• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Easternlake lady

Beach Comber
Jun 17, 2013
We’re on the beach this afternoon where the Eastern Lake outflow is. Code Enforcement just came by and told several families (who had chairs and tents) they had to move. They were set up about 20-25 feet from the water slightly to the west of the San Roy monster home (south of the vacant lot San Roy guy is trying to
build on). One lady said this is the second time this week they have told them they had to move. Apparently the San Roy home owner watches the camera he has set up (from his out of state home) and if anyone has a tent larger than the maximum size (6 ft) he calls the sheriffs office. The code enforcement guy said they could move their (too large) tent a little west to the county owned property by the outfall and they would be okay. Ok - that’s the law/policy.

BUT code enforcement told them today that starting Sunday, July 1, if they set up anywhere on non county land, that guy is going to call them and they will have to move. These people are from Georgia and Louisiana and have no idea what is going on!! They rightly pointed out that folks who are coming down next week for 4th of July holiday are not going to know this and they are going to be furious if they can’t sit on the beach. There were about 15 if us talking and I was the only one who had a clue what was going on. WHAT A MESS!!

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
From our Sheriffs Facebook page today.....
."What I do know is that I cannot in good faith instruct deputy sheriffs to make an arrest for trespassing after warning when I know they cannot be prosecuted. As such, I am directing my deputies not to make arrests for trespass after warning for routine activities such as walking, sitting or transversing the beach. Ultimately, we all have to work together. This is a county that, at the end of the day, the citizens that want to come to use the public beaches and the private property owners who are entitled to the reasonable use and enjoyment of their property have to learn to get along. We have to learn to be good neighbors. I'm optimistic that we can do that." - Sheriff Michael Adkinson on the issue of private property on Walton County Beaches."

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL

Duchess

Beach Lover
Sep 11, 2005
Blue Mountain Beach/Reynoldstown
Easternlakelady, this happens pretty regularly in Blue Mountain, and you're right about the cameras. The homeowner lives in Louisville, Atlanta, Nashville, etc (you pick) and while at work/at golf course/wherever checks the cameras for activity and then calls the security guard or sheriff. They are nowhere near here. Now I get it, I was a non-resident and non-renting owner for a long time, but come on. I have my fingers crossed for civility and kindness on Sunday. I may also have to pack a couple beers in my cooler instead of Diet Cokes;)!

Gidget

Beach Fanatic
May 27, 2009
Blue Mtn Beach!!
Was on beach today at Blue Mtn access and there was a family of 5 without tents but with umbrellas and chairs they had rented. The family was all set up with 2 chairs and 2 umbrellas and beach towels for the kids. The young men working for 30A Shade told them they had to leave. Now, they were not asked to leave because 30A Shade was going to set up more chairs and umbrellas - they had already set up earlier in the morning. Had the families been on towels they could have stayed. They were asked to leave because they had rented equipment from another company - that is what we all gathered anyway. The family just waited a while thinking they really didn't mean it when after a bit they returned and said - you really do have to leave. The wife asked if they were the code enforcers and the young man said no, but he would get a code enforcer there, and the family would be fined $100. By now, the beach was more crowded and the family had to move farther away from their very nice spot which btw, was right next to me and my towel. So if anyone reading this can answer the following I would appreciate it: Was the family asked to move by the employees of 30A Shade because the family had rented chairs from a different company - perhaps 30A Shade has a contract with the homeowner? Is there a 'code enforcer' who can charge someone a $100 fine? There were people in front of this family, to the left and right of this family and behind this family - they just were not in rental chairs. This really put a damper on their holiday beach day - I felt for them. They were so confused and heck, I live here and I am confused as to not only the rules, more more importantly, the enforcement - if any.

Last edited:

Hotzn

Beach Comber
Jun 23, 2017
SRB
The family should have ignored the beach vendors and let them call code enforcement. The officers i have spoken to are all friendly and reasonable. The vendorsv have no authority to say what you can and can't bring to the beach or where you can sit on a public beach.
If everyone would bring their own chairs and umbrellas it could eliminate the sprawling beach vendor problem.
I don't think they should be able to set up on a public beach access at all. Renting chairs to people to use at the public access is fine but claiming all the beach with their empty chairs is ridiculous.