• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
WHAT REALLY HAPPENED TO THE $221 THOUSAND DOLLARS IN LOST SALES TAX REVENUES...A REFRESHER COURSE. IT'S ALSO PUBLIC RECORD!!

On Oct. 14, 2015, the city manager was Sara Bowers and the finance director was Joe Brown. On that date, the city received a certified letter from Kathryn DuBose, coordinator for the Florida Joint Legislative Auditing Committee. The letter stated that the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2013-14 had not been submitted and the city was three and a half months past the final deadline. The letter warned that failure to respond could result in “having state revenues withheld from your municipality.”

The letter was addressed to Mayor Campbell and signed for by Cecilia Alford. Mayor Campbell did not inform the City Council of the letter or its contents.

Three weeks later, on November 9th, Mayor Campbell received a forwarded copy of a letter sent to Florida Chief Financial Officer Jeff Atwater and Marshall Stranberg, Executive Director of the Florida Department of Revenue. The letter stated that any money not legally pledged for bond service debt would be withheld from the city DeFuniak Springs due to its failure to submit the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2013-14. The letter was signed by Ms. DuBose and a copy was sent to Mayor Campbell. Mayor Campbell did not inform the City Council of the letter or its contents.

On the same day, Ms. Dubose sent a letter directly to Mayor Campbell, signed for by Cecilia Alford, in which Ms. DuBose outlined the details of the planned withholding of funds described in her letter to the state. A copy of this letter was also enclosed and addressed to Sara Bowers and intended for the City Council. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Ms. Bowers informed the Council of the letter or its contents.

Two months later, on January 20, 2016, the Joint Legislative Auditing Committee sent an email which contained copies of the certified letters sent to the city regarding the state having withheld $89,687 in half-cent sales tax revenue from the city. The email was sent to Mayor Campbell and Ms. Bowers. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Ms. Bowers informed the Council of the email or its contents.

On January 28, Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Cindy Permenter received an email from Debbie White, a CPA analyst with the Joint Legislative Auditing Committee. Ms. White stated that an additional $74,581 had been withheld from the city. None of the recipients informed the Council of the email or its contents.

About 10 days later, Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Ms. Permenter received another email from Ms. DuBose stating that some but not all of the required documentation had been received. The email urged the city to get the required reports to the state by Feb. 15 or face losing more money. Mayor Campbell, Ms. Bowers and Ms. Permenter did not inform the Council of the email or its contents.

On February 9, 2016, Mayor Campbell received a copy of a letter sent by Ms. DuBose to CFO Atwater and DOR Director Stranberg informing them that the State Auditing Committee had finally received the required reports from DeFuniak Springs regarding its 2013-14 annual financial report and audit. No further funds would be withheld. Mayor Campbell did not inform the Council of the letter or its contents.

Sadly, eight months later, on Nov. 3, 2016, the entire process started all over again. Mayor Campbell received another certified letter from Ms. DuBose stating that her agency had not received the required financial reports for Fiscal Year 2014-15 and warned that state revenue funds would be withheld again if the city failed to do so. This certified letter was signed for by former city Finance Director Joe Brown. Neither Mayor Campbell nor Mr. Brown informed the Council of the letter or its contents.

On February 6, Mayor Campbell was notified that the state would be withholding state revenue funds unless the required financial reports were received by March 9.

It was during this period that Interim City Manager Tilman Mears discovered the problem and brought the matter to the attention of the City Council.

Over two months later, on May 19, 2017, Ms. DuBose notified CFO Atwater and the Department of Revenue that the required 2014-2015 reports from the city of DeFuniak had finally been received and the city should be removed from the state’s withholding list.

Recently, in an email to City Attorney Clayton Adkinson, dated June 1, 2017, Roger Hinson of the Department of Revenue stated that, in summary, $65,068 was withheld in 2015, $49,933 was withheld in 2016 and $105,944 was withheld in 2017. That is a grand total of $220,945 of revenue the city of DeFuniak Springs has lost, due to the gross negligence of city staff and Mayor Bob Campbell, whose name was on every document.

To date, Mayor Bob Campbell’s actions have cost the City almost 1/4 million dollars in lost revenue that the City cannot recoup. At any time during the course of these events Mayor Campbell could and should have at the very least dropped the letters in the mailboxes provided to every Council member to avoid the appearance of meeting out of the Sunshine and failed to do so.

In Mr. Adkinson’s June 6 report to the Council, he stated:

“It is clear from the documents, that the City apparently received those documents. However, what is missing from these documents is any response from the City in regards to any of the certified letters that were forwarded to the City. During my discussion with Ms. White, she advised that the reason the Committee had taken the action it did, was that the Committee had never received any response from the city.”

The City did not receive those documents Mayor Campbell did and failed to get them to Council.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
More stench from city government in DeFuniak Springs.

DeFuniak Springs Fires Another City Manager

Mark Douglass,

If you really wan to discuss lies, innuendos, half truths, rumor and who is really spreading them...lets start with this post!!

#1.) The City Council has NOT Fired a City Manager for eons prior to Lucas' dismissal!

A. Mike Standley RESIGNED to take a job with Regional Utilities.
B. Sara Bowers RESIGNED with a lucrative separation agreement and went to work for Freeport!
C. Kim Kirby RESIGNED and is now the Chairman of the Walton County School Board.
D. Interim City Manager Tillman Mears RESIGNED and took another position out of Walton County!

#2.)The City has FIRED one previous Finance Manager.

A. Thomas Carman was fired because he was NOT doing his job!
B. Joe Brown RESIGNED and obviously wasn't doing his job either as he was aware of the letters Mayor Campbell received from the State.
C. John McQue QUIT after only 5 weeks on the job!
D. Sara Bowers was the Finance Director prior to John McQue and took the job as City Manager.

IT'S PUBLIC RECORD MR. DOUGLASS, ASK FOR THEM.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
Misty, you obliviously have anger issues. Perhaps you should seek counseling. Right now you don't remember which windmill you are fighting.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Misty, you obliviously have anger issues. Perhaps you should seek counseling. Right now you don't remember which windmill you are fighting.

I'm not angry but thanks for your concern. Lies, half truths an innuendo that you have helped propagate and then accused me of, is a blatant misrepresentation of the truth..which you are very adept at.

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
I'm not angry but thanks for your concern. Lies, half truths an innuendo that you have helped propagate and then accused me of, is a blatant misrepresentation of the truth..which you are very adept at.
I have not responded to your lengthy tirades nor will not dignify your accusations against me with a response.
Lynda Morse, you do indeed have anger issues as anyone who has seen you speak at WBCC of DFS City Council meetings can attest. Having an opposing opinion is one thing, but being rude, disrespectful, and obnoxious is another. When several citizens at the Lucas termination fiasco expressed an opposing viewpoint to the City Council, you and your cronies labeled them a 'MOB'.

Here is the definition of that word:
Mob [mäb] NOUN
1. a large crowd of people, especially one that is disorderly and intent on causing trouble or violence

These concerned citizens simply wanted their voices to be heard. To label them a mob intent on causing trouble or violence is irresponsible and ill advised. Some members of the audience that addressed the council that evening urged them not to rush this decision, to pray about, and kindly reconsider firing Mr. Lucas. This group included clergymen, black community leaders, businessmen, retired citizens, and former councilmen. Hardly the makeup of a 'MOB'.
This incident has awakened many citizens and mobilized the opposition. They will be better organized in the future. As you like to say.... "VOTE EM OUT"....it just might happen.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
Mr. Douglass,

You wrote:
Lynda Morse, you do indeed have anger issues as anyone who has seen you speak at WBCC of DFS City Council meetings can attest.

I readily admit that I have been just as rude to Cecilia Jones at WCBCC meetings as she has been to her constituents. When she is asked a direct question and refuses to answer to the people of this County she is the PROBLEM. When Ms. Jones is rude and disrespectful that is just exactly what she has gotten back...rudeness and disrespect. I am not the only person at BCC meetings who has shown contempt for her actions either or shown her the same disrespect she has shown to others. No apologies from me on that score.

I readily admit that Mayor Bob Campbell does not know how to conduct a Council meeting and he has allowed his friends to lambaste the Council over the last several months and has violated Robert's Rule of Order to do so. He is another who thinks he doesn't have to answer questions asked of him by constituents and he has gotten back the same disrespect and rudeness that he has shown. No apologies there either!

The REASON some (NOT ALL) were labeled by myself and even Ron Kelley in his most recent Letter to the Editor as a "MOB" are; 1.) Calling someone's employer asking that they be terminated because he/she is bad, he/she is not suitable for his/her position, 3.) vindictiveness, 4.) the venom and vitriol that has been spewed at council for months on end by certain individuals at that meeting, 5.) calling for Council to resign or face a recall election, 6.) Diane Pickett threatening Councilwoman Janie Griffith at that very meeting screaming, "I'm coming for you next" 6.) the disrespect shown to Ms. Griffith as well when that "MOB" refused to come to order (which Bob Campbell didn't call for either, again Robert's Rule of order) after she voted and would not allow her to say why she had voted as she did until I shouted for them to let her speak, 7.) that MOB saying our council members are not qualified for the office they hold even though according to the Supervisor of Elections they are, 8.) and one member of "clergy" who told me to "Shut-up" which promptly earned her my middle finger! No apologies!

Yes, there were people there who spoke respectfully and KUDOS to them but those are not the folks I have referred to as the "MOB". It's the ones who didn't who were there to be "disorderly", and "intent on causing trouble" which some of them have done for months on end.

It is maddening to work (and yes it's almost a full time job) to get ACCURATE information to the citizens of this City and for people to come so ill prepared, angry and misinformed because they like Bob Campbell and assuredly Lucas, no doubt. Some of them didn't want to hear anything except what they wanted to hear and Council members knew that to respond to them was futile! That's sad! The entire Police Department was there because they expected that meeting to go south and it did, very quickly after Council voted.

It's also maddening when PUBLIC RECORDS are so readily available for anyone who wants them but not one of them have taken the opportunity to avail themselves of the documents they actually need to be making informed decisions.

My intent is to tell folks there are 2 sides to every story and the truth is out there and public records do reflect what has transpired over many months and in the case of the audits, over several years.

What angers me about you, is that you don't even attend City Council meetings and I don't recall seeing you at BCC meetings either but you are so ready (as are many of the others who attended that meeting) to believe the absolute worst about the Council because your friends told you something and you bought it hook, line and sinker without ever availing yourself of public records and actually thinking for yourself and making INFORMED decisions.

And that Mr. Douglas has been the problem in this City for the 30 years I've been around. If the "click" ain't happy, ain't nobody going to be happy.

Thank you for once again making this about me (shooting the messenger) and NOT addressing one single issue or PUBLIC document that I have shared here. I completely understand why change has been so long coming to DFS..because some of you want it your way and your way only...no if and or butts about it and are prepared to discredit anyone who get's in your way.

I've had people say worse things about me than "I have anger issues" and frankly, I don't give a damn. If you want to make that determination based off the "rumors" of your friends, I'm actually flattered. It's certainly not because you know me or have ever spoken to me or attended the meetings I have.

People who actually know me know that I am honest to a fault, I want open honest government operated in the sunshine and my mouth has no filters. They like or love me despite my faults!!

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
Again your ranting is all over the map. You have stated nothing that would qualify as an act of violence and without that element there is, by definition, no 'MOB.' Sorry Kaydence, Kermit, and Kelley but you'll need to come up with something better to describe the 'silent majority' that has now risen up to oppose you.
As for you being proud of flipping off a preacher.... I wouldn't walk outside during a thunderstorm if I were you.

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
As for you being proud of flipping off a preacher.... I wouldn't walk outside during a thunderstorm if I were you.

I hope the preacher lady doesn't either.

As to the "silent majority"...75 people does NOT a majority make!

CartoonMark

Beach Lover
Apr 11, 2012
There are many more than just 75 people that want the corruption to end with the DFS City Council. By election day they will be a majority.
Besides, today is May 8th. Don't you have a WBCC meeting to go disrupt?

Kaydence

Beach Fanatic
Jan 19, 2017
Florida
There are many more than just 75 people that want the corruption to end with the DFS City Council. By election day they will be a majority.
Besides, today is May 8th. Don't you have a WBCC meeting to go disrupt?

Again I ask you...what corruption?

Let's see how long the "majority" lasts when people realize they are being misled and told half truths.

Would it surprise you to know Mr. Douglass that Lucas was looking for another job as early as Feb. or March 2018?

Mr Lucas was obviously not happy here and Diane Pickett as well as Ms. Henderson knew it, as they are listed as references on his resume. That resume is also full of half truths about Lucas' accomplishments during his very short tenure with DFS.

The list includes:

1.) Drafted Council Meetings Procedures...Lucas did in fact change council meeting procedures and the Council promptly rejected the new format unanimously with Janie Griffith the single nay vote and they went back to the format that had previously been used. (It was/is user friendly.)

2.) Drafted Community Redevelopment Agency Resolutions....Under PUBLIC COMMENTS at the Feb. 12, 2018 Melinda Henderson inquired to the city about starting a Community Redevelopment Agency (CRA). City Manager Lucas discussed providing additional resolutions and ordinances relating to the Community Redevelopment Agency program to the city council in the near future. There was NO ACTION taken by Council and the resolutions/ordinances Lucas spoke of never actually materialized. (Has anyone else noticed that Ms. Henderson and Lucas "appeared" to be working exclusively together to bring about change but only spoke of their desires under public comment where the city does NOT have to take any action???)

3.) Police Benevolent Association Negotiations...Lucas' sat in on but offered no input in regard to contract negotiations with Union members of the DFS Police Department. Those meetings are generally open to the public.

4.) Created Municipal seminars program through the Florida League of cities....Lucas actually discussed the Florida League of Cities and Florida Institute of Government Seminars. The Seminars for April 9th, 10th, and 11th were approved but as far as actually creating those seminars he DID NOT.

5.) Developed Red Flags Identity Theft and Data Breach Program... umm NO he did not develop anything. There was discussion at the last City Council meeting prior to Lucas' termination about implementing such a program and the Council unanimously voted to go out for bids to accounting firms to hire a firm who could develop such a program. 5-0 Vote!

6.) Instituted Marvel of Flight Command Staff for the Defuniak Springs Airport. Again, NO he did not. Marvel of Flight has operated quite successfully for 8 years prior to Lucas' tenure. Mr Lucas appeared at a dinner which was hosted for Marvel of Flight and that was the extent of his involvement. He did not actually attend any of the Marvel of Flight activities the first day and the second day was a wash because of inclement weather.

Lucas DID NOT lie on that application and say that he was a graduate of colleges he registered to but never actually attended. It should also be noted in regard to his past employment that at least 2 of the jobs he listed on his application he was asked to resign from and his tenures with others were very short lived.

Attachments

• CC - City Documents -Danny Lucas Application - APPV 5-4-2018 - AMD (2).pdf
    134.7 KB · Views: 80
  • Danny Lucas Resume (2).pdf
    130 KB · Views: 208