• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

gb_camper

Beach Crab
Mar 28, 2006
My family is headed down to camp at GB in mid April. Was wondering if there was a rental place from whom we could rent a kayak for the week to use on the lake.

Thanks in advance!

Also - first time camping at GB. Have normally spent a week at Ft Pickens in P'cola - but no road to get there due to the Hurricanes. :sosad: Any feedback about camping at GB would be appreciated. Really looking forward to it.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
John R said:
Ono is in Grayton Corners, right at the light. it would appear to be most convenient fo you. it may not actually be named Ono, it may be one of his other companies.

I think it's called Yellowfin there.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
John R said:
Ono is in Grayton Corners, right at the light. it would appear to be most convenient fo you. it may not actually be named Ono, it may be one of his other companies.
That one is called Yellow Fin, but it is the same owner as Ono. Yellow Fin recently moved next door into Grayton Corners Market.

Grayton Beach SP? -- Make reservations!!! They fill up far in advance. I think the camping area is nice, and I have camped at more than my share of National and State Parks. Ask to get a site along the Western Lake (exterior sites) if they are available. It is a bit of a walk to get from the camp sites to the beach area and pavilion, but there is parking there if you want to haul your stuff over. If you want to avoid people, walk 200 yards in either direction from the main beach walkover, and you will have the beach to yourself, except for the occasional beach walker.

I highly recommend GBSP camping and if those are filled, the cabins are pretty cool too and reasonably priced, although they are a mile or two to the west.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
My family and I stayed there last month and really enjoyed it. Not fancy and very "pure" in nature. We were unable to have a space by the lake, but notices 12 and 18 were EXCELLENT sites. NOt 10 feet to the water. The bathhouses are clean and adequate. Our RV sprung a water leak, so we were unable to shower in the motor home. We also built great fires in the pit:)

I saw canoes at the lake, so you may be able to rent them instead of kayaks. The beach was so perfect. Very pristine and I was able to be alone which I love. Not too many folks there, but close enough to walk to Watercolor, Seaside or Grayton Beach. Yes I would stay there again but would book early enough to get #12 or #18. Let us know how it goes.

SJ....where are the cabins? How close are they to the beach?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
iwishiwasthere said:
My family and I stayed there last month and really enjoyed it. Not fancy and very "pure" in nature. We were unable to have a space by the lake, but notices 12 and 18 were EXCELLENT sites. NOt 10 feet to the water. The bathhouses are clean and adequate. Our RV sprung a water leak, so we were unable to shower in the motor home. We also built great fires in the pit:)

I saw canoes at the lake, so you may be able to rent them instead of kayaks. The beach was so perfect. Very pristine and I was able to be alone which I love. Not too many folks there, but close enough to walk to Watercolor, Seaside or Grayton Beach. Yes I would stay there again but would book early enough to get #12 or #18. Let us know how it goes.

SJ....where are the cabins? How close are they to the beach?

Yes, you can rent canoes, but having both canoe and kayaks myself, I recommend the kayaks for the big open lakes. With a canoe, you will struggle more with the least bit of wind on the open lakes, esp Western Lake. Kayaks ride much lower to the surface and are not blown around as much.

GBSP cabins are located in the part of GBSP located west and adjacent to Gulf Trace, which is the first community west of Grayton Beach. Proximity to beach is about the same distance as the campsites. Cabins are a basic small cottage, duplexes in fact, complete with screened back porch, full kitchen, den, bedrooms (2, I think). They are nothing fancy, but having the full kitchens allows you to save money by cooking at home if you are on a tight budget.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
Smiling JOe said:
GBSP cabins are located in the part of GBSP located west and adjacent to Gulf Place, which is the first community west of Grayton Beach.

I think Smiling JOe meant that they are adjacent to Gulf Trace not Gulf Place. Some friends stayed in one of the cabins last year during the off season for a few weeks and loved it.

iwishiwasthere

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Tennessee
Thanks for the kayak suggestion....as I have said before this is a new area ( exploring something other than beaches), so I welcome good ideas.