• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
I know where they go to the bathroom because I’ve seen 4 people today, and counting, go under the stairs on the dune and potty. They are not spring breakers, but a family with glass bottles and metal shovels. So now the beach looks like Afghanisand and smells like it too. There are some priorities that should be met before customary use.
No one takes better care of their property than the one who pays for it, owns it, and is responsible for it. That's why public restrooms are disgusting. Not mine; don't care, someone else will do it.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB
I know where they go to the bathroom because I’ve seen 4 people today, and counting, go under the stairs on the dune and potty. They are not spring breakers, but a family with glass bottles and metal shovels. So now the beach looks like Afghanisand and smells like it too. There are some priorities that should be met before customary use.
Do you mean Afghanistan? When Were you there last?

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Re the picture, the county customary use ordinance doesn't allow tents on the beach south of upland adjacent privately-owned properties, just umbrellas seven feet in diameter or less. Also a 15-foot buffer is required seaward of the toe of the dune or from any permanent habitable structure, whichever is more seaward, in customary use areas. Hope this is helpful.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Could this be privately owned BEACH WITHOUT BOUNDARIES #customary use ; property owners pay Walton property taxes on??? Why not??
Wonder where all those people park, use the restroom, leave their trash?
View attachment 70191

Our poor little pieces of public beach accesses will look like this soon if Customary Use goes away!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Re the picture, the county customary use ordinance doesn't allow tents on the beach south of upland adjacent privately-owned properties, just umbrellas seven feet in diameter or less. Also a 15-foot buffer is required seaward of the toe of the dune or from any permanent habitable structure, whichever is more seaward, in customary use areas. Hope this is helpful.
Good idea...but chances of all the above regulations being enforce by Beach Police....Slim to none.....

Sun Chaser

Beach Lover
Aug 18, 2015
Miramar Beach
Or it will look like Panama City Beach, where all the beaches are public

And those public beaches look gorgeous. I drove along Front Beach Road today for miles along the West End thought how fortunate those people are to not have to deal with a bunch of rich, old angry get-out-of-my-yarders when they just want to go to the beach.

FloridaBeachBum

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2017
Santa Rosa Beach
For information Walton Customary Use Ordinance 2017-10 does not say anything about tents or tent size. Walton’s 24 page Beach Activity Ordinance 2018-01 does. So imagine replacing the photo’s tent canopies with 10 foot umbrellas (what is in the code) OR click on the image below the photo for beach umbrellas. I figured someone would question the image. Was the best (or worse) image I had of an Emerald Coast beach that I had to make the point; “This sand is your sand, This sand is my sand!”.

The Beach Activity Ordinance 2018-01 states;
Sec. 22-54. - Regulation of use and conduct on the beach and water bodies.
(q) It shall be unlawful for any person to use, erect, or possess a tent greater than ten feet by ten feet (10'x10') on the beach at any regional or neighborhood beach access owned, leased, dedicated to, or maintained by the County or TDC. [DOES NOT INCLUDE PUBLIC CUSTOMARY USE OF PRIVATE BEACHFRONT PROPERTY] Tent use as provided in this section shall be limited to the upland one-third (1/3) of the beach. In no event shall this provision prohibit a private property owner, or his or her guest or agent, from using, erecting, or possessing a tent of any size on his or her real property between one hour after sunrise and one hour after dusk.

Tent means a portable shelter of skins [didn’t make that up], canvas, plastic, nylon, or the like, supported by more than one pole or a frame and often secured by ropes fastened to pegs in the ground. The term tent includes, but is not limited to, camping tents, beach tents, and sun shelters.

(r) It shall be unlawful to place beach equipment on the beach within fifteen (15) feet of the water's edge or within fifteen (15) feet of the toe of the dune or line of permanent dune vegetation on any regional or neighborhood beach access.

In my many decades at the beach the Walton Sheriff or Code [Non]Enforcement has NEVER enforced ordinance (r). Unsure why anyone would think Walton would enforce this on public or private property now.

Hope this is helpful.

More public beach use.

Last edited by a moderator: