• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Hello Jensky old buddy! You are very imaginative and funny and I give you credit for that. Lets move on from the past. There ain't much good back there in terms of civility on both our parts so lets just let that go and move onward. What are your thoughts on a fishing pier in Walton County?

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
No!!!! There is a fishing Pier in FT Walton OR PCB. Fishing piers make it even more difficult on our endangered nesting sea turtles. So many injuries caused by hooks etc.

EZ4144

Beach Lover
Aug 6, 2005
No!!!! There is a fishing Pier in FT Walton OR PCB. Fishing piers make it even more difficult on our endangered nesting sea turtles. So many injuries caused by hooks etc.
Those elitist SoWal turtles would only get hooked to use that against the poor poor folks in Defuniak Springs who would never get a chance to fish without a pier for the unwashed masses!

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
The reality is fishing piers do not hurt sea turtles any more than building on the dunes or any beach activity. A fishing pier is not just for people who fish. Most people who visit a fishing pier are from all economic classes.

What is interesting about us humans is that we SAY we want diversity and inclusion but then we DO things that are really discriminating and excluding like NO to the fishing piers because of the type of people that it may bring. So far the arguments against the fishing pier seem to indicate that it is not about being an eyesore, or cost, or sea turtles, or need or anything other than old fashioned fear of something. It is that something that bothers me because it may be a symptom of a "social class" society.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
The reality is fishing piers do not hurt sea turtles any more than building on the dunes or any beach activity. A fishing pier is not just for people who fish. Most people who visit a fishing pier are from all economic classes.

What is interesting about us humans is that we SAY we want diversity and inclusion but then we DO things that are really discriminating and excluding like NO to the fishing piers because of the type of people that it may bring. So far the arguments against the fishing pier seem to indicate that it is not about being an eyesore, or cost, or sea turtles, or need or anything other than old fashioned fear of something. It is that something that bothers me because it may be a symptom of a "social class"
I haven't read all the post, but until they fix the stuff that is broken I am opposed to the fishing pier. Got nothing to do with social class for me. I do also think it will be an eyesore and I think parking would get even worse.

bob bob

Beach Fanatic
Mar 29, 2017
SRB

What is interesting about us humans is that we SAY we want diversity and inclusion but then we DO things that are really discriminating and excluding like NO to the fishing piers because of the type of people that it may bring. So far the arguments against the fishing pier seem to indicate that it is not about being an eyesore, or cost, or sea turtles, or need or anything other than old fashioned fear of something. It is that something that bothers me because it may be a symptom of a "social class" society.
You're projecting dude. It's about not wanting to Frack up things any further.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
We are already "fracked"! There are hardly any views left along Hwy 30A of the gulf. Please explain how a fishing pier fracks anything. A fishing pier will give the people access to views and fishing that otherwise may never be enjoyed. If I am projecting anything it is that we are becoming a class based society and only the upper class has opportunity for offshore fishing or stunning views that would be provided by a fishing pier. I understand that there are areas of need that should be addressed first but why not just be honest about it. There are thousands of fishing piers built out into the ocean that are assets to their community. The arguments against seem to be coming from a place of bias and prejudice otherwise explain why you believe a fishing pier does not fit into this community visually when there are so many buildings completely blocking the view of the ocean.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
Since you seem to want to couch this discussion in terms of cultural differences between the north and the south, and you keep bringing up the big concrete structures facing the Gulf, can I humbly point out to you that the vast majority of people in the south did not want theses structures, and that they were permitted and condoned overwlemingly by people from the north. Keep trying to impose your vision of what our neighborhood should look like and you will continue to get irritated criticism. We know your position, so stop repeating yourself.

Jenksy

Beach Fanatic
Oct 25, 2012
There's only one person talking about class, division and prejudice The same person that is wrapped in the confederate flag and posted and posted about that issue to divide.

Troll!

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Jensky you know we have a problem in attitude between the people of North and South Walton. You know we have a problem between urban and rural all across this Country. I am no more a troll than anyone who posts in this forum and that includes you. You brought up a subject that is totally unrelated to the fishing pier. That said yes I do see and feel a socio-economic divide between North and South Walton. There are a lot of snarky remarks about people in North Walton coming from this forum. I think South Walton is misdirected in the blame for the problems with over-development. The blame lies squarely on the shoulders of greed and unfortunately greed exists in all humans not just certain groups. The only solution against greed is for all of us to be more unified in purpose. If I am a troll it is to help us be aware that we need each other. Maybe I am wrong but I feel like there are no good reasons that we can't all work together to solve problems no matter where you live, your political affiliation, your economic class, your religion, your ideology etc. We all want the same things. My opinion is that a fishing pier may help us mix a little better. I believe it is a great opportunity. Yes, there are infrastructure and cost issues that must be figured out first but you have to be open minded about it and not use the same old arguments about eyesore and sea turtles and just don't need it. We don't need any more development really but do you think that is going to stop us humans? We need each other to change each other...