• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

melissaandgreg

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2009
Thanks everybody for all your helpful advice. I really appreciate it! And dont worry Becki G...I have a terrible time with posting stuff too. This is all new to me. I will ask a stupid question...how do you thank others for their posts, without posting another message?
Melissa

Last edited:

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Anthony,
Thank you so much! I appreciate all the helpful info. I never really thought I would find any shells on the panhandle; I had given up. But last year, there was a huge amount of shells onshore in Destin. It was after a big storm, and it was crazy! The shells were all buried in this huge wall of sand. We spoke to a couple who said they'd been vacationing in Destin for 18 years and never found any shells....anyway, it renewed my love of shelling, so I'm trying to find some good places...I think what happened last year in Destin was a fluke and probably wont happen again. I'm not familiar with the location where you live...how far is Hogtown Bayou from Pensacola? Thanks again, and I love all your shell pictures..very impressive collection! Melissa

About 3 counties away. I'm in Walton County. Santa Rosa Beach. Not Santa Rosa County which is just East of Pensacola.
I've had good luck shelling in Pensacola also once you get away from the crowds. Get onto Pensacola Island (Gonna cost you $1 to go over the bridge onto the island) and then turn right just past the Tom Thumb, go as far as you can and park and the public park. Get on the beach and head West. After about a mile, you will start seeing more shells as most people don't go much further than that and turn around.

melissaandgreg

Beach Crab
Jun 18, 2009
I am so jealous! My husband and I are giving serious consideration regarding a possible move to Florida, in the area of Ft Walton Beach/Destin area, after he graduates from college next May.
Thanks so much for the shelling info, we are coming to Destin for a week next Saturday (Aug 8th) and I am so ready. Thank you! Melissa

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Most beaches will see an uptick in shells following any more powerful T-storms which we have been having for about a day now. Anything that gets waves up a bit will naturally carry in more "stuff".

fishcookies

Beach Comber
Mar 11, 2008
I agree with Anthony about snorkeling along the edge of the lip -- that's always turned them up for me. We visit only once or twice per year, but I find great shells every time and have a wide-ranging collection from just the past 4-5 years. I find scotch bonnets (my favorite) washed up on the beach every time we visit Seagrove, for some reason. Found tons after a good storm, too, but I had to net them in the surf in the early morning before the other beachcombers woke up. :) I've heard many people say you can't find shells on 30-A beaches, but I always do -- they're there if you look... :) (Oh, and if the June grass is onshore, look for sea beans, too. Found some of those last year, including my first "hamburger bean." Cute.)

ASH

Beach Fanatic
Feb 4, 2008
Roosevelt, MN
Shells after a storm

Storm coming in tonight will make for great shelling a few days after. Get out the snorkel!

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
No shells on 30A. At least from our 20 years of experience. Have driven over to Mexico Beach occasionally and have found shells and have seen dolphins. (We have driven Front Beach Road/PCB to Mexico Beach to look at what might remain from decades ago, plus the changes. Heading to Pensacola, we like the Navarre area along the beach to Pensacola. Glad we stay on 30A. Can't imagine Destin or PCB.)
Ellen