• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
The Seaside show was fantastic as usual, but TDC code enforcement was out in a couple of ATVs going back and forth across the beach stopping everybody from doing fireworks on the beach. This is a first in all the years we've been going to Grayton to watch the craziness. Anybody got the scoop on this?

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
They need to just change the name of Grayton because its not the Grayton Beach we all knew and loved. I knew it was gone when they built the "Pizza Hut HQ" house behind the Red Bar.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
No its not the same any more not even in the winter. I wouldnt dare let my kids (who were toddlers at the time) run around there like I did back then. Where parents could let the kids go house to house by themselves on Halloween and didnt have to worry because there was always at least one set of parents at the entrance to make sure they didnt leave and no one "weird" came in to bother them. It was our funky little town when everybody knew everybody and no one cared what the other people were doing as long as it didnt hurt them or the area. Where you could depend on your neighbor to take care of your stuff (kids included) as if they/it was their own. People in Grayton then shared (food,stories,stuff,homes etc.) and were considerate. Those days and most of those people are gone. Left when it started becoming what it is today.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Agree Grayton Beach has changed a ton over the years like all of South Walton and along the Emerald Coast of Florida.

In my experience, it's still a great place to live, work, play and stay. When I visited with friends as a child in the 70s it was so different.... When we honeymooned and vacationed here throughout the years, it changed and grew and we loved it all. When we moved here in the 90s we still appreciated all of its weirdness and uniqueness. And now? I know many who live there still and who make it their home, their work, their life. They are locals.

We always were super aware of safety for our kid and young kids in a beach town where we have so many strangers visiting. Even 20 years ago. Locals were relaxed but ever cautious.

I miss dogs on the beach. Many of the old families. But there are many still there. The Red Bar remains my favorite spot. And we can still go and hang out but mostly in the off season.

The monster houses are ridiculous. The traffic on weekends outrageous. Vendors on the beach are not a good thing. July is one month we won't do the beach. As locals we know when to go. We have adapted. We love sunsets and moonrise on this beach always.

I miss old Grayton. Will never forget it. But I appreciate the town always. Love our community of artists, good restaurants, fun shops, locals, old and new businesses, and our old friends here who adapt to change because they love their community. We know the people of Grayton. We are proud to work here surrounded by such people. The people do make the place. ❤️

I will always love:
The preserved state park with its coastal dunes and lake. The incredible beaches.. Miles of trails and natural preserved woods and dunes and lake that literally surround the town. The iconic Western Lake pines view from Scenic 30A. Secret trails and marshes. Tucked in and hidden neighborhoods.on the outskirts. Black bears. Deer. Wildlife.. State Park camping and cabins. The pass. Our new artificial reefs and Underwater Museum of Art just offshore. Small fishing charters taking you out to the Gulf. Fishing, kayaking, paddle boarding, biking and hiking. The beach as our children's playground. Playing in the lake all day. Old Florida cottages throughout town. Hibiscus Coffee & Guesthouse. Pelicans. Great Blue Herons. Moonrise and night time on the beach. Full moon kayaking through the tall grasses on the lake. Fall and winter days spent with friends on the beach.. Dread Clampitt. Cold beer. Margaritas. Paneed chicken. Halloween.. 4th of July hometown parade with no registration or pre-planning required. Chanticleer. The peace of Christmas day on the beach and throughout town. Goodness. Memories. New experiences. Forever funky. ❤️

FB_IMG_1530988787680.jpg

Last edited:

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
It was all for show as far as I could tell. Stern looks and shining flashlights about, but no culprints located or tickets issued that I saw. Pretty ridiculous actually.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I remember when people took big nets at the mouth of outflow and another group splashed the water driving fish into the net. Then all involved cleaned the fish and a beach fish fry began.....