• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Im certainly not the only one guilty of having an attitude on this forum (including yourself). I think we're all passionate about this subject and it can get heated but I do respect beachfront owners opinions. Ive stated multiple times that I sympathize with their side.

I firmly believe that the beaches should be open for all to enjoy. Im sorry if that hurts you feelings but I wouldn't say thats disrespectful.

You sure bring out the best in others...NOT!!!

formosa64

Beach Lover
Apr 18, 2017
Seacrest Beach
Writing a bill and passing a bill are two completely different animals. Writing the bill placates one side. Not passing the bill placates the other side. The bill will go nowhere. The courts will decide.

While this is true - the bill is passed by both House/Senate, is now enrolled and is being sent to the Governor for signature.
So now we need to have a bleeding heart for beach front homeowners because of their expenses and cost of buying?

Just because you live is Seaside, Rosemary, or Sandestin does not mean that you are a beachfront owner. In fact the beachfront homeowners in those communities do NOT own any of the beach because it is owned by the community itself.

This is quibblng and just isn't correct.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
Writing a bill and passing a bill are two completely different animals. Writing the bill placates one side. Not passing the bill placates the other side. The bill will go nowhere. The courts will decide.

FYI, the courts HAVE decided and the bill just passed statutorily commands what the FL Supreme Court had already decreed. The WBCC ignored the process demanded by existing law, state and federal. Had it not done so, taxpayers on both sides of the issue would have millions in their own and the public coffers that have been spent on litigation. That money and the other tens of millions of taxpayer funds Sara was willing to spend litigating this will be available to be better spent on greatly needed infrastructure

If you disagree with the Constitution and Bill of Rights, you are privileged under those very documents to so do. If you wish to change them or other laws, you are required as a matter of law to respect the rights of others, no matter how much you abhor their having those God-given (i.e., inalienable) rights, and you and we all are required to follow the law in seeking perceived and desired redress.

We all are subject to the same laws and requirements and ignore them at our peril. Allowing the WBCC to ignore the law and our rights as U.S. citizens is very dangerous for al of us. If you believe otherwise, bless your heart.

jkmason

Beach Lover
Mar 10, 2014
Bill requiring courts to decide public access to private beaches heads to Gov. Rick Scott's desk

If signed, the new legislation would go into effect July 1, mooting the Walton County ordinance.

“It is a little bit of a letdown,” Walton County Administrator Larry Jones said. “However, the option of just having a statute that clearly eliminates the option of customary use was a reality we didn’t want to see. So, if this is signed by the governor, there is a path forward, although we’re not sure if it’s the best path.”

The new process eliminates a situation where a dozen landowners sue a county. One suit will decide whether the beach fits the customary use criteria of being ancient, reasonable, without interruption and free from dispute.

Two rounds of mailed notices would go to beachfront owners affected by a proposed customary use law, and a governmental hearing would be held. Finally, any landowners could intervene in the court proceeding.

FactorFiction

Beach Fanatic
Feb 18, 2016
Im certainly not the only one guilty of having an attitude on this forum (including yourself). I think we're all passionate about this subject and it can get heated but I do respect beachfront owners opinions. Ive stated multiple times that I sympathize with their side.

I firmly believe that the beaches should be open for all to enjoy. Im sorry if that hurts you feelings but I wouldn't say thats disrespectful.

My feelings are not hurt. I took your bleeding heart comment more critically that you suggest you meant it. Passion and discussion are fine with me as long as it stays respectful. You clarified and I appreciate it.

lazin&drinkin

Beach Lover
Apr 13, 2010
News-Press, The
Senate measure restores rights to property owners
March 12, 2018

The Florida Senate has passed a bill that deserves the attention of property owners and government entities everywhere.

Property owners in the United States are entitled, according to the U.S. Constitution, to the blessings of five rights regarding their property: possession, enjoyment, use, exclusion, and dispossession. Last year, the Walton County Board of County Commissioners approved an ordinance that denied local beach property owners their right of exclusion.

The ordinance adopted by the commissioners opened privately owned beaches for recreational use by the public. The stated justification for this misguided decision was the "Doctrine of Customary Use." To understand the issue in Walton County, or anywhere else, one must understand this doctrine.

Customary use dates back to British common law. It is law based on precedent, not statute. Consider a person who regularly travels from point A to point B by traversing across another person's private property. This repeated use of another's property for this purpose becomes undisputed over time. Such use thus becomes "customary use" and is considered a legal right, even though neither a king nor a government legalized it by decree or statute. Should a dispute arise in the future, the traveler must prove that his customary use is: (1) ancient; (2) reasonable; (3) without interruption; and (4) free from dispute. When disputes arise over a question of customary use, the issue must be decided in its proper and lawful place - in a court of law, where due process can be exercised.

It is critical to understand that, when such a dispute arises, it is not something to be resolved legislatively. Rather, it is something to be litigated - an issue for a court to decide. When the Board of County Commissioners took the legislative step of enacting its ordinance, it circumvented the due process that is the purview of the judicial branch - a court of law.

Such a case is not without precedent. A 1995 ruling by Florida's Fifth District Court of Appeal held that the customary use doctrine "requires the courts to ascertain in each case the degree of customary and ancient use the beach has been subject to and, in addition, to balance whether the proposed use of the land by the fee owners will interfere with such use enjoyed by the public in the past" (Reynolds v. County of Volusia, 659 So.2d 1186, 1190).

Recently, state Rep. Katie Edwards-Walpole won approval of her bill (CS/HB 631) addressing this issue. That legislation includes language prohibiting local government entities from passing ordinances based upon customary use. The bill does not deny beach access to anyone, but it does direct disputes to the proper and lawful place where they should be settled: the courts. This week Sen. Kathleen Passidomo, R-Naples, saw her bill, SB 804, considered in the Senate chamber. The Senator substituted Edwards bill for hers and the Senate voted its approval. Now the bill has passed its final vote and will be sent to Governor Rick Scott for his signature.

English philosopher John Locke observed, "The only task of the government is the protection of private property." It is good government policy to protect the rights of property owners, with a court system that is fair and objective to handle disputes that arise. Floridians and local government entities will be well-served by this important legislation because it will make sure misguided property rights violation perpetrated by Walton County is not duplicated elsewhere.

Dan Peterson is the director for the Center for Property Rights at The James Madison Institute.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Our family has lived in this area since the 70s and have owned our beachfront to the MHWL property since the 80s. We've not had any beach fortification and don't intend to. Beachfront owners the Goodwins have lived here longer than that. Customary use is not a part of this community's culture. People's and Commissioner Anderson and C. Jones decades of using private property on the beach use do not qualify as ancient use IMO. There have been no metal or security chains or fences pop up on the beach to obstruct public access to the foreshore as many have claimed. Private property signs have been on some Walton private littoral property back decades. Walton County police powers regulate chains, fences, and signs on littoral private property. Not customary use. Walton County ordinances regulating signs violated property owner’s First Amendment Rights and was struck down by the court in 2017. What in the world was Walton County BCC thinking? Some property owners, especially next to public beach north-south access lanes, couldn’t enjoy or use their property they paid a premium for and pay Walton taxes on because Walton County said the public could and many in the community said they could or alternatively didn't say the public couldn't. Walton TDC said the beaches of Walton County are waiting for you! Owners wanted to protect their property rights and the only way the Sheriff said the only way they could was to post signs, have a survey to define your property boundaries, and mark you property bounties. So many property owners did.

No person “told” property owners “they own the rights to the actual beach along the Gulf of Mexico and can do as they wish.” It’s is in their title to the land and protected by the 5th Amendment of the United States and hopefully soon to be Florida statue of due process BEFORE a county can declare a private property rights void. Other communities here in Florida have settled the issue in favor of the property owner. Since 1974 what Florida properties has custom applied that was not overturned by the courts or dismissed? There is no FREE access to our natural resources. Someone pays. Even the 5,000 acres of Walton state parks and miles of public beaches cost the public money or taxes to access. Walton was not “grandfathered” because the BCC failed to provide property owners due process and the other counties did.

Before Walton's unmanaged public expectations and demand moved more people onto private properties without license or permission we didn’t dreamed of claiming private use of our property for our private enjoyment. We didn’t dream of claiming our property as private until some public threaten me physically when I asked them not to use our private property to access the beach from 30A (clear trespass) because they were too lazy to use the nearby public beach access and occupy, sometimes our chairs, but our special place our family has enjoyed for decades because that is our right (and we pay taxes on it). I didn’t dream of claiming our property as private until the BCC unilaterally declared our private property public beach. May we all respect each others private property like we would want others to respect your own property and enjoy the beach. May it always be please.
5th Amendment.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
Could this be privately owned BEACH WITHOUT BOUNDARIES #customary use ; property owners pay Walton property taxes on??? Why not??
Wonder where all those people park, use the restroom, leave their trash?
Beach Without Boundaries.jpg

Attachments

• Beach Without Boundaries umbrellas.jpg
    Beach Without Boundaries umbrellas.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 55

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest
Could this be privately owned BEACH WITHOUT BOUNDARIES #customary use ; property owners pay Walton property taxes on??? Why not??
Wonder where all those people park, use the restroom, leave their trash?
View attachment 70191
I know where they go to the bathroom because I’ve seen 4 people today, and counting, go under the stairs on the dune and potty. They are not spring breakers, but a family with glass bottles and metal shovels. So now the beach looks like Afghanisand and smells like it too. There are some priorities that should be met before customary use.