• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

James Bentwood

Beach Fanatic
Feb 24, 2005
If the public can not be respectful enough to private, or public, property and not clean up after themselves they can not have permission to "loiter" on my property. You can not relieve yourself on my property either. Or contribute to the Poor water quality off the beach. One bad apple spoils the bunch.

If the TDC has trash bags at public property beach or private property, with permission of the property owner, they can drive on public property below the MHWL or on the public road to the public beach access point to get the bags on the beach or get permission of the upland property owner to cross private property to collect the bags. Walton TDC does not have permission to be on my property. That's the law.
If we were unable to overcome the bad apple premise we wouldn't have a society. Sounds like you are a bad apple by being totally unyielding. Also I was suggesting no trash cans on the beach, only at parking areas. people would have to pick up trash or face fines. TDC would have to pick up whatever trash might be left.

Again - it goes back to Walton County being too lax. Start enforcing and people will get the message. It will take a few years but we can improve people's behavior greatly. The bad apples will be seen as bad apples - not part of the spoiled bunch.

If you don't want people on your property then don't live on the beach. Otherwise you will never be happy. Life's too short to battle nature. Your money can't make the problem go away. You just embarrass yourself and ruin a good day at the beach for the majority of people you share the earth with. They aren't going away. Don't let sea level rise be your karma. Be nice or leave.

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
I am really just trying to promote the whole "why can't we all just get along" line of thinking. I just got back from a long beach walk and hit the trifecta--saw several sharks and rays but also a turtle (near Huckabee's} and it made my day. I rarely see turtles; it was awesome! Luckily it wasn't after July 1st and I didn't sit down, I guess. If we could all try to share I would be most appreciative. I think some (and just some) beachfront owners are being niggardly and selfish. I assume that those folks are the type who won't let you merge in traffic or spot you a buck at Publix if you're out of change. This is just my supposition, however. Nice day to all, it's absolutely gorgeous out there.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa

I linked this same piece in the other thread just a few minutes ago. Gotta love these quotes at the end. Outsiders? What a pompous ---.

Standing on the balcony of his $3.6 million home, Hackmeyer pointed at two people with a beach umbrella among homeowners and renters along the 1,000-foot stretch of beach in front of his gated community.
“Those people are outsiders. I’m pretty sure, but I can’t do anything about it until July the first. They’re trespassing,” Hackmeyer said.

And the best one:
“Those people are totally hell-bent on taking private beaches,” he said, sipping coffee from a God Loves Republicans cup. “If you let Walton County confiscate private property, we become like Venezuela and Cuba.”

I guess my question is, how many others are there like this? I'm hoping there won't be any physical confrontations, but I'd bet a grouper sandwich there will be. I was down a week or so ago and noticed the TDC is covering all fees for folks wanting to use the state park, which seems to be causing an overcrowding problem there. And now it's about to get worse. People like me who have been coming to the area for decades, and have developed certain habits as to where and how we set up....it will be a trip ruined within the first 10 minutes on the beach.

But the beauty of the water, the pace, and the lack of high-rises will keep me coming back - but never again between Memorial Day and Labor Day, lol.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
From Southeastern Local newspaper......postings::

The new law won’t change the current rights people have to the beach — except in Walton County.

Unlike two Atlantic Coast counties with similar beach-access ordinances, Walton County’s ordinance doesn’t follow the requirements of the new law. The county didn’t seek court approval before implementing its ordinance and it gave blanket access to all beaches instead of identifying specific parcels of private lands. That’ why it will become void.

Now Walton County is gearing up for more fights.

“It’s pretty scary,” said Theresa Barrett as she prepared to go to one of the county’s public beaches. She said there will be more conflicts between local residents and tourists will be driven elsewhere.

“It’s going to affect business, it’s going to affect property values,” said Barrett, who owns a boutique. “They’ll definitely go elsewhere. You’ve got a whole strip of beach in Panama City Beach, you’ve got St. George Island and all that where they can just pick up and go to those places where they can sit on the beach in peace.”

But Bill Hackmeyer and other property owners also want to enjoy their beach in peace, and they say their property values will be affected if anyone can take advantage of the space many paid millions to have to themselves.

Standing on the balcony of his $3.6 million home, Hackmeyer pointed at two people with a beach umbrella among homeowners and renters along the 1,000-foot stretch of beach in front of his gated community.

“Those people are outsiders. I’m pretty sure, but I can’t do anything about it until July the first. They’re trespassing,” Hackmeyer said.

Hackmeyer has already posted signs on the beach notifying visitors that the Viscaya stretch is private property and violators will be trespassing. Folks can walk along the waterline, or at low tide can stake their claim to sand that was wet a few hours earlier, but Hackmeyer plans to ask people to leave the association’s beach.

“If we don’t reject them, our beach is not going to be our beach. We’ve paid a lot of money for it, but it’s going to be the public’s,” he said. “Once anybody or everybody comes on the beach, whether you like them or not, it’s not exclusive, and property values are based on exclusivity.”

Rauschkolb, who has traveled the world to enjoy the ocean, is one of the more vocal Walton County residents fighting for beach access for all.

He’s proposed ideas to bridge the dispute, including a beach ambassador program that would help educate people about beach rules.

But the issue isn’t going away soon. Walton County commissioners refused to be interviewed for this article, but did issue a press release saying they’re going to follow the new law in an effort to give beach access to all.

Hackmeyer is getting ready to fight Walton County again.

“Those people are totally hell-bent on taking private beaches,” he said, sipping coffee from a God Loves Republicans cup. “If you let Walton County confiscate private property, we become like Venezuela and Cuba.”