• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
THE COOLEST THINGS OPENING IN AMERICA IN 2018

THRILLIST.com
Jan 2018

This year will see some flight-worthy new things to visit, including a provocative African-American history museum in Alabama, an underwater museum in Florida, and a new spy museum in New York. You don’t need to cross a body of water to take a phenomenal trip this year.

UNDERWATER MUSEUM OF ART
SOUTH WALTON, FLORIDA

Expected opening: Summer
Richmond may have the coolest new art museum in America ABOVE water. Underwater, though? That’s gonna be in South Walton, Florida, a beach community on the Gulf Coast known for its white sand beaches and artificial reefs. Its newest reef will be America’s first underwater sculpture garden, sitting 50 to 60 feet below the surface on an acre of seabed off Grayton Beach State Park. Seven sculptures will greet divers who visit, with names like Propeller in Motion, The Grayt Pineapple, and Amorphous Octopus. Five of the sculptures come from local artists, and JVC’s Dream is a collaboration between one of them, Kevin Reilly, and students from the local Montessori School.

The Coolest Things Opening in America in 2018

More info soon about this project by South Walton Artificial Reef and Cultural Arts Alliance of Walton County.

TimeIsFree

Beach Comber
Sep 25, 2008
Hey Will, I've yet to be able to get out to any of the reefs unfortunately, but am wondering the same re: the art install. i think it will be WAY out in the water, and not sure if one could even access via SCUBA from shore.

it's odd to me that there's been supposedly a few of these reefs installed in SoWal, but nobody posts anything about their experiences on them here. if i goto Grayton, i bet i have a hard time locating the dang thing! and isn't there one now off Inlet Beach?

i have a kayak & an anchor and am ready to explore, but the weather & waves & bugs have never all aligned for me to get out there. hopefully this year!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Agree we need more information about exactly where reefs are now located and the best way to explore them. Snorkeling is the idea. There are some location instructions at Grayton Beach State Park and at the Grayton Beach public beach entrance. Topsail Hill Preserve State Park as well... And other spots on the coast.

We have a SoWal.com home page story that shows Reef locations. Not sure if it includes all installed to date. Will check it out and ask Andy MacAlexander of South Walton Artificial Reef Association for an update.

If anyone here has explored let us know about your experience!