• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

makoman82

Beach Comber
Jul 10, 2017
Inlet Beach
We are going to be building a new home off of 30a and are wondering if it is allowed, and or feasible/practical to have a potable water well for the home, rather than use public water? The lot is not in a planned community and the water tap fees have not been paid yet. Anyone have experience in this and know the appx costs if it is possible?
Thanks

BlaineAtk

Beach Comber
Mar 31, 2012
I was going this route and assume that you are looking into it for the same reasons as I was.... The incredible cost of the Tap Fees here.

You can call a couple of the well contractors in the area, typically in Freeport or somewhere similar. The bids that I received were around $2k to have them installed with the pumps and ready to go. I was told that you could only do a "Sand Well" as the deeper wells were not allowed down here. When I tried to get approved to have the well done, that is where the run around comes in. I called the county, they informed me that I would need to speak with Regional Utilities about whether or not I was "allowed" to have a well. Regional informed me that if their service was available then I was REQUIRED to use them. I went round and round for months trying to figure out how this worked, finally gave in and just went with the Tap Fee so that I could move on and get the construction rolling.

The well contractors were a wealth of information if you are interested though.

Last time I mentioned that the tap fees here were ridiculous I was blasted by the internet warriors so be prepared lol

Lisa24

Beach Comber
Mar 27, 2018
Freeport
Not sure on the cost. But my neighbor just off of 30A built a house in the last 3 years and had a residential well put in. Regional was readily available. I know they also put in a water conditioner as part of the system. I do know that the cost also depends on how far down they have to drill and if water is even available. We have a lot of lime stone here and it sometimes can cause an issue. If I build I will go with well water just do to the high cost from Regional. If I am not home for two months I still have to pay the same as if I was here every single day.

elgordoboy

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2007
I no longer stay in Dune Allen
I would drink cat urine before I drank the well water around here. It’s not sulfur either that I’m smelling when sprinklers come on so don’t spread that nonsense. I don’t know, it’s just awful and I’ve always thought so. I was on a well for a few months when I first moved here. There are a couple of restaurants that I believe get their water from wells still too. I can taste it in their sodas and sauces/cooking. If you can’t smell it or taste it then bless you. Proceed.