke: "Bernie Sanders walks into a bar and yells "Free drinks for everyone! ... who's buying?"

boomerang

Beach Lover
May 11, 2015
then why has this not been a problem for the last 50 years? because the beach front owners then were not entitled and pompous - and did not build big high houses that blocked everyones view.

they were just thankful to be here.