• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Santa Rosa Pete

Beach Comber
Jul 6, 2005
ATL & SRB
Where are all these "crowds" I'm hearing about? In 2+ years of owning a home in SRB, I can't remember a single instance where I felt like 30-A was congested or that a line in a restaurant was too long. You do have to creep through Seaside in the summer because there's so much pedestrian traffic but I've never felt like there were too many people crammed into a confined space. Of course, I'm from ATL so everything's relative. I'd say the worst day along 30-A (traffic-wise) is better than any early Sunday morning in Atlanta. If I were you, I'd head on down anytime this spring or summer and not worry a bit about long lines and congestion.

Besides, how bad is it if you find yourself in a line of traffic and all you have to do is look one way and see the beach or look the other way and see brightly colored houses or Mother Nature's Dune Lakes. Have fun!

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
I'm going to come to SoWal in June this year, for the first time during peak season. I called the guests at our cottages yesterday (spring break guests) and they said the area was pretty quiet (and they said the beaches looked great which is good to hear given our concerns about the dunes, construction, etc. The guests last week said the same thing. I think those of us who live/own property in the area look at different things -- e.g., dunes, construction -- than many of the guests look at when they are here for a short time). Anyway, I think the crowds and traffic depend on where you are on 30A, not only the time of year that you are here.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Don't listen to BR, she is confused. :funn: May is the worst month of the year to visit our beaches. The biting Dog Flies, the dreaded blood-sucking Deer Flies, Sharks come in really close to the beaches, Alligators are becoming active, Snakes are very active, usually bad weather, terrible sunsets, Mosquitos are out and about so the Mosquito Control people spray poison constantly, sometimes via airplane to kill the Dog Flies, clouds usually block the sunsets, fishing is terrible, and most restaurants are closed because they are taking a quick break before the summer crowd arrives. I "May" have left out a few reasons not to come in May. Everything in May is just aweful at the beach. I highly recommend a later date. Why do you think the rental agencies give a price break in May? See reasons above. In May, I tend to stay inside to avoid all of the problems.

shakennotstirred

Beach Fanatic
Jan 5, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Smiling JOe said:
Don't listen to BR, she is confused. :funn: May is the worst month of the year to visit our beaches. The biting Dog Flies, the dreaded blood-sucking Deer Flies, Sharks come in really close to the beaches, Alligators are becoming active, Snakes are very active, usually bad weather, terrible sunsets, Mosquitos are out and about so the Mosquito Control people spray poison constantly, sometimes via airplane to kill the Dog Flies, clouds usually block the sunsets, fishing is terrible, and most restaurants are closed because they are taking a quick break before the summer crowd arrives. I "May" have left out a few reasons not to come in May. Everything in May is just aweful at the beach. I highly recommend a later date. Why do you think the rental agencies give a price break in May? See reasons above. In May, I tend to stay inside to avoid all of the problems.

That just sounds awful! It is worse than October? Is that possible? ;-)

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
We visit in late May or early June. We prefer to come before the holiday weekend because of the rates. However we have arrived on the holiday weekend in the past and while it was busier it wasn't unbearable. It was worse on the beach during the weekend itself and did seem a bit quieter by Tuesday. We are pretty easy going, and don't mind a bit of a wait. We do however stay right around 30A and don't try to fight the mess in Destin for dinner or shopping. We are braving that week again this year, arriving on the holiday weekend so it didn't scare us away. Have funn whenever you get there.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
shakennotstirred said:
That just sounds awful! It is worse than October? Is that possible? ;-)
Yes, May is worse than October.:blink: May is definitely the worst, with October pulling a close number two.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Chickpea said:
:nono1: but also :bow: clever - you forgot those yellow flies too....
Thanks, sweetie, but the yellow fly's common name is Deer Fly. ;-) Can you think of some other reasons why all tourists should delay beach vacations until June? I know I am leaving out a few.

OnMackBayou

Beach Lover
May 15, 2005
Mack Bayou, Sandestin
They are planning on restoring the beach at Miramar as part of the job that recently began at Sandestin. It might be finished by the middle of May in that area. The best time to go would be the time between Mother's Day and Memorial Day. The water temperature will be perfect.

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Smiling JOe said:

Is it time to bring out the VINEGAR SPRAY?
spray.jpg

BTW - If you are talking Destin area, it will be busier. Go there though --- I hear they have fewer pests! I guess they sent them all east... :funn:

:welcome: Missouri Girl! You'll have a great vacation! :D