• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Microwave a wet washcloth, get it as hot as you can stand it and dab on the bite until you can actually hold it on there. Works on mosquito bites too.

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest
I have now gotten two yellow fly bites in the last week. I must be allergic to these bugs. First I was bit on my ankle and my whole foot was swollen for several days and just when that bite cleared up I was bitten yesterday on my calf. These bites are itchy and my leg is swollen and it's real tight to the point it's very uncomfortable when I walk. Anyone have any remedies, or ways to avoid these bites. Ahhhhhh!
I hope my helpful hints will help. Taking garlic pills as directed might help with the reaction. Washing off the bite with Dawn, then applying deodorant has helped me with itching, but nothing has been 100%. Sorry

Paula

Beach Fanatic
Jan 25, 2005
Michigan but someday in SoWal as well
Try blowing hot air from a hair dryer on the bite(s). I was in Sanibel a few years ago and got a lot of no seeum itchy bites. I was desperate to stop the itching, and I read online that blowing a hot hair dryer on the bites makes the sting go away. It sure did - no itching for about 6 hours and I slept through the night. I also developed a sun allergy that makes me itch on my legs, arms, and neck (it sucks), but I use the hot hair blower technique and it works to stop the itching with the allergy as well. Of course, you have to be careful that you don't burn yourself with the hair blower (because you want it hot -and it actually feels strangely good to feel the sting being sucked away - really, it's strange), and I wouldn't blow a dryer on kids because I wouldn't be able to tell when hot is too hot. You'll love me for this advice :) I use cactus juice to prevent some of the biting. You can also buy these awesomely fun electric tennis rackets that electrocute the bugs - we use these at home with flies (it just stuns flies but kills mosquitos so you ahve to kill the flies after stunning them): https://www.amazon.com/Bugzoff-Elec...31701720&sr=8-14&keywords=electric+bug+zapper

Last edited:

dbmclendon

Beach Comber
Oct 1, 2013
I have now gotten two yellow fly bites in the last week. I must be allergic to these bugs. First I was bit on my ankle and my whole foot was swollen for several days and just when that bite cleared up I was bitten yesterday on my calf. These bites are itchy and my leg is swollen and it's real tight to the point it's very uncomfortable when I walk. Anyone have any remedies, or ways to avoid these bites. Ahhhhhh!
Direct application of a hot compress really helps. Heat a damp wash cloth in the microwave for a minute or two (get it as hot as you can stand it) and apply to the bite. This is most effective when applied ASAP but can help up to several hours later.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I think taking Benadryl immediately after the bite will help prevent the really severe swelling. For prevention, definitely wear socks. For a repellant, anything containing DEET is the absolute best. You can use it sparingly. It literally jams their radar.

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I have multiple yellow fly bites their swollen!does anyone know how to get swelling to go down? Please and thank you for any advice.
Try white vinegar. Lots of it. Apply a good amount several times. This totally makes all sign of the swelling and pain go away for me. Hope it helps.